• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Is Tasha's Broken?

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
If maneuvers were core to fighters, then it would have cool to have combat maneuvers that key or used tertiary scores.
Or have fighting styles that used them.

I wished some of these ieas made if into TCOE. However I feel a lot of obligations, patches, fixes, and requirements crowded out a lot of possible new material for the 2nd options book on the class and race side.

Maybe in the next major options book.

Yeah the trick is to have a number of maneuvers to choose from, some of which key off of other stats. And those maneuvers should be, in general, the “best” ones, so that if you choose to go MAD (pun intended) you are compensated.

So a Feint maneuver that keyed off Str should be better than Shove, which doesn’t require insanity. I mean, MADness.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
I mean...it is if your proficiency bonus is +2, your Strength modifier is +3, and your AC is 2.

Close. AC 6 would do it. But, even then, although the equation comes out to 5% it’s meaningless because you already have a 100% chance to hit, so you are not actually increasing hit rate by 5%.

Oofta

Legend
First of all, the 5% is wrong. I can't believe how many times that has to be repeated.

Second of all, your response has nothing to do with the thing you are responding to.
You are adding a +1 to a D20 roll. Obviously if you need a result of 20 to succeed and you were a +0, a +1 will double your chances of success. But you are also only increasing the result of the number you end up with after adding multipliers by 5%.

As far as what was responding to, that may well be part of the issue. You keep repeating things like "it's already been explained" or referencing a previous post without linking to anything or explaining "what has already been explained ". So if I'm confused, I apologize but perhaps something a little more enlightening than "has nothing to do with " might help. You may have a clear understanding, but obviously other people don't.

EDIT: in addition, what you originally responded to was this:
Honestly, it's totally irrelevant that I would be behind the other PCs. The issue is that I'm behind a better choice I could have made.
Now, that's a perfectly legitimate concern. One I don't happen to share but it is absolutely 100% about not being as effective as they could have been without that +1 to some rolls. I don't see how else it can be interpreted.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Alignment in D&D 5e has never had any actual mechanics attached to it, outside of a handful of magic items. Removing it and then adding it back into the game is waaaaay different from completely changing the current design approach to D&D 5e races, and racial ASIs are one of the main things that has changed with 5e since it first came out.
I don't know what has gone to print and what hasn't, but as of right now it would be simple to go back or to backpedal and have both included. Tasha's only has it as an option and I think there's one new book, which is mostly a reprint of old stuff. They could include changes in another book that add ASIs back in, even as an option and then go forward with both in future books. It wouldn't be as massive as you are saying.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Close. AC 6 would do it. But, even then, although the equation comes out to 5% it’s meaningless because you already have a 100% chance to hit, so you are not actually increasing hit rate by 5%.
AC 7 works too, if your proficiency bonus is +6 and you don't have a Strength modifier. But I was being facetious.

You and @Vaalingrade are both correct; you're just solving different equations.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Yeah the trick is to have a number of maneuvers to choose from, some of which key off of other stats. And those maneuvers should be, in general, the “best” ones, so that if you choose to go MAD (pun intended) you are compensated.

So a Feint maneuver that keyed off Str should be better than Shove, which doesn’t require insanity. I mean, MADness.
Or there could be a base Staggering Attack based on STR/DEX and Feinting Attack based on INT that both grant advantages Normal fighters have access to Staggering Attack. However fighters with positive INT can side-up-grade to Feinting Attack..

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You are adding a +1 to a D20 roll. Obviously if you need a result of 20 to succeed and you were a +0, a +1 will double your chances of success. But you are also only increasing the result of the number you end up with after adding multipliers by 5%.

As far as wh6i was responding to, that may well be part of the issue. You keep repeating things like "it's already been explained" or referencing a previous post without linking to anything or explaining "what has already been explained ". So if I'm confused, I apologize but perhaps something a little more enlightening than "has nothing to do with " might help. You may have a clear understanding, but obviously other people don't.
All that matters is that you hit one addition time per 20 swings, which for the vast majority of players is going to be 1 extra hit per 5 combats on average or 2.5 combats on average if you've reached an extra attack. If you are a fighter class in one of those uncommon groups that goes above level 7 or 8, then you will eventually get a bit better than that.

If you have proficiency +2 and a 14 strength, you are going to hit an AC of 14 on a 10 or higher. That means that over those 20 rounds you will miss 9 times and hit 11 times. Raise that strength to 16 and you miss 8 times and hit 12 times. Big woopty doo.

Total extra damage with a d8 weapon is going to be 7.5 for that extra hit + 11 more points of damage spread over 5 fights. Big ole yawn from me. The damage it adds is trivial and it won't be noticeable.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads