Candlekeep Mysteries (OOC Chat)

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
All right - let's get everyone else introduced.

@VLAD the Destroyer & @Steve Gorak

I'd like you to pick where you are at the moment: The Hearth (the tavern); the Bathhouse; the Clothiers (a shop); or the Pillars of Pedagogy (the towers I mentioned). I will introduce you to your NPCs (Avowed Adjutant Guides - each seeker has one) and we can do some quick RP regarding your own mission in Candlekeep. Keep in mind, that the eventual goal will be to have everyone volunteer to help Hawthorne on his mission - so we'll need to work together a bit to figure out how that happens.

@KahlessNestor

In your case, we can make you one of the guides, if you like. Feel free to choose any of the other PCs to be assigned to. Or if you prefer (and this may work better), you can be slightly higher-up in the Avowed hierarchy, (what would be called a "Master Reader" and be doing your own thing. There's a lifetime of reading here, after all. In which case, it's probably best if your character enjoys coming down to the Court of Air (choose a location from the list above) to engage in debates with junior Avowed and interesting Seekers.
Sure, we can make Ruz a Master Reader.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
So, I'd like a little discussion: We can continue in this vein for quite some time (I play PBP to flex my writing muscles, so I'm happy to do it) but I'd also like to push ahead and get moving on the actual adventure (I picked a Candlekeep Mystery for it being a short adventure, after all). This has been some great, fun RP so far, so I don't want to derail it, but we've got a few goals we need to reach, and I'm gonna need your help.

1) We need to get Hawthorne the correct book, which is the adventure hook. (I'll have Irony bring a good size stack of books soon. Maybe Hawthorne should roll Investigation to see how quickly he can find the correct book. I imagine that it could take days, what with all the books here.
2) We need to get the others to choose to join him on his expedition to the place. We've managed to establish (at least internally for each of the characters) that most of the characters are free to volunteer to do it, but we are going to have to come up with a reason why. I like to collaborate on these things with the players - after all, I can't tell you what to do!

I'd like a quick show of hands too: Who hopes that we move it along soon, and who is happy to keep RPing in Candlekeep for a bit? (Keep in mind that there HAS to be a bit more, of course, but I'm trying to figure out just how fast I need to push us forward)

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I asked for the mining book specifically so we could find it and get the adventure going. I love inter-personal roleplay, but can do that in and around playing the adventure plot at the same time. So my vote is to just jump right in feet first and get the momentum of the story moving as soon as possible. Otherwise we run the risk of the RP petering out because nothing is "happening" plot-wise.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I asked for the mining book specifically so we could find it and get the adventure going. I love inter-personal roleplay, but can do that in and around playing the adventure plot at the same time. So my vote is to just jump right in feet first and get the momentum of the story moving as soon as possible. Otherwise we run the risk of the RP petering out because nothing is "happening" plot-wise.
I figured as much. Feel free to give me an Investigation roll and I'll just use it to narrate the finding (I won't make it take long either way, but there might be some comedy to a low roll or extra benefit from a high one.)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I'm also enjoying this RP, but agree that we can RP as the adventure moves forward, so I vote to get things going.

As for a reason to join, my character is in no hurry to get back to the idyllic yet predictable life of an high elven noble. So, if there's adventure, and it serves the greater good, he's in.
Cheers,

SG

I also agree, RP is great but can be done as we move forward with the adventure. As for why I'd join the expedition, my character just wants adventure. He has been isolated for decades and now that he is out he wants to see the world and will jump at a chance to go exploring.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Raz is coming out way more introverted than originally imagined LOL So casual RP with him is hard.

To get him on the adventure, well, he does kind of have a hobbit-longing to see the outside world (never been out of Candlekeep), especially any actual dwarven sites that he's read and written about. Or he could just be assigned by the Keep to help. (He's a dwarf. He's gotta know mines, right?)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Okay, let's get a party together, get that book, and start the adventure for real before we wind up with any attrition. Thanks for playing with my NPCs. I'm not into over-the-top farce in my games, but I don't mind some natural humour here and there. I find Irony and Shedrick (and the halfling guide) to be pretty amusing. I hope you do too.

Remove ads