(OOC) Scourge of Daggerford (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Can I attack again - the orc attacked me.?..but there wasn't new round announcement.
Also:
Concentration check vs 10: 1D20+2 = [12]+2 = 14
PASS still have shield of faith active

I do partial round resolutions as often as possible so I don't fall behind. When it's all done I post the one with the map and call for next round. Sometimes that confuses people and that's okay.

We have two new players and a new non-player player so we're working out some kinks. But it's moving pretty quickly for PBP average so so far so good!

(And yes, the Houndmaster would need an unarmed attack with advantage. AC is only 11 so the math is well in his favour but he could 'miss'. Story-wise I wouldn't call it his foot missing, that's stupid, rather he kicks the dog, but fails to hurt or wake it.)

He could miss. His boot heel could catch the ground and his foot never reaches the dog. Or the dog just happens to roll over and the foot barely grazes its fur. :)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
He could miss. His boot heel could catch the ground and his foot never reaches the dog. Or the dog just happens to roll over and the foot barely grazes its fur. :)

Yeah, it could happen, especially while he's trying to do it so quickly that he still gets a sword-swing in! I just mean that he's unlikely to totally whiff it.

I think too many 'misses' are imagined as totally missing, which often brings down the feeling of competence. It's better, in my mind, to imagine a miss as something that caused things to suddenly get more difficult. This is easy when you have a direct opponent. You don't miss an orc - the orc bashes your weapon aside, etc. But it's harder when you're kicking a sleeping dog. Of course, the environment should play a part, too. So sure, in his rush to move on, he could go low and toe-bash the ground right under the dog, or as you say, swing as the dog rolls over.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Lol, that's why I added parentheses. Honestly, i generally consider rolling under a 10 as a complete whiff. From there I look at dex and avoidance as dodges and anything after that as being spoiled by armor.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Lol, that's why I added parentheses. Honestly, i generally consider rolling under a 10 as a complete whiff. From there I look at dex and avoidance as dodges and anything after that as being spoiled by armor.

I understand that tendency, but to me, that makes the general competency seem pretty sloppy. People who are competent at most things don't have such a high chance of utterly failing as the math of the game allows. I mean, that adds comedy, which is fine now and then, but I think there's a fine line between "s**t happens" and "everyone's a bumbling fool".

I guess it happens a bit because the turn-based mechanic of the game causes every roll to feel a bit like the conflict is "man vs himself" (his own roll) when most of it is really, "man vs monster" or "man vs environment". I'd rather blame one of the other two than blame my character for a poor roll, if you see what I mean.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Well, that is a tendency of the bounded accuracy systems like D&D. It has a tendency to keep ypur abilities a bit more down to earth.

On the other hand, Pathfinder (2e specifically) has a tendency to get pretty rediculous as the character levels go up. "Jumping to the moon" doesn't seem quite so unlikely whem you're a level 20 legendary athelete with all the feats, abilities and magical bonuses to back it up.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Sorry I took so long there, gang. I thought I was waiting on Tommi, but his was the first post after the round-shift! The page break was there, and it caused me to miss it.

Remove ads