D&D 5E Xanathar's Guide to Everything: What subclasses made the cut?

Li Shenron

Legend
I am not even sure if I remember all subclasses that were in UA, but let's see... I mark here the confirmed subclasses, and those which were revised a second time in UA, which I think will all end up in the book too. My guesses are marked with *

Barbarian:

- Ancestral Guardian (revised)*
- Storm Herald*
- Zealot

My bet is on the Storm Herald, but personally I wouldn't want too many storm-themed subclasses so I'd be more interested in the Zealot.

Bard:

- Glamour (confirmed)*
- Satire
- Swords (revised)*
- Whispers

I don't think the other 2 will make the cut.

Cleric:

- Forge (confirmed)*
- Grave*
- Protection*

Mearls said that making domains is easy and he loves doing that, so my guess is that all three will be in the book (but then, in case you haven't noticed, he already got FOUR domains released in the Amonkhet free web enchancement). If not, I really hope Grave wins, because it's not rare to want to have clerics of non-evil death gods (Kelemvor, the Raven Queen, Osiris...), and the DMG Death domain certainly is not good at all for them.

Druid:

- Dreams (confirmed)*
- Shepherd (revised)*
- Twilight

I don't think the last will make it.

Fighter:

- Arcane Archer (revised)*
- Cavalier (revised, confirmed)*
- Knight
- Monster Hunter
- Samurai (confirmed)*
- Scout
- Sharpshooter

The Knight is ruled out because it's said to have been merged with Cavalier. The Scout and Monster Hunter are most certainly dropped, since they were revised as a Rogue and Ranger subclass respectively. The Sharpshooter was revealed to have received the worst feedback, so it's also probably dropped.

Monk:

- Drunken Master*
- Kensei (revised)*
- Tranquility

I really liked the Tranquility monk, but I don't think it was popular enough.

Paladin:

- Conquest (revised)*
- Redemption*
- Treachery

Treachery would mean too many evil paladin options IMO.

Ranger:

- Deep Stalker (revised)*
- Horizon Walker (confirmed)*
- Monster Slayer
- Primeval Guardian

Rogue:

- Inquisitive (confirmed)*
- Scout*

Didn't like the Scout, but it's pretty certainly in the book since there aren't any more subclasses left...

Sorcerer:

- Favored Soul (revised)*
- Phoenix*
- Sea
- Shadow (confirmed)*
- Stone

I liked the Sea sorcerer most as a concept, but I think the Phoenix (or Fire sorcerer) is such an easy choice that WotC might not want to miss on that.

Warlock:

- Hexblade*
- Raven Queen
- Seeker
- Celestial (confirmed)*

I think the Hexblade is likely, because its invocations were revised.

Wizard:

- Artificer
- Lore Mastery
- Theurgy
- War Magic*

Artificer is out, because it was confirmed later that it will be a full class, some time in the future. War Magic is the easiest choice. To me both the War Mage and the Theurge sucked big time, as I don't really think they added anything at all to the game (as if we didn't already have more than one way to build an efficient Wizard/Cleric hybrid, or a battle-oriented wizard). A Loremaster would be really the only archetype which the game doesn't already explicitly offer i.e. a generalist wizard with enhanced knowledge. Sadly, because of its flawed implementation, it received very poor feedback and so it's very unlikely they continued working on it.

---

SCAG subclasses:

- Battlerager
- Arcana domain*
- Purple Dragon Knight
- Long Death
- Sun Soul
- Crown paladin
- Mastermind*
- Swashbuckler*
- Storm sorcerer
- Undying warlock
- Bladesinger*

I don't have SCAG so I am very interested in the 4 reprints, but I am a bit worried here... I'd really like to have the Crown paladin, Swashbuckler, Storm sorcerer and Undying warlock, because IMO those four are wide concepts enough that I can easily incorporate to my fantasy settings and seel to my players. But besides the Swashbuckler (which is kind-of confirmed by their mention of an upcoming actual rules revision of it), I am afraid that WotC will not resist the temptation of picking the Arcana domain and the Bladesinger, both of which are very boring to me. And then maybe the Mastermind only to boost the Rogue for which they didn't bother designing much at all in UA.

Last edited:

GarrettKP

Explorer
I am not even sure if I remember all subclasses that were in UA, but let's see... I mark here the confirmed subclasses, and those which were revised a second time in UA, which I think will all end up in the book too. My guesses are marked with *

Barbarian:

- Ancestral Guardian (revised)*
- Storm Herald*
- Zealot

My bet is on the Storm Herald, but personally I wouldn't want too many storm-themed subclasses so I'd be more interested in the Zealot.

Bard:

- Glamour (confirmed)*
- Satire
- Swords (revised)*
- Whispers

I don't think the other 2 will make the cut.

Cleric:

- Forge (confirmed)*
- Grave*
- Protection*

Mearls said that making domains is easy and he loves doing that, so my guess is that all three will be in the book (but then, in case you haven't noticed, he already got FOUR domains released in the Amonkhet free web enchancement). If not, I really hope Grave wins, because it's not rare to want to have clerics of non-evil death gods (Kelemvor, the Raven Queen, Osiris...), and the DMG Death domain certainly is not good at all for them.

Druid:

- Dreams (confirmed)*
- Shepherd (revised)*
- Twilight

I don't think the last will make it.

Fighter:

- Arcane Archer (revised)*
- Cavalier (revised, confirmed)*
- Knight
- Monster Hunter
- Samurai (confirmed)*
- Scout
- Sharpshooter

The Knight is ruled out because it's said to have been merged with Cavalier. The Scout and Monster Hunter are most certainly dropped, since they were revised as a Rogue and Ranger subclass respectively. The Sharpshooter was revealed to have received the worst feedback, so it's also probably dropped.

Monk:

- Drunken Master*
- Kensei (revised)*
- Tranquility

I really liked the Tranquility monk, but I don't think it was popular enough.

Paladin:

- Conquest (revised)*
- Redemption*
- Treachery

Treachery would mean too many evil paladin options IMO.

Ranger:

- Deep Stalker (revised)*
- Horizon Walker (confirmed)*
- Monster Slayer
- Primeval Guardian

Rogue:

- Inquisitive (confirmed)*
- Scout*

Didn't like the Scout, but it's pretty certainly in the book since there aren't any more subclasses left...

Sorcerer:

- Favored Soul (revised)*
- Phoenix*
- Sea
- Shadow (confirmed)*
- Stone

I liked the Sea sorcerer most as a concept, but I think the Phoenix (or Fire sorcerer) is such an easy choice that WotC might not want to miss on that.

Warlock:

- Hexblade*
- Raven Queen
- Seeker
- Celestial (confirmed)*

I think the Hexblade is likely, because its invocations were revised.

Wizard:

- Artificer
- Lore Mastery
- Theurgy
- War Magic*

Artificer is out, because it was confirmed later that it will be a full class, some time in the future. War Magic is the easiest choice. To me both the War Mage and the Theurge sucked big time, as I don't really think they added anything at all to the game (as if we didn't already have more than one way to build an efficient Wizard/Cleric hybrid, or a battle-oriented wizard). A Loremaster would be really the only archetype which the game doesn't already explicitly offer i.e. a generalist wizard with enhanced knowledge. Sadly, because of its flawed implementation, it received very poor feedback and so it's very unlikely they continued working on it.

---

SCAG subclasses:

- Battlerager
- Arcana domain*
- Purple Dragon Knight
- Long Death
- Sun Soul
- Crown paladin
- Mastermind*
- Swashbuckler*
- Storm sorcerer
- Undying warlock
- Bladesinger*

I don't have SCAG so I am very interested in the 4 reprints, but I am a bit worried here... I'd really like to have the Crown paladin, Swashbuckler, Storm sorcerer and Undying warlock, because IMO those four are wide concepts enough that I can easily incorporate to my fantasy settings and seel to my players. But besides the Swashbuckler (which is kind-of confirmed by their mention of an upcoming actual rules revision of it), I am afraid that WotC will not resist the temptation of picking the Arcana domain and the Bladesinger, both of which are very boring to me. And then maybe the Mastermind only to boost the Rogue for which they didn't bother designing much at all in UA.

You think the Mastermind makes it in over the Storm Sorcerer for SCAG reprints?

Also Theurgy got a revision in UA but you did not mark it. To me that indicates Theurgist is the likely Wizard choice.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
You think the Mastermind makes it in over the Storm Sorcerer for SCAG reprints?

Also Theurgy got a revision in UA but you did not mark it. To me that indicates Theurgist is the likely Wizard choice.
I doubt the Mastermind will get a reprint; I bet they chose 4 based on what has gotten heavy use in AL, so as to inconvenience as few players as possible.

Theurge is a personal favorite of [MENTION=697]mearls[/MENTION] and was solidly designed, so I wager it is in.

Both evil Paladins is my guess on that score, to balance less nefarious Warlocks...

Last edited:

Remove ads