• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Maur called for strategy meeting: PCs, sir Ghal, lady Pandour, the blacksmith, the healer...we all know something that could help and Maur has no local knowledge.

Catapults are great, we position some of 'our' npcs there to defend from the fliers. We protect sir Ghal aa we can, but primary PC duty is to get to the chief cultist and prevent high level spells from being hurled on commoners.

We get all holy water we can from the temple, shrine, aerons cottage etc.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
For @ScottDeWar_jr:
It is equivalent to the Fiery Tunic on pp. 99-100 of the Magic Item Compendium.
Resistance to Fire 5 (always active)
When activated (swift action), the sash generates a fire shield, as the spell (warm shield only), which lasts for 5 rounds. In addition, any melee weapons Quinn is holding (including Cruel Justice) while the fire shield is active are treated as flaming weapons (DMG 224). The effect can be deactivated at any time as another swift action. This ability can be used once/day.
Time for a cat nap! 😼

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Okay, new post added.

Lady Pendour has already set into motion a plan to evacuate all the noncombatants to Fort Symas. That is, at minimum, 270 people from the village and surrounding farms and ranches. There are a few commoners and experts left to help finish Angus's palisade. She is sending four members of the militia (fighters/warriors) with them along with any other 1st-level NPCs with PC class levels. That includes around 20 other villagers. Other villagers can choose to stay and fight with the militia but Lady Pendour will not force them.

I will roll randomly to see who decides to stay and fight with the PCs.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
D20 Roll + character level (DC 15)
Two 2nd-level bard
Two 2nd-level bards: 1D20+2 = [14]+2 = 16
1D20+2 = [2]+2 = 4 (one stays and fights, one flees)

One 1st-level ranger (-4)
One 1st-level ranger: 1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21 -4 = 17 (stays and fights)

One 8th-level wilderness rogue (-1 to roll)
One 8th-level wilderness rogue (-1 to roll): 1D20+7 = [9]+7 = 16 (stays and fights)

Two 4th-level rogues (-1 to roll)
One 4th-level rogue (-1 to roll): 1D20+3 = [9]+3 = 12 (flees)
One 4th-level rogue (-1 to roll): 1D20+3 = [2]+3 = 5 (flees)

Two 2nd-level rogues (-1 to roll)
Two 2nd-level rogues (-1 to roll): 1D20+1 = [20]+1 = 21
1D20+1 = [14]+1 = 15 (both stay and fight)

One 4th-level sorcerer
One 4th-level sorcerer (-2 to roll): 1D20+2 = [18]+2 = 20 (the Stump Sorcerer comes to Carnell's aid!)

Four 1st-level sorcerers (-4 to roll)
Four 1st-level sorcerers (-4 to roll): 1D20-3 = [19]-3 = 16
1D20-3 = [7]-3 = 4
1D20-3 = [11]-3 = 8
1D20-3 = [17]-3 = 14 (one fights and is a local, the other three are the Stump Sorcerer's neophyte cabal; he has ordered them to remain hidden)

Two 1st-level wizards (-4 to roll)
Two 1st-level wizards (-4 to roll): 1D20-3 = [9]-3 = 6
1D20-3 = [18]-3 = 15 (one flees, one stays and fights)
After my rolls, the following NPCs with class levels stay and fight with the PCs against the undead horde. I'll likely use the standard NPC stat blocks from the DMG for these NPCs.
  • One 1st-level ranger (Benedict Stevyn [male human]) †
  • One 1st-level sorcerer (Zofia Brae [female human])
  • One 1st-level wizard (Reynold Bradshawe [male human])
  • One 2nd-level bard (Eleanor Stevyn [female human]) †
  • Two 2nd-level rogues (Jasper Johns [male human], Lillie Frid [female human])
  • One 3rd-level druid (Syndra [female half-elf]]) [She arrives in time to help but has used up a few of her spells. There isn't time for her to use the shrine.]
  • One 4th-level sorcerer (Scarborax, The Stump Sorcerer [male chromithian]) ‡ [He comes out of the wilderness to help!] :D
  • One 8th-level wilderness rogue (Henry Hawrey [male human])
† Husband and wife.
‡ A small reptilian race from the d20 System sorucebook known as Mythic Races, which I use for the World of Kulan.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
@Neurotic, I just read your post. Very cool. That's worth at least 100 XP bonus!

@Tellerian Hawke, you get a 100 XP bonus for Angus's prayer to his goddess and @ScottDeWar_jr, you get a 100 XP bonus for Quinn's speech to the militia!

I'm rolling a Diplomacy check for Maur and will post my next set of replies a bit later in the day.
Maur - Diplomacy Roll vs Lady Pendour (Indifferent): 1D20+3 = [12]+3 = 15

She becomes Friendly to Maur but not Helpful. Hmm, I'm not sure she's going to change her plans, but I think she will take his advice to fight along the soldiers. I have to think about it. :unsure:

If she chooses to fight, she will then order her clerics of Inanna to use the shrine and go with the villagers to help protect them from the undead, if the horde gets by the PCs.

At this point, a little more than 1-1/2 hours have passed since Angus arrived back in Carnell carrying Maur, Quinn, and Xander. Caerth has already used his ring of sustenance to rest and regain his spells and Phar is roughly 4 hours into his rest cycle. That assumes Caerth used his ring within the 2-1/2 hours he had before the others arrived back in the village, which I'm assuming he did.

I would say Angus began his rest period about half an hour ago. So, roughly an hour after he arrived back in the village. I believe T.H. wrote that he's going to use the shrine for 4 hours, so he will be done in 3-1/2 hours. That leaves him 2-1/2 hours to help prepare for the attack assuming the horde isn't slowed down.

After helping the Bowen families (which took 4 hours), Aureus is just beginning to rest using her ring, and no one told her about the shrine's abilities, so she'll be done before Angus and opt to accept goodberry as her blessing from the shrine.

So, Maur and Quinn still have 4-1/2 hours to use the shrine.

Maur, as an Ordained Champion to Moradin can gain the full blessing of the shrine since the Great Gods of the demihumans (Corellon, Garl, Moradin, and Yondalla) are considered honorary members of the North Gods. This goes back to the time of The Challenge of Friendship between Cronn and Corellon. (I've posted details in the Campaign Guide thread.)

Remember that the bulk of the villagers don't know how the shrine works or that it could provide a blessing to those who use it and are sincere in their desire to seek the protection of the North Gods.

Remove ads