D&D General Are You Ready For A "New" D&D?

Are You Ready For A "New" D&D

• No, I am Happy With The Choices I Have

Votes: 71 55.5%
  • Yes, I Want a Truly "New" Version of D&D

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • It's Complicated...

Votes: 32 25.0%

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'm not finished with the stories I'm telling with the current version, so no. I am in favor of minor changes to the rules, but not the system. I could handle additive modules if they are true to 5e and 5.3e (unlike MCDM's Strongholds & Followers which is too complex to see my table).

Small layers, iterations. That's what I want. The journey rules from both LevelUp and Adventurers in Middle Earth are great for example.

Rabbitbait

Adventurer
I'm not ready to go back to the limited options you get in just a players handbook.

That said, I would be happy with a new edition if they were willing to slaughter the sacred cows of D&D and design a new system the relooks at what the ability scores should be, scraps the 3-18 range of ability scores and just uses bonuses, relooks at how skills work and progress and so much more. But I love the feel of D&D and the ubiquitousness of it.

I think the whole "we've got to kill support for this game so that we can create a new game with the old game's branding and call it a new 'edition'" model of ttrpg creation is terrible. I would like to see every game get refined through several iterative editions (what the word "edition" means in most contexts) until it eventually was "finished" with a core that just remained stable and supported until there were no longer the players to justify publishing anything for it. If people are ready for a new game, make them a new game, and give it it's own damned name.

I am excited for all the 5e clone projects and broadly 5e compatible projects on the near horizon. OneD&D is just the least interesting amongst the offerings of the coming clone age. I would rather they just keep supporting core 5e, rather than make 5e-remixed. But I certainly don't have any desire to see yet another completely different game get the "D&D" brand slapped on it.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
scraps the 3-18 range of ability scores and just uses bonuses,
Or how about this. Design a game system where all the values between 3-18 matter We could design a system where ability scores and ability modifiers both matter. We could design a systemwhere every score could be important to every character and make choosing what score goes where a significant choice.

But like @Reynard argee with me, a tweeked old or current edition will be better received than a new one. So innovation will creep forward. We wont get an aedition when a 15 STR matters to a wizard until 9th edition.

The Dream is that 6e pulls a 4e and kills a bunch of sacred cows to fix common complaints. Then 6e dies and 7e picks out the good ideas form 6e's corpse.

I'n not ready for a New D&D. I'm ready for TWO NEW D&Ds.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I think the whole "we've got to kill support for this game so that we can create a new game with the old game's branding and call it a new 'edition'" model of ttrpg creation is terrible. I would like to see every game get refined through several iterative editions (what the word "edition" means in most contexts) until it eventually was "finished" with a core that just remained stable and supported until there were no longer the players to justify publishing anything for it. If people are ready for a new game, make them a new game, and give it it's own damned name.

I am excited for all the 5e clone projects and broadly 5e compatible projects on the near horizon. OneD&D is just the least interesting amongst the offerings of the coming clone age. I would rather they just keep supporting core 5e, rather than make 5e-remixed. But I certainly don't have any desire to see yet another completely different game get the "D&D" brand slapped on it.
I think that to some degree 5e itself created this elastic snapping reaction by maintaining a frozen core that focused so exclusively on anything but GMs when it added visceral additions to the rules. To a degree wotc faced some of the same impossible hurdles GMs ran into when trying to quickly & easily adjust the 5e ruleset as 5e+slight tweak without creating a whole new ruleset. There was little in the way of slight shifts & component adjustments over the last several years so the rough edges gms kept crashing into wound up getting refined into bloody knives that sour the good too much.

Last edited:

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I'm good with current 5E, and will be good with any fixes and updates that come with 2024 5E.

If/when they decide to do a major change into a 6E I'd be fine with that too... but don't see a need for it right now. I have no want to return to any former edition, because I played all of them enough to be good with them being put to bed. All of them are fine games just like 5E is a fine game, but I don't really care about game mechanics. All the editions have completely adequate mechanics... so unless a friend of mine steps up to say they want to run a game using an older edition (rather unlikely), there's nothing better about an older edition over 5E. So why go backwards? And most likely a 6E would also have completely adequate mechanics too, so there's nothing for me to gain by a big edition change. One version of D&D is just as good as another. So let's just stay with the one that has product being produced for it.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I don't really buy into what looks like the premise of the question.

I am not a one-game kind of gamer. I haven't generally run the same game system two campaigns in a row in decades. I am not sitting around waiting for D&D to give me experiences that match my desires. When I want 5e, I play 5e. When I want something else, I already play something else.

So, D&D can just go ahead and be whatever they want it to be. I'm happy if they keep it the same, or change it drastically. They can even make it into a game I don't like. I'd be cool with that too - I just wouldn't play it.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Before last month, I'd say 'god yes, let's try again maybe with a better core philosophy'. But now, I don't really care if they keep up the same old sadness.

Remove ads