The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Ryujin

Legend
I have often argued that endings are overrated in determining the value of a story.

For example, I think LOST was an (overall) awesome show. Some people argue that the ending and lack of answers "ruined it." I argue that the whole point was they were lost all along and any ending involving "finding answers" would have been worse (and to the degree they tried to give answers in that ending is what made it awful). I simply have never re-watched that ending, but have enjoyed part of the previous seasons over and over.

This is out of date now (esp. given Adnan Syad's recent freeing from prison), but I explored the idea of endings using Lost and the Serial podcast back in 2014: “We have to go back!” Getting Lost in the Serial Podcast
I just watched for a couple of seasons, after coming to the conclusion that they were all dead pretty early on, and moved on to something else.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
They weren't all dead all along. People always say that and it's never actually been true. I mean, except in the "flash-sideways" stuff that happened in the final season, but that was more of a "flash-way-way-forward" than anything.

Lost actually had a great ending.
the office agree GIF by EditingAndLayout

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
They weren't all dead all along. People always say that and it's never actually been true. I mean, except in the "flash-sideways" stuff that happened in the final season, but that was more of a "flash-way-way-forward" than anything.

Lost actually had a great ending.

All of these debates about shows' endings have happened before, and all of these debates about shows' endings will happen again.

Af0k.gif

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
All of these debates about shows' endings have happened before, and all of these debates about shows' endings will happen again.

Af0k.gif
Also a fantastic ending (until the last scene, anyway).

Fun fact: I was playing Mass Effect 3 at launch and loving every minute of it and started hearing grumbling about the ending, and I just kind of rolled my eyes, because of how much people complained about these two shows' endings and were incredibly wrong about them.

Turns out they weren't wrong about Mass Effect 3 though.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Also a fantastic ending (until the last scene, anyway).

Random (non-ordered) list of some of my favorite endings in TV history. I am sure there are others, but this is off the top of my head. If I had to go with one, it might The Leftovers.

1. The Americans.
2. The Prisoner.
3. Blake's 7.
4. Newhart.
5. Mr. Robot.
6. Angel.
7. The Leftovers.
8. The Shield.
9. BoJack Horseman.
10. The Sopranos.

Bonus: I can tell a lot about a person simply by learning their opinion of the ending of the Sopranos.

(slight edit)

Remove ads