• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

IC - Mad King's Monkey

doghead

thotd
In the Forest, at Gnoll Camp, Afternoon on Day Three.

The rider listens and watches in silence as Bayar responds.

"Go," the wolf rider says eventually in heavily accented common. "Go away here. Down water. Don't stop. Go past ... water down rocks. There more safe. No fire."

[sblock=OOC]The rider is across the water and up stream somewhat in the same direction that the gnoll fled. All the PC's are on the ledge at the gnoll camp, or close by to it. The terrain between the rider and characters is largely open, but the rider remains close to cover.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"He wants us to leave to where the waterfall is. The Gnolls were allowed to be here, but we are not. Oh, and no camp fires. If we do not leave, our lives will be in danger." Jan translates in a smooth calm voice, as he does not want to cause any alarm.

Electric Wizard

First Post
Sukri's fatigue, and the soreness of last night's wounds caught up with him as he picked through the campsite. But at the sight of the strange rider, he instinctively touches his dagger.

"We should leave," he whispers. "But this could be a trap."

Fangor the Fierce

First Post
Eban is oblivious as to what transpired, as Jan's back was turned. It seemed though that they had taken notice of something across the water and were ready to leave. He gathers his board and makes sure that the picture is as he drew and stores it in his bag. He follows the others, taking the rear guard.

doghead

thotd
In the Forest, at Gnoll Camp, Late Afternoon on Day Three.

The wolf and rider moves up slowly behind the party as they move out, watching them intently. They close the gap slightly, but remain at least 40 to 50 yards away.

<<Walk in stream. Hide your tracks and smell>>, the rider says as the characters step down from the rocks that lead up to the ledge.

The wolf and rider pull up once they reach the rocks that lead up to the ledge.

<<Keep going until past the waterfall. Do not camp near stream. Camp downwind. And no fire.>> the rider reminds the characters.

<<And tell the Greenman servant that Nerrek the Speenbiter grows stronger. Dogmen have found something. Trouble is coming. He will know my meaning>>

OOC: <<Spoken in Goblin>>.

Axel

First Post
Bayar, having no understanding of what the goblin rider is saying, waits until the others are safely down from the Gnoll camp. "I be taking the rear, in case he be trying tricks," he tells the others as they prepare to move out.

*assuming Jaan translates*
The big human, already sweating from the cross-country hike and chase in full armour, has no interest in filling his boots with water and persists/insists on walking on the river bank. "No bloody goblin be telling me where I be walking..." he grumbles.

doghead

thotd

Bayar's refusal to walk in the stream results in series of rebukes from the wolf rider accompanied by emphatic gestures with the spear. Bayar doesn't need a translation to understand the meaning*. As he ignores them**, the gestures become more emphatic and the words more rapidfire.

Eventually the pulls up the wolf, still some 40 yards back. Driving the spear tip into the muddy bank, the rider swings down beside the wolf hanging on to its fur with one hand and grabbing something from the ground with the other. A stone. Which is hurled at the stubborn warrior. And sails well wide. The wolf rider glares at Bayer before breaking into another monolog, but this one delivered slowly and in the manner one uses when talking to foreigners, children and idiots.

[SBLOCK=OOC * Goblin Translation]The language gets more colourful the more the rider is ignored. But the underlying message is the same. If you leave an easy to follow track, then the hunters/warriors who come will quickly identify which way you go, giving them time to return, collect many more warriors and wolf riders and sharmen and find the characters before sun rise. If you leave no tracks, they will waste time searching. They will be uncertain, and the characters will be too far to find before daylight returns.[/SBLOCK]

OOC ** A safe assumption?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure

Bayar's refusal to walk in the stream results in series of rebukes from the wolf rider accompanied by emphatic gestures with the spear. Bayar doesn't need a translation to understand the meaning*. As he ignores them**, the gestures become more emphatic and the words more rapid fire.

Eventually the pulls up the wolf, still some 40 yards back. Driving the spear tip into the muddy bank, the rider swings down beside the wolf hanging on to its fur with one hand and grabbing something from the ground with the other. A stone. Which is hurled at the stubborn warrior. And sails well wide. The wolf rider glares at Bayer before breaking into another monolog, but this one delivered slowly and in the manner one uses when talking to foreigners, children and idiots.

OOC ** A safe assumption?

Jan does indeed translate for the party and makes sure that Eban is read in on the situation by letting him read his lips in an explanation of who the rider is. When the fighter starts to refuse to walk in the water, causing the goblin to become more and more irritated, Jan stops and tries to reason with Bayar.

"Please will you walk in the water. We need to leave no tracks behind us and when we get to the waterfall we need to be downwind. Besides, I am tired of learning new profanities in the goblin tongue. Their language is bad enough, but their profanities describe intimacy between things that I wish I could un-hear. I am begging you to make him stop."

Remove ads