D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Open Discussion [Full Spoilers]

Iosue

Legend
Re: Doric and Simon. I absolutely loved this dynamic, though it plays against the typical cinematic shorthand.

Simon likes Doric, but she’s not interested because his lack of confidence makes her sad. So he suggests recruiting her, but then he leaves her alone. He isn’t constantly trying to woo her, or making moony eyes at her. At most, he’s just a little self-conscious around her, which works. But the reason she’s not into Simon is that he needs to work on himself. There’s no moment where he does something to make her love him. Especially not some point where he saves her and suddenly she sees him in a new light. In fact, he does save her during the Themberchaud chase, but it’s not played any different from when, say, Doric saves Holga from the mimic.

Then, at the end, when Simon’s learned to have more confidence in himself, he asks her out again, and she tentatively says yes. Nothing more, and nothing less. That’s a relationship I can believe in. Frankly, much more than, say, Peter and Gamora in the GotG movies, who AFAICT fall in love simply because they are the male and female leads.

Hussar

Legend
One thing I like about the movie? It's bright. I mean, literally. The scenes are actually well lit. It's not a bunch of people in dark brown or black fighting in dimly lit rooms where it's one shadowy blob fighting another shadowy blob. The city, instead of being under a constant black cloud, is actually bright and sunny. Most of the scenes are in pretty nice weather for a change. Even the Underdark stuff was still really well lit.

It was a VERY refreshing change.

Oofta

Legend
One thing I like about the movie? It's bright. I mean, literally. The scenes are actually well lit. It's not a bunch of people in dark brown or black fighting in dimly lit rooms where it's one shadowy blob fighting another shadowy blob. The city, instead of being under a constant black cloud, is actually bright and sunny. Most of the scenes are in pretty nice weather for a change. Even the Underdark stuff was still really well lit.

Not to mention that ... gasp ... my wife never leaned over and asked "What did they just say?"

The NPCs were a bit hit-and-miss in the case of NPCs, but otherwise I thought the visuals of the movie were really well done. Perhaps part of it trying to literally convey that D&D is light and fun even if it can deal with serious topics?

Hi guys. Sorry if I'm writing off topic, but have any of you seen the new Guardians of the Galaxy 3 trailer before the movie? If you have seen it, please describe it, because my cinema decided to skip all the trailers.
I saw it, but I think it's the same as the online one. If featured Guardians doing Guardian-ish stuff. If anything, I thought it seemed a bit frantic, all fighting and no memorable lines. Made me less keen to see the film.

Last edited:

I saw it, but I think it's the same as the online one. If featured Guardians doing Guardian-ish stuff. If anything, I thought it seemed a bit frantic, all fighting and no memorable lines.
Huh.

I must have seen a different one because it was busy but featured a very memorable (and funny) exchange between Starlord and Nebula at the end. I think it was the same as online though.

Yes I was rather shocked to see the Forgotten Realms kind of looking like the Forgotten Realms, rather than some dark, LotR-esque fantasy land. I think it was a little more generic than I'd like and a little less ornate than the FR is typically portrayed, but definitely worked.
Re: Doric and Simon. I absolutely loved this dynamic, though it plays against the typical cinematic shorthand.

Simon likes Doric, but she’s not interested because his lack of confidence makes her sad. So he suggests recruiting her, but then he leaves her alone. He isn’t constantly trying to woo her, or making moony eyes at her. At most, he’s just a little self-conscious around her, which works. But the reason she’s not into Simon is that he needs to work on himself. There’s no moment where he does something to make her love him. Especially not some point where he saves her and suddenly she sees him in a new light. In fact, he does save her during the Themberchaud chase, but it’s not played any different from when, say, Doric saves Holga from the mimic.

Then, at the end, when Simon’s learned to have more confidence in himself, he asks her out again, and she tentatively says yes. Nothing more, and nothing less. That’s a relationship I can believe in. Frankly, much more than, say, Peter and Gamora in the GotG movies, who AFAICT fall in love simply because they are the male and female leads.
Yes this was very well done. Simon in general was a lot better than I anticipated.

Re: Peter/Gamora - the latest trailer for GotG3 does seem to mock this a bit, and whilst it was clumsy in GotG1 (unusually for Gunn), their relationship worked well in GotG2.

OB1

Jedi Master
Speaking of cameos I heard some of the Critical Role cast were supposed to cameo but I didn't see them. Did anyone spot them?
CR actually confirmed last week that they didn't have cameos (though they did go to the premier last week). That said, Simon's 'Fresh Cut Grass' cantrip was almost certainly a nod to CR. Also found it interesting that the non-ressurection dagger in the film mirrors the same ones used by the bad guys in CR C3. Probably a coincidence (as it's a pretty good plot device) but maybe Mercer got to read the script a few years ago when he was planning the new campaign and borrowed it?

JohnSnow

Hero
Plot-adjacent question:

Is anyone else wondering if Simon’s “token-based casting” might be something they’re planning to playtest as a way of making sorcerers more distinct from wizards in the next PHB?

I ask because, with the changes to magic in 5e, the two classes just aren’t as distinct as they were back when the Sorcerer was introduced. And it would fit with some of the modifications we’ve seen to the Bard and other classes.

Remove ads