D&D Movie/TV Free 'Honor Among Thieves' Bundle Includes Characters & Magic Items From The Movie

Over at D&D Beyond you can check out the game details of the protagonists (plus major NPCs) of the D&D movie, along with the statistics of a number of magical items from the film. Thieves Gallery -- this contains stats for Doric, Edgin, Forge, Holga, Simon, Sofina, and Xenk. These are NPC-style stat blocks, not full character sheets. Legendary Magic Items -- stats for the helm of disjunction...

00-002.magic-item-combo.png

Over at D&D Beyond you can check out the game details of the protagonists (plus major NPCs) of the D&D movie, along with the statistics of a number of magical items from the film.
  • Thieves Gallery -- this contains stats for Doric, Edgin, Forge, Holga, Simon, Sofina, and Xenk. These are NPC-style stat blocks, not full character sheets.
  • Legendary Magic Items -- stats for the helm of disjunction, hither-thither staff, helm of beckoning death, red wizard blade, and the tablet of reawakening.

In addition, WotC's Chris Perkins talks about the magic items in the video below.

Have any of you considered the items for your campaigns?

NM Read it wrong

Edit instead:

Red Wizard Blade

Weapon (Dagger), Legendary

Forged by Red Wizards using a secret process known only to them, this grim steel dagger draws its power from the Negative Plane. When you hit a creature with a melee attack using this magic dagger, the target takes an extra 3d12 necrotic damage.

A creature reduced to 0 hit points by this weapon dies and can’t be raised from the dead except by a deity or by a creature using a tablet of reawakening to cast the true resurrection spell.

Aren't all Raise Dead/Resses basically you invoking a deity to bring your pal back to life? And are you telling me this Dagger is more powerful than a 9th level spell? True Ress. The end all be all of rasing the dead. You dont even need a body. The Dagger is so GREAT that you need a specific artifact to cast the SAME spell to work? Yeaaahh no.
It's basically just a Keeper's Fang weapon from Eberron. Soul binding/trapping weapons/spells/creatures have been a thing before - I don't see why this is that big of an issue.

It's obviously going to be used to slay one of the mains but luckily they will have/find the Resurrection Tablet to fix it.

Does the film even mention that Clerics exist? This just seems another way to use divine magic without having to mention those gods that might offend some real world zealots.

Yes clerics are mentioned a few times,including Clerics of Talos.

Stormonu

Legend
While it works for the movie, for a game the blade should probably should be toned down - at worst death only being countered by true resurrection working (which should be what the tablet does), and using an action/charge to deal the 3d12 necrotic - good for the wizard who'd only get 1 melee attack anyways (or good for a rogue/assassin sneak attack) and not amazingly broken in the fighter's hand.

While it works for the movie, for a game the blade should probably should be toned down - at worst death only being countered by true resurrection working (which should be what the tablet does), and using an action/charge to deal the 3d12 necrotic - good for the wizard who'd only get 1 melee attack anyways (or good for a rogue/assassin sneak attack) and not amazingly broken in the fighter's hand.
Yes this is exactly right.

If it just did +3d12 damage per hit it would be insanely, hilariously OP. That's an average of +19.5 per attack! If it does it once per round and has limited charges/day or something it's pretty high-end up not insane.

And yeah True Resurrection should work because an item that matched the description of True Resurrection worked.

Yes clerics are mentioned a few times,including Clerics of Talos.
Yeah they specifically mention even a Cleric being unable to heal/raise someone, and the "Speak with Dead" token the Sorcerer uses (it seems like he has a token for each of his spells, that's just how this Wild Sorcerer works, I guess - it's kind of an interesting approach), he specifically describes as a "Cleric token" (Bard erasure!).

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
Yeah they specifically mention even a Cleric being unable to heal/raise someone, and the "Speak with Dead" token the Sorcerer uses (it seems like he has a token for each of his spells, that's just how this Wild Sorcerer works, I guess - it's kind of an interesting approach), he specifically describes as a "Cleric token" (Bard erasure!).
Speaking of Simon the Sorcerer (that will never not be funny and I will always believe is a reference to the old game series), he's related to Elminster.

I never thought about the long lived Elminster having spawned a lot of kids over his hundreds of years, and those kids having kids etc etc. And I guess since he's got all kind of magic juice running through him (despite being a Wizard) some of his spawns become natural Sorcerers.

As with all powerful magic items, it depends how the DM sees it being used, and shouldn't be in the game unless it serves the plot in some way. The resurrection-inhibition effect is pretty much worthless to players - how often does the stuff they kill get resurrected? It's only really significant if used against the PCs, or if the PCs need it to assassinate a particular NPC who is likely to be resurrected if killed with conventional weapons.

There is a sword version of this weapon in the movie too - I would make that +1d12 necrotic (in line with a Frost Brand sword).

You might also consider making is a sentient weapon (DMG) with an evil alignment.

Remove ads

Remove ads