TUW: Boga City

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Y 0: D 197: Doldrums 47: Speaking with Zaelostrymiran

Vadin says to the trade commissioner,
"It is good to meet you Zaelostrymiran, thank you for the welcome, and hospitality. Perhaps we can meet some of these guardsmen while we are here."
The Commissioner nods.
"Speak to whomever you like. Slythe Ghostwalker is the captain of the guard, if you would like to speak to him. Especially around midday, you will find him at his tavern which is on the eastern edge of the city in the Guild District. He also serves excellent food."

Sannit says,
"I am Sannit and this is my mate, Bolo. We do have a few more questions. Can we carry our weapons inside the city? Also, are there any parts of the city that we should avoid? Sacred areas and such?"
Zaelostrymiran gestures to the clerk to let him know that he does not mind answering the questions. The Faethrin seems to like conversation.
"Good to meet you. Yes, you may carry your weapons within the city. Most still carry a weapon of some sort. The park has two sacred areas in it. One in the Academy District and one in the Residential District. The only thing I would really caution you about is to be aware of the excessive amount of construction, but that is for you own safety. You can even pick the fruit that grows on the trees in the park, and I would appreciate if you are careful not to damage the plants. It is a work in progress."

Sannit smiles and glances down over his attire.
Kwargrow said:
"Yes, that is true. The leather work in our town is second to none. If you choose to make a trip to Southroad Fair, be sure and meet with Mayor Giodavi. I am certain you will be pleased with the advancements our town is making under his leadership."
"Giodavi. Got it. I will do just that."

Saemund pipes up.
Master Zaelostrymiran, i'm always interested in increasing my skill in martial combat, do you know of any fighters of exceptional skill in the city?
Zaelostrymiran places his right hand on his chest.
"Ah, please, no title. Most people just call me Zael; although I must say, I have had to get used to 'Commissioner.' Yes, there are several combatants with exceptional skill, but you will have no need to look for them specifically. There are several schools of combat in the Academy district, from the basics to much more complicated styles. You are welcome to pay for a lesson. The schools are open to anyone. You do not have to be a resident."

Sheldon is surprised.
"I was born here, but left as a child. Are you saying everyone here is now trained in combat?"

Zaelostrymiran laughs.
"Of course not, but everyone has the opportunity. The Mayor is of the philosophy that if everyone has an equal opportunity of training then it is less likely of the whole that one or a few would seek to use physical prowess as a means of trying to take advantage of others. The education opportunities here are not limited to combat. The Academy District was the first to undergo renovation. There are schools for literacy, herbalism, history, and mathematics. The Guild District offers apprenticeships in all local trades. Lessons cost coin. Apprenticeships require time obligations.

Anything else
?"

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Zaelostrymiran said:
"...Ah, please, no title. Most people just call me Zael..."

Merin muses inwardly, ~No one could be that comfortable with a strange bear, who is not restrained in any way, unless they have knowledge of domestication methods involving the use of Way. Let's see if my hunch is correct.~

Merin approaches Zael, and asks, in a quiet, almost whispered tone: "Commissioner Zael, I am interested in deeper academic studies; I have an interest in the theoretical, philosophical, and the metaphysical, if you know what I mean. Is there anyone here that I could apprentice under?"

Merin watches Zael carefully for signs of understanding and recognition, trying to gauge his reaction.

MacConnell

Y 0: D 197: Doldrums 47: Speaking with Zaelostrymiran, Part 2

Merin approaches Zael, and asks, in a quiet, almost whispered tone:
"Commissioner Zael, I am interested in deeper academic studies; I have an interest in the theoretical, philosophical, and the metaphysical, if you know what I mean. Is there anyone here that I could apprentice under?"
The Commissioner does not balk, does not bat an eye, does not even seem to pause for thought.
"Well of course not. How does one teach what cannot be taught?

Imagine trying to teach this bear to speak. Sure you can get him to understand some words, but he will only ever be able to make sounds that a bear can make.

Or better yet, how do you teach colors to a blind man? How does one convey such distinctions in vision when the other has not the gift of sight? But in your case, I should propose, how do you teach a bird to fly? The bird already knows how to fly. It has to wait for the proper feathers to grow in before it can really soar, but the skill is instinctive, none the less.

Thanks to the malevolence to the point of psychosis of the three tribes of peoples who retained such gift after the sundering, it is not even possible to thoroughly discuss such paranormal sensitivity. On the very rare occasion that such a gift finds itself bestowed upon another, he must delve out to provide his own knowledge and best if done away from the eyes of the general public who would name him Blighter and seek his end
."

He leans in toward Merin and lowers his voice slightly.
"By the way, you are mixing your terminologies. Academia is more the proclivity of the ladies, here. You are more disposed to aberration."

He leans back and adds in Amiradthan.
"Una ultima cosa. Por favor, no prender fuego cuando estan aqui."
[sblock=Ansylin]One last thing. Please do not set anything on fire while you all are here.[/sblock]

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit does not speak Amidrathran so he simple smiles at the last exchange. He asks Zael, "Is there a place where we could meet privately and further discuss Boga City and the surrounding communities? And maybe we could squeeze a few philosophical debates in while we're at it."

You can even pick the fruit that grows on the trees in the park,

Free fruit in the park? Bolo knows she will have a time keeping the bear from picking the trees clean.

Despite the friendly man, Turtle is wondering when they're going to go inside and eat.

Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Y 0: D 197: Doldrums 47: Speaking with Zaelostrymiran, Part 3

Sannit ... asks Zael,
"Is there a place where we could meet privately and further discuss Boga City and the surrounding communities? And maybe we could squeeze a few philosophical debates in while we're at it."
The Commissioner think for a moment.
"I have other activities to which I need to attend, today. I was, simply, wanting to meet you. If you are going to be in the city for a day or two, leave word with any guard or at the desk where you are staying, and I will see what I can do. Now, I must be about my normal business. I will leave it to Thomas, here, to facilitate trade. Happy Hunting."

With that, Zaelostrymiran turns and walks back into the city.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Merin thanks Zael, and bids him good day. Tor notices that his friend looks a little non-plussed by Zael’s response and asks him what’s the matter.

Merin replies,
It’s always the same, wherever we go. Those who can make use of Way are secretive, and unwilling to form communities among others with the talent. And I refuse to believe that mastery of Way cannot be taught. Bears and birds do not have language, and cannot form complex thought. I, on the other hand, can describe in minute detail how it feels to manifest Way, to sense it, to manipulate it; I believe that I could instruct a neophyte quite well in the art of Way. And surely, I am not the first person to have this thought, this desire, this goal. Surely there are others willing to share their knowledge. And I intend to find them, no matter how many condescending, lone wolves I have to talk to. I bear Zael no ill will, but he is blind. The reason we are forced to hide and fear discovery is because there exists no sense of unity or belonging among Benders. I intend to change that.”

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Saemund looks at Merin,
"People fear what they do not understand."

Saemund speaks to the group.
"Lets figure out lodgings. I am eager to seek out someone to practice my axe forms with. Anyone else coming?"

MacConnell

Y 0: D 197: Doldrums 47: The Commissioner Departs

OOC: GM NOTE: (Some general history the characters would know.)

Less than a millennia in the past the world that was known was broken by the gods in an event that came to be called The Sundering. The general concept was that a group of the most knowledgeable and powerful of the Yahdram Benders conspired to challenge the gods. The lesser known truth that the characters would have heard as passing rumor is that instead of a direct challenge, the group thought to steal immortality. In a conflict that lasted for about 2 years, the gods eventually collaborated to fracture the Yahdram into 3 distinct races. Not all Yahdram were proficient Benders, though all had the potential. The Benders were blamed for breaking the world. After the Sundering, the tribes that retained such ability are all malevolent further denigrating the common opinion.

Merin replies,
It’s always the same... I intend to change that.”

Sheldon responds,
"I hear you. Maybe we are going about this the wrong way. We need to try to engage one of the other Benders, when no one else is around. Better yet, if we could ever find one away from a town. I am sure one of these elders could offers us ideas that have not yet occurred to us, which would increase our knowledge and proficiency. Everyone is just so unwilling to demonstrate anything other than sensitivity."

Kwargrow

Gamer Extraordinaire
Sannit says, "That's why I asked Zael if we could meet privately with him. Maybe he would open up a little more then. Let's not be too hard on those that wish to keep their abilities secret. We are not just asking them for lessons, we are asking them to risk their lives, their livelihoods, everything they have built for themselves. I am all for seeking knowledge but we cannot act as though our concerns are the only ones."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Sannit said:
"...We are not just asking them for lessons, we are asking them to risk their lives, their livelihoods, everything they have built for themselves."

Merin nods, "Friend Sannit, I hold you in high esteem, but this is where we must agree to disagree. Life itself is a risk. I could fall off a cliff tomorrow and die. You or Bolo might contract an incurable disease, and wither away over several months' time. Tor here could get eaten by a lizard while he sleeps. Each day of life is a gift for all of us. Tomorrow isn't guaranteed. The risks are just as high alone as they are together. So the way I see it, why not die among friends?"

Tor nods in solemn agreement. "We're stronger together. We should not let fear keep us from living our lives to the fullest."

GM: With the NPCs engaged, fear is never the consideration. It is dignity, discretion, and respect for the general populace. A populace that greatly fears the manipulation of Way. This is part of the core background of the gaming system. For your characters to successfully engage others concerning this subject you will need to brooch it privately. The characters would actually know this and respect it. Public opinion cannot be changed, in real life or in the game, even if the public is wrong. There are people who still believe in spontaneous generation.

For a little humor:
  • Point of Fact: Merin, or any other PC, could not fall off a cliff.
  • For a PC, there is no such thing as an incurable disease.
  • Konokoro! No PC will be eaten in his sleep.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases