• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Time for Ceramic DM? (judge-free commentary thread NO JUDGES ALLOWED AS OF NOW :) )

BSF

Explorer
Has anyone asked Barsoomcore about judging? (I have no problem with Zhaneel judging either, but if she does not want to...)

Noskov - The premise is that you are paired off with another competitor. Our esteemed pic-picker will post up several pictures/pieces of art. From the time it is posted up, you and your competitor have 72 hours (We are doing 72 hours this time right?) to write a short story. The pics should be treated as illustrations for your story. Thus, each pic should be woven into the story in a meaningful way. Once both your stories are posted, the judges will decide which one they liked best and the winner will go to the next round.

It's tough. The pics are generally not easy to integrate. They are often very disparate. It is hard not to have a "throwaway" pic because it is difficult to weave in so many disparate subjects in a meaningful and consistent manner. But, it is fun.

There are more specifics, but I will leave that to alsih2o to bring up. :)

Last edited:

alsih2o

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
Has anyone asked Barsoomcore about judging? (I have no problem with Zhaneel judging either, but if she does not want to...)

There are more specifics, but I will leave that to alsih2o to bring up. :)

No idea how to contact barsoomcore, but wouldn't have any problem with that.

And you go right on explainin', the contestants always do that so much better than I do. :)

Noskov

Explorer
I've been looking at some of the older stuff. I'm not sure I'll be any good at this, but I'll give it a try if you need an alternate or whatever.

alsih2o

First Post
Noskov said:
I've been looking at some of the older stuff. I'm not sure I'll be any good at this, but I'll give it a try if you need an alternate or whatever.

In my humble opinion the point isn't to see if oyu are any good, it is to make you better. :)

It is really a sink or swim proposition. :)

BSF

Explorer
alsih2o said:
In my humble opinion the point isn't to see if oyu are any good, it is to make you better. :)

It is really a sink or swim proposition. :)

*laugh* True enough! The odd thing is that when I get done writing a story, I become less concerned with the idea of whether I won. The emotional roller coaster afterward is weird. I tend to feel like this: "OK - I finished it. It wasn't perfect, but I think I got the idea out." Then, a little while later the adrenaline rush starts to wear off and my thoughts are, "Wow, cool! That was a rough 72 hours. I wish I didn't have to work, or sleep. Maybe I could have done better if I had spent more time writing it. Dang, I wonder if anyone will like it?" Then, I get some sleep and start to really think about it. "I don't believe I forgot that. What the heck was I thinking? Look at those typos! Is that a grammar error? Hey, I think I missed typing a word there. Garbage! It's all garbage!" Then, I get a bit more sleep and I start to get just a bit of distance again and I can put it in perspective. "Yeah, that was a bit too ambitious for the time allowed. I need more time spent with editing and the like. Still, maybe the story has merit. Maybe somebody will like it. I wonder what the judges will have to say?" Finally, the judgements come in and I can see that generally somebody was entertained. The errors and weaknesses are pointed out to me. It makes me sit back and nod and think about how I might have done it better. Its a thrill to go to the next round because that means another chance to go through the process again. But, it is also fine to lose because it just means that somebody else went through the same thing, but did it a little better in some way. Even if it just comes down to them liking one story better, how can you argue with that? They are judges and that is what they are doing. :) It is a fun experience and I think my writing has improved a little because of it.

MarauderX

Explorer
BardStephenFox said:
*laugh* True enough! The odd thing is that when I get done writing a story, ...snip... It is a fun experience and I think my writing has improved a little because of it.

I think you just summed up Stephen King's On Writing in one paragraph.

I am looking forward to it, do we have the last judge and when do we start?

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Piratecat said:
Hmm. I hadn't intended to smack-talk the judges. This bodes ill.
If you think smack-talk to judges bodes ill,
Perhaps this will give you a chill:
BARSOOMCORE'S on hand,
And his PARticular brand
Of taste is what you now must fulfill.

Hear ye, hear ye, hear ye... da judge is IN da house.

A couple of tips for all you pottered cats:

1. Rhymes good.
2. Golden Retrievers better.
3. Saying mean things about Mary Poppins, Maggie Cheung or dinosaurs will only cost you.

Let's have a clean fight, people. Keep your gloves high and your keen sense for evil-eyed smack-talking posturing tuned to a feverishly fever pitch. Bring it.

Remove ads