• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Hewligan's Rise of the Runelords: The Skinsaw Murders

frostrune

First Post
Jokad follows boldly, head high, eyes sweeping the crowd. He is covered in gore and blood. His armor is battered and his exposed limbs and clothing are cut to shreds. He looks like he fought through some foul pit of hell and came out the other side.

Kael is bundled in his arms and Mal follows closely at his side. The storm brewing behind his sea gray eyes dares anyone to stop them or question their doings.

hewligan

First Post
OOC: I will post a large end-post tonight to tie things up, assuming you want to do the following: alert the mayor, get Kael raised if you can, perhaps search Ironbriar's house if it is appropriate, and then get some rest.

frostrune

First Post
OOC: I will post a large end-post tonight to tie things up, assuming you want to do the following: alert the mayor, get Kael raised if you can, perhaps search Ironbriar's house if it is appropriate, and then get some rest.

OOC: Heh. I think we want to rifle Ironbriar's House even if it isn't appropriate. We are damn poor ;)

I also want to make a copy of that list before we turn it over to the mayor. Maybe if we learn who these people are we can start to understand why they were picked.

Also need to get the items we recovered from Xanesha identified. Assuming Kael gets raised, can he do this?

Possible order of events: Kael to Danth's church, inquire about raising; get cleaned up; make a visit to the mayor, show him our writs from sandpoint, show him ritual list, explain the clock tower and sawmill incidents, reward?; REST; check on Kael; loot Ironbriar's; get stuff identified (very interested to see what this spear is about, is it a reach weapon by the way?)

Fenris

Adventurer
Jovik follows Danth and Jokad outside. He looks less challenging than Jokad, though his eyes are no less restless as he scans the crowd. He too is cover in blood and gore, his own and that of the tower denizens. But Jovik is always wary and no less so here, though he knows none here would challenge them. They merely wanted to see if the tower was finally going to fall.

OOC: I agree with the plan as well

hewligan

First Post
The gathered group parts to make way for the heroes and their dead. Mal walks slowly behind Jokad, his head hung low.

Nobody stops them. Nobody asks them questions. But you can hear the shocked whispers and the muttering as people turn to their neighbours. Something big went down in the Shadow tonight, and they know it.

When you finally arrive at Danth's small church and orphanage, an acolyte comes to greet you and is quickly sent on his way to prepare a resting place, hopefully temporary, for Kael.

Danth is, of course, the leader of this small church, and the leader of the entire church of Sarenrae in Magnimar. It is not a core religion here, although the faith is strong among the people. If Kael is to be raised, then there is only one man who can do it, and that is Father Roledyne of Abadar.

Danth knows of him, and has, one one occassion, met the old leader of the main church in Magnimar, but there is was no love lost between Danth's old (now murdered) master, and Roledyne, and thus coin and persuasion may be required.

OOC: Resurrection is going to cost you 11,000gp!!!! If you do want to go ahead and have the funds, just let me know and I will hand-wave the roleplay to get it done and bring Kael back into the game (and Friadoc).

After some time to clean up, and drink some water to dislodge the dust that seems to have dried all of your mouths, it is time to head off to request an audience with the Lord-Mayor Haldmeer Grobaras.

hewligan

First Post
Haldmeer Grobaras, lord-mayor

Obtaining a meeting with the Lord-Mayor, Haldmeer Grobaras, was not as difficult as you had expected. Two guards had taken you to a small room where a clerk has filled out your request with a raised eyebrow, before disappearing into an antechamber. He had been quickly joined by an older man who had asked, quite bluntly, if you were serious about your claim to have brought an end to the murders, and YES, he had heard about the ruckus in the Shadow earlier in the day.

You were stripped of all weapons, even the hidden ones, even the really hidden ones that Jovik likes to secrete around his body. Everything (well, they did miss the small blade he carried in his boot, but that was more for cutting himself out of ropes if, say, he ever got taken prisoner - heaven forbid!), and taken along winding corridors in the great, monumental offices of the mayor.

Jokad held the list of names, a fresh copy lay back at Danth's orphanage, quickly scribed by an acolyte as the group had scraped the grime from their bodies and armour.

Haldmeer Grobaras was a plump man, with small eyes that darted intelligently, but also with an edge of nervousness to them. He was dressed in finery, and sat behind a large dark-wood desk. His hands were ever active, moving papers about, signing things, his eyes flicking over pages as he did so. Even when he wasn't moving, he somehow seemed to be moving.

He worked for a few moments, several scribes moving around him, carrying this or that for him to review. He rarely spoke to them, unless to clarify a point, and then once again his thin-tipped pen would scratch down on the page.

When he finished he looked up and smiled. His large face and jowls made the smile look small, but warm.

"Gentlemen! Please, be seated. I apologise for my business. It is always like this before trade day, but then things calm down again and we get into the politics. I prefer the trade work, to be honest. Anyway, you care little of that. You look like people of the road, happier in a tavern perhaps, than sitting listening to a fat man discuss treaties.

I have heard a little of your exploits. The old clocktower in the shadow lies in ruins. Well, it was already in ruins, of course, but now it is properly in ruins, with holes in the walls and corpses within. My men have been there already to take a look. Some strange sort of monster was within, a mishapen thing, an unnatural thing that has no place in this city. I have no report of upstairs, for the stairs are part destroyed, and my guards appeared a little reticent to make the leap. You, no doubt, have made that very leap several times today, for I understand you are the ones that rooted out whatever evil it was that dwelt within that building, and in the process believe you may have ended the murders in this fine city?
"

When you tell your story, from the murders in Sandpoint, to the ghouls, the dead farmers, the ghast and the haunted house, the trail to Sandpoint, the sawmill, Justice Ironbriar, the cultists, some of whom you let go, and so on ... all the way to Xanesha, the snake demon thing. His face turns pale when you tell him of the list, and he seems keen to inspect it.

His face turns pallid, and his hands move to loosen the tie at his neck, as if he is finding it hard to breathe.

"Gentlemen, this is shocking. The names on the list are known to me - the victims. Some of these we kept quiet about, so as not to reveal all our clues to the murderer, and thus I know you are being honest. But I cannot imagine what ties these names and why I am on it. There, that name is a very high standing merchant lord in this city, a good friend of mine. That one there is a judge, a fellow of Ironbriars, and there a well regarded treasurer of the church of Pharasma, and that one is a senior tax collector, and that one a successful landlord.

I am shocked and disgusted, but also relieved. Clearly I owe you, and this city owes you, and some of the people on this list will want to repay you. First I need to speak with some people, track down Ironbriar and have him questioned and killed. Perhaps find these other cultists that escaped. There is much to be done, but please be certain that you will be very well rewarded for the bravery and commitment you have shown. I haev already heard of your exploits in Sandpoint, and now you are welcome heroes here too. Go out tonight, relax, enjoy yourselves, and trust that my morning I will have something for you.
"

OOC: Do you want to do the Ironbriar house raid today, or tomorrow, and do you want to notify the Mayor that you would like to do this to see if perhaps he will give permission. Let me know. His reward will be in the morning once he has organised it.

Friadoc

Explorer
OOC

Kael would all be for coming back, if his companions were able to bring him back, as the only thing that would have kept him from wanting this would have been had Mal died during the events that occurred, before and after his death.

So, there is not reason ICly that Kael wouldn't want to come back.

Nor are there any reason that I wouldn't OOCly want to return as Kael, as I enjoy the character and keeping him would fit within the story quite well and it'd be fun keeping the companions together. Sure, losing a level has it's drawbacks, but such is the nature of the game and I'm all good with those risks, as risks are why these games are fun. :)

However, if things ICly lead to the group not being able to raise Kael, I totally understand that, too. It is an expensive thing and might be stretching our means too much, or else the person who would do it would be a jerk and keep it from happening, et ceteras.

I guess what I'm saying is that I'm good with the course of play, either way. If I need to make a new character, then so be it. However, if I can keep playing Kael, even with losing a level, I'm okay with that, too. :)

hewligan

First Post
Technically the way I would play it is that Kael would stay where he is, but the other 3 will gain a level for completing this adventure, so Kael will be half a step behind. By 1/3rd of the way through the next adventure he should be caught up, assuming we are all comfortable with my normal relaxed attitude to the rules ;)

Fenris

Adventurer
OOC: Friadoc, if Jovik has to sneak into the Lord Mayor's personal bedchamber to steal the money to bring Kael back he will (he'e enjoy it too but that is besides the point). But so long as you want Kael back we will find a way, including selling off my magical items if need be. but I hope we have enough political capital at this point to finegal a freebie or a discount.

I say we hit Ironbriar's place NOW before the guard can do it, and I say we don;t aks permission. But Danth may object and if he can talk the Mayor into it we can ask first, say that there are lots more of those nasty things in ther we need to clear out, i am sure he woudl rather not lose a half dozen guards.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads