The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
How much does it cost, in general terms, for this part of the process? Is it a reasonable hypothesis that Knock has already gone through this process weeks or months ago, and they're just doing the Kickstarter after everything else is done?
Depending on who you are going through, I am doing a POD and it is $30 per proof, offset printed proof can be a lot more, I looked at one printer and they wanted $165 per. It is time consuming, and weird things happen, like the cover image gets shifted, so back again you go.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Depending on who you are going through, I am doing a POD and it is $30 per proof, offset printed proof can be a lot more, I looked at one printer and they wanted $165 per. It is time consuming, and weird things happen, like the cover image gets shifted, so back again you go.
So, with something as aggressively complicated as Knock -- and thus be more potentially prone to errors with things being improperly offset, or whatever -- they probably need to have $1,000 (or whatever the Catalan equivalent is) on hand?

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
At a guess that poster is getting print on demand proofs intentionally early rather than offset printer proofs. When you have a book offset print they set the press up, send you one or a few copies to check everything’s good. Once they get the okay, they do the print run. It’s not something that generally sits for months waiting.
Depends, if your proof is coming from China ... who knows? You always find things though, so you have to submit a new file. I think many do go though the whole process before the kickstarter, and use it as advertising.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Depends, if your proof is coming from China ... who knows? You always find things though, so you have to submit a new file. I think many do go though the whole process before the kickstarter, and use it as advertising.
In this case, it sounds like it's coming from Basque country, which is relatively close to them. No idea what Basque printing costs, though.

dragoner

KosmicRPG.com
So, with something as aggressively complicated as Knock -- and thus be more potentially prone to errors with things being improperly offset, or whatever -- they probably need to have $1,000 (or whatever the Catalan equivalent is) on hand?
Totally, that is not an unreasonable amount. The kickstarter might also set the number for the print run, like initial order is say a thousand books, though if the ks does well they will order more.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That really wouldn’t work. You’d have no clue how many books to print. Printing too many or not enough could ruin you, financially. Especially when talking about relatively high-cost products like full-color hardback RPG books. More than likely people honestly use Kickstarter to find out how many books to print. They probably get quotes from a few printers and check schedules to make sure they’re available. Etc.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It is kinda wild to see 2-3 people on your ignore list go at each other for pages on end. I get to see maybe 1-2 posts per page sometimes. It's really odd.
Wow! Your ignore list must be huge. I've been told that I'm one of the mist ignored people here, yet I only miss a few posts per page on average. Didn't miss a single one on the page I just quoted you on.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Porch Pirates stepping up their game this season

View attachment 334585
I passed this one on the 405 a few weeks ago.

20231114_102105.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads