Ceramic Dm (final judgement posted, New Champion announced!)

Berandor

lunatic
Just one thing from the other thread (and if you want to read more, read there :))

Finally, let it be said that I hate the pictures that were given to us. Roger Ebert-North-hate. These pics were so generic they didn't really inspire me at all, in any way. Writing a story around these pics was nearly impossible; in the end, I had to write a story first and then find a place for the pictures, plus making them meaningful or essential. That was brutal, simply because these pics could have been from any frickin fantasy story ever written.

So there!

mythago

Hero
I'm not burned out at all--it's good to be on the other end of the raccoon stick once in a while. The slowness of judgment has everything to do with a crushing work schedule and nothing to do with the stories themselves. I usually print 'em out and read them once, then go back with a red pen and write scribbly notes for later.

So, uh, we can read the No Judges thread now, right?

BSF

Explorer
I see no reason why you couldn't. Though, when I was referencing all the Ceramic DM threads, I began to seriously question the need for the other thread. It does seem like we lose a certain amount of participation and if there are any overriding comments, those can always be spoilered.

What does everyone else think?

Berandor

lunatic
The only thing I want to be able to is reading the stories and commenting on them before judgement is given, because I like to give feedback and do so when the story is fresh on my mind, but after judgements I kind of lack the energy to tread the same ground again.

Oh, and mythago, read on. Uh, and ignore those comments about your mother, ok? I was kind of stressed out then.

Last edited:

Graywolf-ELM

Explorer
Congrats' to Berandor, and to everyone else with the guts to participate. Thank you to the judges, your judgement showed me I need to give up, or spend more time writing to hone what skills I might have. This was an enjoyable, if stressful competition.

GW

alsih2o

First Post
berandor said:
Finally, let it be said that I hate the pictures that were given to us. Roger Ebert-North-hate. These pics were so generic they didn't really inspire me at all, in any way. Writing a story around these pics was nearly impossible; in the end, I had to write a story first and then find a place for the pictures, plus making them meaningful or essential. That was brutal, simply because these pics could have been from any frickin fantasy story ever written.

I win!! ;)

Well, it is a ball every time for me. I am wondering if the next shouldn't be an open entry, with judges choosing the best 8 to compete?

Berandor- are you interested in some judging?

How does everyone feel? what needs improved? What needs revamped? Which originator needs locled out to make room for real talent?

mythago

Hero
Problem with open entry is doing the match-ups, and then having people bust their butts to get *into* Ceramic DM. I like the idea of just taking as many people who want to sign up in, I dunno, a 3-day period.

Maybe drop the word count in the first round, and use 3 pictures instead of four. This would make it easier on the judges during the biggest part of the competition, and might also speed things up a bit from a competitor standpoint.

If the first round were 3 pictures/3000 words, say, then those competing might find it a little easier to fit into their daily schedule, and it would be easier to schedule each pairing.

Remove ads