Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne OOC

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
The group I played with - and the way I like to play - was far less particular about counting every copper piece.

'Good' items are 'good' items. If it get one now, I may express an interest in the next one that comes along but I'm not gonna press if someone esle wants it. So I guess my view regarding the bracers is this:

Manachan can use them. His use of them will benefit him, yes. But in terms of this game, benefitting him is really benefitting the party. He's less likely to be hit, putting less drain on other party resources such as healing spells, potions, etc. In other words, whether he uses them or they're sold off, their only function is to help the group. The only difference is the type of benefit to the group. Selling them gets the others more toys. Giving them to Manachan makes him more effective, thus helping the others.

Regarding the wand, Manachan's view is that it should be used however it will best serve the greater good of the city that currently employs him. I don't know what that is so I don't have a specific opinion about it. He would object to timing the sale so that it best benefits the party only if he thought that timing the sale would hamper the wands benefit to the city.

Trying to squeeze this in between clients, so I'm rushed and probably not making a lot of sense, but there's my two coppers worth as best I can put it together right now.

Ambrus

Explorer
View posted top of the page.
That post doesn't address the issue of the wands of remove disease.

There are many different viewpoints and levels of interest in regards to treasure. I've met players and GMs who are content to hand wave away all but the broadest aspects of character wealth as well as those who insist on tracking every single copper piece and seized arrow (broken or not). Some are so blasé about splitting loot that they won't even bother writing down what they get while others will bicker over whose character deserves a ring of protection +1 more. Some players don't care about gems or magic items; all they want to hear is how much, in gold pieces, their share is in the final tally.

There are all kinds of players out there and, in a PBP in which most players aren't familiar with each other's preferences, I figure it's best to simply follow the 3.x treasure division guidelines from the Player's Handbook. No single approach will satisfy everyone, but going by the book seems to satisfy others more than any other single system I've seen in play. I'm not against the idea of coming up with a different system. But until one is agreed upon by all players, it's tricky do move forward.

I also tend to assume treasure tracking responsibilities in the groups in which I play because, in my experience, without adequate bookkeeping various resources are often forgotten about. No one is certain who's carrying what, what resources have been expended or what remains available. Such issues drive me nuts when I'm GMing as it tends to lower the effectiveness/survivability of the group in my experience.

Regarding the wands (we have two) of remove disease, Dj'hân is content to keep the one with fewer charges in case the party or its allies happen to fall ill. Keeping a second fully charged wand (which represents the most valuable object we've ever had) in the midst of a plague rather than selling it to those who are bound to use it for the greater good on the off chance that we might also need it seems rather selfish and excessive to me. Edmond clearly sees things differently. Neither opinion is clearly right or wrong. The party needs to reach some sort of consensus to act so we need for the rest of the party to take a stance on the issue and chime in. This is an important character defining issue guys; lives are on the line and the clock is ticking. You're adventurers; be bold and get off the fence. :p

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I also tend to assume treasure tracking responsibilities in the groups in which I play
[/QUOTE]

And thanks god for that. I tend to track my part in RG accurately, but splitting fairly is beyond me.

Edmond clearly sees things differently. Neither opinion is clearly right or wrong.

I think it's not for sale simply for story reasons (a bit of metagaming I konw, but still) - it's too strange that WE get fully charged wand when priests and doctors walk around. I think something's fishy and either Kroft is somehow corrupted or she suspects temple or doctors are not on the level, therefore we got the wand.

Selling it to someone who can afford it will cause a) potentialyl corrupted institution to get it or b) selfish nobleman to get it.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Why not have all this treasure be concidered party treasure and let Mowgli's character use the bracelet's for now. When he finds something better it would be easier to just put it back in the "party pot".

Wow I quoted my self twice in one page I am so conceited LOL, :p

All this treasure includes the wands, they are the main reason I thought of doing the division this way (and only for this "batch" of treasure) as they wil be used by the group as a whole.

I hear you about treasure I handed it out and no one knows where it is (what it is) and who has it. I give out cure potions and when the group has players down to 3hp they are like. "Remember when we found the box with the two crystal vials?"

I say "No that was eight months ago." LOL :confused:

I like the way treasure has been divided so far and wish that to be the main stay, but think we should be starting a "party pot" for raise dead, higher restorations (or immediate ones if Brindom doesn't have it on hand), and stuff like that.

HM

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
In general, as levels rise there will be MORE items that have improportional value and occasionaly there will be a spike in particular character wealth. I don't think it's worth arguing about.

I could've have magic weapon or armor. I choose to crimp myself and most of you agreed by pouring the money into the house.

It's just not THAT important. Manachan can use the bracers, OK he'll get them and next time he will not get something else and maybe Dj'ahn will (seeing how most wands will only be his to use)

But yes, we need to agree on Remove Disease wand

Hereby I vote NO to selling it

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Manachan votes that we either keep the wand or give it to a physician or church of our choosing. To sell it at this point would be to try and profit from the misfortune of others.

Ambrus

Explorer
I'd just like to point out that selling something for its regular price isn't undue profiteering; these wands do represent, at minimum, a costly investment of time and expensive resources after all. Hiking up the price above its usual cost to capitalize on the misfortune of others; now that would be profiteering. If there's a desire to be unusually charitable however then it'd be a simple matter to reduce the price below its normal sale value; 50% represents a non-profit sale margin. Even charities have to cover their expenses after all. ;)

That being said, if we do decide to keep both wands, what do we do with them exactly? If we're of a mind to simply hand one or both wands over to a church or physician for free, then we might as well simply walk around, knock on the doors of the sick and use the wand(s) ourselves to cure the ill; that way we'd at least be certain that they'd being used judiciously for their intended purpose. Even physicians and churches are capable of corruption after all.

Dj'hân objects to the notion of simply holding onto both wands and not using them on the off chance we'll need to cure ourselves and our allies 50+ times. Sitting on a stockpile of curing magic during a plague seems excessively paranoid and unconscionable.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
How do we know we aren't all affected right now. Maybe we should use the full wand on all of us now (just the group) and leave the 7 charged wand at the house to help whomever we might have infected. Taking it that someone there can use it, I'm not sure on this.

Dj'hân might want to wait to see what this newest adventure entails, before putting his small foot down. LOL

As we can't cure everyone in the city and those of the church can not either. We keep the wand and stop this disease at the source. Then if the wand is still about to sell afterwards we can.

So that's another NO to selling it off as any money we gain can't compensate for what it can do for us during this outbreak.

HM

Ambrus

Explorer
Fair enough; so we keep both wands. Though, unless an NPC ally has been hiding some cleric levels or ranks in Use Magic Device, it'd seem the only characters who could use the wands would be Dj'hân and Brindom.

Remove ads