Counter to Spike Growth?

sim-h

Explorer
There's a few imaginative options to counter it. Throwing down a shield or other object to step on (topple the gong, in the example above) and taking a standing jump to clear 5ft+ of the growth without the damage, are options I would try to use. And since you're the DM you can give them whatever thrown weapon you like (or improvised projectiles) although I understand not wanting to diverge from the text of the published adventure.

But at the end of the day the equation is just "level 2 spell slot > mooks". [spoiler alert]Did they trigger the Glyph of Warding yet, muahahaha?

Nailen

Explorer
And on that note - Dragon Turtle... Looks pretty tough. The steam breath attack looks like it will really put the sh*t up the party!!! :)

sim-h

Explorer
And on that note - Dragon Turtle... Looks pretty tough. The steam breath attack looks like it will really put the sh*t up the party!!! :)

My group had two goes, running off to hide in a room and heal up with spells (no rest, so it didn't recover HPs either) before ambushing it again from the back and sides down the right hand canal by the bridge, spread out. It downed one guy with steam breath but they had moved into different positions straddling the canal so it couldn't hit more than one or two of them with that. Plenty of scope for epic "I jump onto its back and hack at it!" moments.

Nailen

Explorer
They will sometimes spend aaaages plotting their strategy for combat.
I've started to give them three minutes to plan before stuff happens. (It's also a way to combat only getting through one encounter per session!)

I can see an encounter with a dragon turtle being one of those. And I can certainly see an "I jump on it's back" moment. :)

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Fireball the Spike Growth; minions are expendable … wait a minute, those are OUR minions in it …

Have a smart spellcasting foe bring along Dispel Magic or Counterspell to mess with the PC casters.

For fun, another druid could Summon Nature's Ally something that eats bushes for breakfast and clear a path through the Spike Growth. It will add some variety and make the encounter memorable.

How does the monk get Silence?

There is a fathomer
Eldritch Blast is ranged and shoots two blasts (5th level spellcaster). Range 120ft and forcing two Concentration saving throws. You can add Hex for extra ranged damage.

Also, which water cultists don't have a ranged weapon? (Can't check the module at the moment.) Reavers have javelins... priests have spells. Even the fathomer inside silence could still throw his daggers in hope to break concentration.

(Note: I usually assume that monsters usually have 2 or 3 pieces of thrown weapons on them, at least if they're on guard duty. Also, some enemies might just exchange their weapons. Recently, I had a spellcaster give his dagger to an ally that lost his weapon for example.)

To answer the question of why the spellcaster doesn't walk out of the area of silence - they often do, but the PCs have high DEX so often come in high on the initiative order and so the spellcaster can easily have taken multiple arrows/other damage before they even get a chance to move.
I honestly don't understand this issue. Even assuming all PCs roll above the enemies (very unlikely even if they have higher DEX), setting up Spike Growth and Silence already takes a turn, so at tops you have 3 PCs attacking before the enemy can start taking countermeasures. Also this has nothing to do with those two spells in the first place. If your PCs can already do such significant damage in a single round that the monsters don't stand a chance, the PCs might just be too high level for the encounter.

Of course if the encounter is written with reinforments in mind which don't come because the Gong is silenced, that one encounter might be easy. And I'd grant my players that for the clever idea to silence the Gong. But eventually the enemies will know they are under attack and start to gather before the PCs even arrive, forcing them into hard or deadly encounters.

Dausuul

Legend
The cultists, as described in MM, don't have a thrown weapon.
Is there a small hard heavy object within reach? Like a rock? Then they have a thrown weapon. It's at -2 to hit (improvised weapon, no proficiency) and deals 1d4 damage. It's crappy compared to their scimitars, but a large group of cultists can still pelt the druid and have a decent chance of disrupting concentration.

Remember, monsters and NPCs get to use the full range of the combat rules just like PCs do; they are not limited to what's in the statblock.

Last edited:

Nailen

Explorer
Fireball the Spike Growth; minions are expendable … wait a minute, those are OUR minions in it …

Have a smart spellcasting foe bring along Dispel Magic or Counterspell to mess with the PC casters.

For fun, another druid could Summon Nature's Ally something that eats bushes for breakfast and clear a path through the Spike Growth. It will add some variety and make the encounter memorable.

How does the monk get Silence?

Way of the Shadow - Shadow Arts. "You can spend 2 ki points to cast Darkness, Darkvision, Pass without trace or Silence"

Nailen

Explorer
Also, while we're on the subject of Spike Growth, do you consider the piercing damage that the spikes do to be magical damage? Such that resistance on non-magical piercing damage has no effect?
I'm guessing so, but there's a part of me thinking that as the spell description just says 'piercing damage' then it could be resisted..

Remove ads