D&D 5E Is Tasha's Broken?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
And if had cast the Foresight spell or some other in-fiction way to predict the future, that could work. D&D doesn't allow that, though. There's no way to predict a round ahead of time what a spellcaster is casting just based on your stat.
I don't know though. I mean, you should be able to use Insight to guess as to what someone should do. I mean look at Chess. Grandmasters are calculating what moves are going to be made and what countermoves they will make well ahead of the actual actions.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
I don't think the damage goes up. Two hands for a d8 I think.
Well I know Heavy calls out disadvantage for small characters, but I didn't think Versatile says anything about it. I'll go check my PHB.

EDIT: Versatile says "this weapon can be used in one or two hands. A damage value in parentheses appears with the property. The damage when the weapon is used in two hands to make a melee attack.

And Heavy says "Small creatures have disadvantage on attack rolls with heavy weapons. A heavy weapon's size and bulk make it too large for a Small creature to use effectively."

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I don't know though. I mean, you should be able to use Insight to guess as to what someone should do. I mean look at Chess. Grandmasters are calculating what moves are going to be made and what countermoves they will make well ahead of the actual actions.
With a ton of experience in one game with a very limited number of likely moves, yes. You don't even know if the caster HAS fireball or is of a level to cast it, let alone if he's going to pick that one spell out of the multiple attack spells he has available to him.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
the 10' pole
Can't forget the 10' pole! How would you play D&D without one? (I keep one around at the table, useful for poking players who are spending time on their smartphone when it is there turn... ;) )

Of course, interesting sidebar, how long is 10' pole to a halfling or gnome? Does it seem like 20'? :D

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Well I know Heavy calls out disadvantage for small characters, but I didn't think Versatile says anything about it. I'll go check my PHB.
I don't know, either. I'd allow it for sure if it doesn't. No reason a halfling couldn't use a longsword like a greatsword. The damage wouldn't change, though.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
No, it doesn't, but it is another of our house-rules.

Small creatures can use versatile weapons, but they MUST use them two-handed or have disadvantage on their attack rolls:

1650665770692.png

Can't Halflings wield a longsword in two hands for d10 damage anyways?
But in our game they can't use a longsword with one hand for d8 damage.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
And if had cast the Foresight spell or some other in-fiction way to predict the future, that could work. D&D doesn't allow that, though. There's no way to predict a round ahead of time what a spellcaster is casting just based on your stat.

Hence my first point.

If the base game nor the DM doesn't allow you to use Int in meaningful ways in combat for every PC and combat is the most frequent and most impactful pillar of the game (unless the DM states otherwise), then their players will not see a strong use of a INT bonus for their PC if its the PC's class primary score (turning it into a combat stat).

The whole problem is players playing the game and seeing the majority of DMs creating campaigns where only the primary scores matter. Then the player's reacting to this experience in their 2nd or 3rd campaign.

ECMO3

Hero
I don't know, either. I'd allow it for sure if it doesn't. No reason a halfling couldn't use a longsword like a greatsword. The damage wouldn't change, though.
What exactly do you mean by wouldn't change?

Any longsword on any character does 1d10 instead of 1d8 when wielded with two hands. Halfling is no different here, the halfling does more damage if he wields a longsword in 2 hands, just like an Ogre does more damage if he wields a longsword in 2 hands. If they both have the same strength score they both do the same amount of damage.

The onyl time where there is a difference is when the weapon has the heavy property. In that case damage is still the same but the halfling gets disadvantage on his attack roll. This applies not only to greatswords, mauls and polearms, but to longbows and heavy crossbows as well.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads