• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blank Slate (Everyone Welcome)

Darimaus

First Post
Ambrus said:
Darimaus, I'm wondering whether you intend to make any in-game posts yourself. Are we supposed to role-play the actions of those creatures we create? Will anything ever occur or develop which the PC gods do not themselves initiate? Is there a limit to the number of gods you intend to allow? Do you intend to ever limit what various gods can accomplish? How are conflicting claims over portfolios to be resolved? It seems to me that this could all quickly devolve into a free-for-all. :\

And just so I'm clear, which PCs claim a kinship with the Empyrean and what does that mean to you?

My place in this game is simple. I'm here to make sure that the game goes smoothly, including dictating the result of conflicts that get out of hand. You will be roleplaying the creatures you create. The game is labeled everyone welcome, so I don't really intend to limit the pantheon. Gods can share portfolios, that doesn't really matter to me as long as a Gods primary purpose does not overlap woth anothers. That allows for some fun competition without having duplicate Gods. As for my posting in game, I am willing to stir the pot if the game stalls out, but I am more interested in seeing where the PCs take the game first.

As for PCs claiming a kinship, I don't really know what it means. I'd say the decision for that is really up to you, since they are basing it off of your god.

Jemal

Adventurer
Darimaus said:
My place in this game is simple. I'm here to make sure that the game goes smoothly, including dictating the result of conflicts that get out of hand. You will be roleplaying the creatures you create. The game is labeled everyone welcome, so I don't really intend to limit the pantheon. Gods can share portfolios, that doesn't really matter to me as long as a Gods primary purpose does not overlap woth anothers. That allows for some fun competition without having duplicate Gods. As for my posting in game, I am willing to stir the pot if the game stalls out, but I am more interested in seeing where the PCs take the game first.

As for PCs claiming a kinship, I don't really know what it means. I'd say the decision for that is really up to you, since they are basing it off of your god.

If any stirring needs to be done, The god of change's symbol is a large wooden spoon. ;)

Ambrus

Explorer
Darimaus said:
You will be roleplaying the creatures you create. The game is labeled everyone welcome, so:):)I don't really intend to limit the pantheon.
I find that rather less appealing. I was waiting to see what would become of the race of dragons I'd created; whether they'd remain united, whether they'd faithfully worship my character, whether they'd evolve into different sub-species, spread over the world or be killed off somehow.

Since its been shown that any god can take the creatures of other gods and transform them to suit their whims as well as dabble in others' spheres of influence, it appears that there are no limits involved in the campaign. Already some gods have threatened each other with violence, but since there's no way to measure relative power and control over various spheres of influence, it only amounts to meaningless posturing.

Frankly, I'm not really seeing the point of abstractedly creating and role-playing both gods and entire races. With no outside progression of the campaign setting, there being no limits involved and the concept of risk being largely meaningless, the players are all left to either role-play getting along or pointlessly entering into conflict with one another. I fear it'll eventually devolve into a battle of egos; something in which I'm afraid I have no interest.

As to the matter of divine kinship, I meant to direct the question at the other players since it's their expectations that matter most.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Byrrl recognizes that his creation was sparked (intentionally or not) by Empyrean and Pluvos -- fathers?
He sees in Ilem a similar nature to his own (though not before Ilem revealed his power) -- brother?
Originally he saw Hash'Mileak as alien and unrelated but that was before this truly alien thing appeared in the sky. He'll need to realign his thinking but that happened yet and I really don't know how that'll turn out anyway. -- really distant cousin?
This madness thing is just wrong in Byrrl's eyes and not related at all. -- ???
He hasn't noticed Jemal, or become aware of several of the other deities, yet.

And on another note, I think a timeline would be useful in keeping things straight...

Gli'jar

First Post
Ambrus said:
Are you content with time in general for the Empyrean and the future for yourself?

Avalon® said:
Part of the future is mine you know....
But mostly it concerns innovations and war.

I am thinking destiny and dream as it relates to the future and the potential possibilities thereof. It may be better to to call it 'infinity' to avoid the confusion. That can serve as a rough dividing line between our portfolios.

Change for the portfolio includes dropping darkness, and time and adding infinity and astronomy

Darimaus

First Post
Ambrus said:
I find that rather less appealing. I was waiting to see what would become of the race of dragons I'd created; whether they'd remain united, whether they'd faithfully worship my character, whether they'd evolve into different sub-species, spread over the world or be killed off somehow.

Since its been shown that any god can take the creatures of other gods and transform them to suit their whims as well as dabble in others' spheres of influence, it appears that there are no limits involved in the campaign. Already some gods have threatened each other with violence, but since there's no way to measure relative power and control over various spheres of influence, it only amounts to meaningless posturing.

Frankly, I'm not really seeing the point of abstractedly creating and role-playing both gods and entire races. With no outside progression of the campaign setting, there being no limits involved and the concept of risk being largely meaningless, the players are all left to either role-play getting along or pointlessly entering into conflict with one another. I fear it'll eventually devolve into a battle of egos; something in which I'm afraid I have no interest.

As to the matter of divine kinship, I meant to direct the question at the other players since it's their expectations that matter most.

I can understand where you are going with this, however, the way you want it is far too difficult a thing to run. When this gets underway, every god will have followers, created races, underlings and the like. This means for every player, I will have to do a detailed post of everything they do and how it affects their followers. Instead, I'm letting people control their own creations... for now. What you seem to have misunderstood is I reserve the right to intervene and insert story. I can have followers break off from their gods. I can decide when a God's plans fail. This is why I am here. To keep things in check. However, right now we are in the creation aspect. Which means I am far more leanient in letting PCs establish what they want in the world rather than starting everyone off in conflict and limitations. If someone makes a race of dragons, I'm interested in seeing where they are going with it. I'm less interested in people who make dragons for the sake of making dragons. I hope this makes things clearer. If not, all we can do is wait for a situation you and I are thinking of to come up, and then see what happens.

Gli'jar

First Post
Well I am giving it a go as to try to temper the damage the watcher has wrought upon the races of the world. I hope it works for an introduction.

Ambrus

Explorer
Darimaus said:
When this gets underway, every god will have followers, created races, underlings and the like. This means for every player, I will have to do a detailed post of everything they do and how it affects their followers.
That's not exactly what I was suggesting; perhaps simply a periodic update of how things are developing in the mortal world; which races are prospering, who's receiving worship and what mortals are praying to receive in general, what kinds of societies they're developing... that kind of thing.
Darimaus said:
If someone makes a race of dragons, I'm interested in seeing where they are going with it. I'm less interested in people who make dragons for the sake of making dragons.
I originally created dragons, along with all life, simply because everyone seemed anxious for life to arrive but weren't in any hurry to create it. The Empyrean's reason for creating dragons was because he was incapable of journeying to the earth himself; he wanted avatars that would explore the world and then let him know what they'd discovered through prayer.
Gli'jar said:
Change for the portfolio includes dropping darkness, and time and adding infinity and astronomy
With what you're describing, I think the word "destiny" or "fate" might be more appropriate than infinity. Likewise, if your interest in stellar phenomena stems from an interest in prognostication, I believe "astrology" is more appropriate than astronomy.
Gli'jar said:
Well I am giving it a go as to try to temper the damage the watcher has wrought upon the races of the world. I hope it works for an introduction.
I have to admit, after reading your in-game post, I'm uncertain what it is you're trying to accomplish exactly. Sorry, maybe I'm just dense.

Nazhkandrias

First Post
OK, I think that we need to clean this game up a bit. As Ambrus said, it's starting on the long road downhill to being a free-for-all, and I really don't want that. It doesn't need to be clockwork, but I don't think that The Ever-Changing Chaos of Limbo is where we want this game to go.

First off, we need to clean up portfolios a bit. Avalon® and WarlockLord, I think you two need to discuss portfolios a bit and set up a few boundaries, since this is looking like its going towards open war between gods, on an in-game and metagame level. This is NOT good. I think a little domain-overlapping is unavoidable, but clearer definitions would help. There is a difference between physical domains (what you are actually IN CONTROL of, such as Pluvos with Water, Rain, and Sea) and reflective domains (what your god supports or embodies, such as Pluvos with Change and Respect). After such definitions are set, I believe that all PHYSICAL domains should be kept mostly separate, but reflective domains can overlap pretty freely. Above all else, I don't think anybody, not even the original gods, should try to influence EVERYTHING that comes their way. Even the Empyrean and Noctuvos have their "limits" - Noctuvos ain't gonna make stars, and the Empyrean ain't gonna break stars.

Ambrus said:
That's not exactly what I was suggesting; perhaps simply a periodic update of how things are developing in the mortal world; which races are prospering, who's receiving worship and what mortals are praying to receive in general, what kinds of societies they're developing... that kind of thing.
I am inclined to agree with Ambrus here - yes, it is difficult for a DM to keep up with that sort of thing, but now, it has just been thrust upon the players. We can control our portfolios fairly well, but the people and creatures of the world reflect such an immense intermeshing of traits, it falls under the complete domain of NO god, and as such, I think that the DM needs to resolve it, to avoid further conflict. If I say that everybody suddenly grows gills and live in my sea, what's another player supposed to say? "No, they don't?" I think that I would like to know when people stop praying to and revering me - as you can see, that gets a pretty big and important reaction from me, and I need to know when to sick Leviathan or throw a drought onto the infidels.

As for this being the "creation" phase, perhaps we should put a slow to all of this spontaneous creating. We have the basic elements and the basic races, and more can emerge as we go along, but perhaps we should put a focus on character personas and maintaining the world rather than creating it.

So, as a closing disclaimer, I would like to state that I am sorry if I stepped on anybody's toes, made anybody mad, or am currently on anyone's "kill list". I'm not trying to run the game, but I am trying to help it run more smoothly. This can be a great game, but currently, it's looking like it's crossing over to the anarchic side of the street.

Ambrus

Explorer
Nazhkandrias said:
So, as a closing disclaimer, I would like to state that I am sorry if I stepped on anybody's toes, made anybody mad, or am currently on anyone's "kill list". I'm not trying to run the game, but I am trying to help it run more smoothly. This can be a great game, but currently, it's looking like it's crossing over to the anarchic side of the street.
I largely agree with your assessment of the situation and certainly don't take offense myself. The road to anarchy is a slippery one to navigate without any kind of rules structure to fall back on and with the possibility of new players with different ideas and expectations for the campaign to jump in at any time and wreak havoc.

To wit, our latest divinity has spontaneously appeared, made itself "invisible unto god and mortal alike", "interposed Itself between the World and Empyrean" within a "great Adament Sphere, which no god could break"; effectively plunging the world into perpetual darkness and threatening the continued survival of every other god's chosen race; plants, humans, dragons, elves, dwarves and gnomes alike.

It's a bold first act, and certainly an attention grabber, but it does little besides force the other gods to react to put an end to the threat. It could be an interesting plot-device which causes the other gods to finally band together into a unified pantheon, but keep in mind that even if the threat was put to an end there'd be nothing to stop another player from showing up and similarly wreaking havoc in the campaign setting tomorrow. The prospect of having to react to an endless series of ûber-threats created by emerging deities doesn't enthrall me.

I'm likewise sorry if I've offended anyone; like Nazhkandrias I'm trying to help make the campaign a sustainable game rather than a brief flash in the pan. Anarchy isn't usually sustainable in my experience.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads