airwalkrr's Rise of the Runelords (IC)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

Marcas nods at Deivon. "Aye, it burned some years ago in the Late Unpleasantness of which Sankitah spoke, taking several of the surrounding buildings as well."
[/section]
AC: 14 (14 Touch, 11 Flat-Footed)
HP: 09/09
Senses: Perception +7
CMB: +02 CMD: 16
Fort: +03 Reflex: +05 Will: +04
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Talashia looks up from the odd little bronze thingy she's fiddling with, and her eyes have the slightly distant cast of someone who hasn't been paying attention and is trying to catch up before someone realizes it.

"It's no great surprise that the fire wasn't an accident," she says slowly, "That always sounded like wishful thinking to me. If your friend saw something though, why didn't he go to the..." An expression of 'ohhhhhh' crosses her face then. "Right. Nevermind."

"As for the rest...dreams. This has always been a town more devoted to Desna. Not that they don't honor Saranrae too, but..." Talashia shrugs and holds up what she's been toying with. A little bronze ornament in the shape of a butterfly. "See? Desna."

rangerjohn

Explorer
"Let's see how do I respond to that without sounding defensive. One I do not believe Desna and Serenrae are at odds. Two I mentioned it as a matter of caution, not condemnation. As for it just being a dream, that may not be the case, as I continued to see the representation of Serenrae, even upon waking."

airwalkrr

Adventurer
OOC: I was having internet trouble yesterday and wasn't able to post. Do any of you have an idea about where you'd like to visit this day, or should I move things along to the next day? I could provide a narration of what happens when you ask around town about the notion that someone was seen at the scene of the crime in the burning of the old chapel. From what I gather some of you might be interested in visiting the new cathedral. Since I want to get things moving along, I will wait until this evening to update. If I get an indication from one or two of you about a place you'd like to visit, we'll go there. Otherwise, I'll advance to the next day.

kinem

Adventurer
Duko will meet up with Passang at some point, probably just while looking around town, and ask him if he's seen anything odd that could potentially be related to the threat.

Also, he has no real interest in religion, but the cathedral seems a logical place to ask about a crime against the old chapel.

airwalkrr

Adventurer
The day before the festival is a busy one, far busier than the day you arrived. Everyone in town is hurrying about, seeming to be up to something. Several caravans have arrived it seems just in time and their masters are barking orders while the porters and teamsters hustle to get the goods to their appointed locations. As such, it is difficult to get anyone to give you a word edgewise.

Your party goes to visit the new cathedral, and it is grand. It is reminiscent of some of the marvelous cathedrals you have seen in Magnimar and other large cities, only on a smaller scale. Easily the largest structure in Sandpoint, it is also the most recently constructed. Sandpoint Cathedral is not dedicated to the worship of a single deity. Rather, it gathers under its eaves the six most commonly worshiped deities in the region: Abadar, Desna, Erastil, Gozreh, Sarenrae, and Shelyn. The building provides chapels for all of these deities in a communal forum--in a way, Sandpoint Cathedral is six different churches under one impressive roof.

The core of the new cathedral is an open-air courtyard surrounding a set of seven standing stones, which themselves surround a circular stone altar. Varisian oral tradition maintains that the seven stones represent the seven towers of Desna's otherworldly palace.

[sblock=Knowledge (history) or (local) DC 15; +5 bonus for natives of Sandpoint or those of Varisian descent]Even the previous chapel wasn't the first holy site on this location. The core of both the original chapel and the new cathedral is the same open-air courtyard with the same seven standing stones and circular stone altar. These stones served the Varisians for centuries as a place of worship; they generally venerated Desna and various Empyreal Lords at these stones.[/sblock]

It takes a while before you can get an audience with the new high-priest, Abstalar Zanthus, and when he does meet with you, your time with him is brief.

"Well met, and do call me Father Abner; all the locals do. I'm afraid I don't know anything about rumors of arson," the priest admits. "Quite frankly I'm shocked anyone could have started such a nasty rumor. The Old Chapel was beloved by all in town. It was not just a place of worship, but it was a place where people came together, conducted business, and shared in feasts and festivals. When the town was founded, it was agreed upon by the settlers that the native Varisians of the area would have their holy sites kept sacred, and it was done. The burning of the Old Chapel was a painful experience for everyone. And Ezakien Tobyn was a friend to all. He was my mentor and never in my youth did I ever hear a soul utter a disparaging word to him. And his daughter Nualia was such a delight. Never have I seen a more beautiful girl. I can't imagine why anyone would wish the two of them harm. I apologize if I have not been of much help, but I must get back to preparing my homily for the festival tomorrow. And there is much other work to do besides."

With that, Father Abstalar begs your pardon and departs. The cathedral is open for all to see, but there are many acolytes and other workers putting up streamers and lights, setting up tables and chairs, and otherwise busying themselves with preparing the cathedral for its grand opening. You look about some, but by all appearances there has never even been a fire here. The carpenters and masons did excellent work in restoring and rebuilding. Talashia barely recognizes the place [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION]. It has changed so much over the years. And many of the nearby buildings, allegedly damaged in the fire as well, look to have been restored or rebuilt to look like new quite recently as well. You ask around at some of the other places nearby. You speak with a somber Shoanti named Garridan who owns the White Deer, the Kesks, who run the town jeweler shop, a woman named Risa who owns a tavern called Risa's Place, and the Rovanky Tannery, where you speak with Larz Rovanky. You even stop by to say hello to Veznutt at the Way North (much to Marcas' dismay, the old gnome says Karzoug the Destroyer is not for sale, though he does offer to show it to him in detail after the festival [MENTION=29558]Mowgli[/MENTION]). None of them seem to recall anything about anyone getting away from the Old Chapel before it burned down, though they are happy to regale you with stories of heroism of various townsfolk in putting the great blaze out and the town's misery at the loss of the high-priest and his daughter.

You decide to retire early that day. It seems many folk are too busy to give you much time anyway. And for once, you find the Rusty Dragon is fairly sparsely occupied, in the early evening that is. By late night, it is hopping with folks from all over town. In fact, there is barely room to move around with all of the out-of-towners mingled together with so many townsfolk. The festival mood has already taken to the air. You meet so many new faces you cannot possibly remember them all, but you receive many assurances that you will see them again tomorrow. There is much talk of games, feasts and more!

As dawn breaks on the next morn, it is difficult to believe, but many of the people who were up late celebrating last are already busy as beavers putting the last touches on the festival. As soon as you have gathered your things, making certain to prepare yourselves for anything as Marcas warned, you make your way to the town square for the welcoming speeches. The Swallowtail Festival begins promptly, as scheduled, on the Autumnal Equinox. The square before the church quickly becomes crowded as locals and travelers arrive, and several merchant tents featuring food, clothes, local crafts, and souvenirs are there to meet them.

The turnout for the opening speeches is quite respectable, and the four keynote speakers each deliver short but well-received welcomes to the festival. Mayor Deverin's friendly attitude and excitement prove contagious as she welcomes visitors to town and jokes about how even Larz Rovanky, the local tanner (and notorious workaholic) managed to tear himself away from the tannery to attend, much to everyone's amusement (except Larz's). Sheriff Belor Hemlock brings the crowd down a bit with his dour mood, his reminder to be safe around the evening's bonfire, and his request for a moment of silence to remember those who lost their lives in the fire that claimed the town's previous church several years ago. The next speaker is scheduled to be local nobleman Lonjiku Kaijitsu, but a sudden illness has prevented him from attending the ceremony (this isn't something that surprises the locals, as they gossip of Lonjiku's well-known dislike of frivolity and festivals). Sandpoint's town showman Cyrdak Drokkus is more than up to the challenge of bringing the crowd's mood back up with his rousing anecdotes. He delivers a not-completely-irreverent recap of the long process the town went through to finance and construct the new cathedral. He throws in a bit of self­ promotion at the end, as is his wont, inviting everyone to stop by the Sandpoint Theater the following evening to check out his new production of The Harpy's Curse, revealing that the lead role of Avisera the harpy queen will be played by none other than the famous Magnimarian diva Allishanda! Finally, Father Abstalar steps up to give a short speech thanking everyone for coming before declaring the Swallowtail Festival underway!

OOC: Things to do at the Swallowtail Festival
Numerous games and contests take place during the day before noon, including sack races, games of hide-and-seek, weight-lifting challenges, balance beam contests, and tug-of-war events. Your characters may participate in as many as you like. Make your rolls and feel free to narrate events as they happen, but wait until everyone has had a chance to post before narrating the results. Winners of these games generally win nothing more than bragging rights for the rest of the day, but for many of Sandpoint's residents, this is a fine prize indeed!
  • Sack Race: Roll a Dexterity check. You receive a -1 penalty if you Spd is less than 30 and a +1 bonus if your Spd is higher than 30. The scores of the other twelve competitors are listed below. As many PCs as are interested can participate.
    [sblock=Competitors]
    1d20 → [18] = (18) - Naffer Vosk, Boneyard groundskeeper
    1d20 → [17] = (17) - Arika Avertin, baker's daughter, twin sister of Anika
    1d20 → [15] = (15) - Tulin, a bouncer at Cracktooth's
    1d20 → [14] = (14) - Vonn Hammer, local mason
    1d20 → [13] = (13) - Katrine Vinder, General Store owner's daughter
    1d20 → [12] = (12) - Olmur Danvakus, halfling grocer
    1d20 → [11] = (11) - Anika Avertin, baker's daughter, twin sister of Arika
    1d20 → [11] = (11) - Bilivar Wheen, wheelwright
    1d20 → [11] = (11) - Tanya, courtesan at The Pixie's Kitten
    1d20 → [9] = (9) - Fayven Rock, local farmer
    1d20 → [6] = (6) - Ibor Thorn, miller
    1d20 → [4] = (4) - Turch Sterglus, retired fisherman[/sblock]
  • Hide and Seek: Roll a Perception check and a Stealth check and combine them. The scores of the other ten competitors are listed below. As many PCs as are interested can participate.
    [sblock=Competitors]
    2d20+1 → [18,9,1] = (28) - Anika Avertin, baker's daughter, twin sister of Arika
    2d20+1 → [8,13,1] = (22) - Kunar Sand, butcher's bastard son
    2d20+1 → [7,11,1] = (19) - Arika Avertin, baker's daughter, twin sister of Anika
    2d20+1 → [3,15,1] = (19) - Felsi, wench at the Rusty Dragon
    2d20+1 → [12,5,1] = (18) - Minsk Haladan, grandson of the owner of the Curious Goblin
    2d20+1 → [15,2,1] = (18) - Jormy Sand, bastard child of Kendra Deverin
    2d20+1 → [3,13,1] = (17) - Jurrie Botts, guard at the town jeweler
    2d20+1 → [6,7,1] = (14) - Lanalee Magravi, wench at Risa's Place
    2d20+1 → [6,2,1] = (9) - Turch Sterglus, retired fisherman
    2d20+1 → [2,5,1] = (8) - Katrine Vinder, General Store owner's daughter
    [/sblock]
  • Weight-Lifting: Roll a Strength check. The scores of the other twelve competitors are listed below. As many PCs as are interested can participate.
    [sblock=Competitors]

1d20+2 → [19,2] = (21) - Aesrick Battlehorn, dwarf carpenter
    1d20+2 → [19,2] = (21) - Das Korvut, Red Dog Smithy owner
    1d20+2 → [18,2] = (20) - Gilye, courtesan at The Pixie's Kitten
    1d20+2 → [18,2] = (20) - Savah Bevanky, armorer
    1d20+2 → [16,2] = (18) - Tulin, a bouncer at Cracktooth's
    1d20+2 → [13,2] = (15) - Banny Harker, miller
    1d20+2 → [12,2] = (14) - Anika Avertin, baker's daughter, twin sister of Arika
    1d20+2 → [11,2] = (13) - Jormy Sand, bastard child of Kendra Deverin
    1d20+2 → [9,2] = (11) - Bilivar Wheen, wheelwright
    1d20+2 → [8,2] = (10) - Ven Vinder, General Store owner
    1d20+2 → [6,2] = (8) - Julius Scarnetti, young son of Titus Scarnetti
    1d20+2 → [2,2] = (4) - Turch Sterglus, retired fisherman
    [/sblock]
  • Balance Beam: Roll an Acrobatics check. The scores of the other eight competitors are listed below. As many PCs as are interested can participate.
    [sblock=Competitors]
    1d20+4 → [20,4] = (24) - Jubrayl Vhiski, Feedbag regular
    1d20+4 → [18,4] = (22) - Arika Avertin, baker's daughter, twin sister of Anika
    1d20+4 → [16,4] = (20) - Garridan Viskalai, White Deer owner
    1d20+4 → [14,4] = (18) - Felsi, wench at the Rusty Dragon
    1d20+4 → [13,4] = (17) - Anika Avertin, baker's daughter, twin sister of Arika
    1d20+4 → [7,4] = (11) - Tanya, courtesan at The Pixie's Kitten
    1d20+4 → [2,4] = (6) - Passang, Foxglove's paymaster
    1d20+4 → [2,4] = (6) - Turch Sterglus, retired fisherman
    [/sblock]
  • Tug-of-War: Pick a team, A, B, C, or D (you should pick a team before looking at their scores). Then roll a Strength check and add it to the team roll. Teams must be even in number. If a PCs join teams and leave one or more of the teams short a member, a townsperson will join in on that team as the "kicker." Team A: Turch Sterglus, retired fisherman, Felsi, wench at the Rusty Dragon, Savah Bevanky, armorer, and Jormy Sand, bastard child of Mayor Kendra Deverin. Felsi encourages Vandalin to join her team, [MENTION=11520]Scotley[/MENTION]. Team B: Belven Valdemar, shipyard owner, Arika Avertin, baker's daughter, twin sister of Anika, Das Korvut, Red Dog Smithy owner, and Aritha Valdemar, Belven's daughter. Team C: Cracktooth, Cracktooth's Tavern owner, Jayden Hawk, local ranger, Tulin, a bouncer at Cracktooth's, and Markin Dale, local farmer. Team D: Tanya, courtesan at The Pixie's Kitten, Gilye, courtesan at The Pixie's Kitten, Lanalee Magravi, wench at Risa's Place, and Besk Magravi, dishwasher at Risa's Place.
    [sblock=Teams]
    5d20+4 → [13,2,17,20,14,4] = (56 or 70 w/kicker) - Team B
    5d20+4 → [18,13,16,5,13,4] = (56 or 69 w/kicker) - Team D
    5d20+4 → [2,9,13,9,17,4] = (37 or 54 w/kicker) - Team C
    5d20+4 → [3,1,7,3,12,4] = (18 or 30 w/kicker) - Team A
    [/sblock]

kinem

Adventurer
Duko brings Lax along to the festival, feeling that his friend would enjoy seeing such novelties. An impressive party he admits. He's never seen so many people in one place.

He tries his hand at the weight-lifting contest. Though strong, he is not used to having to balance the heavy log like this, and he drops it, earning himself a low score.

Seeing the tug-of-war, and wanting the chance to redeem himself, he naturally joins the team with the pretty ladies on it (D). "Hello. Could I tug with you?"

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Vhir moves about the town with a wide grin on his face at the sight of all of the activity, colors, and sounds. It reminds him of a grand gathering of the clans. He makes his way over to the competitions with the others and enters the first one that would seem to be a natural fit. When his turn comes up the broad shouldered shoanti grabs hold of the weights and grunts. Halfway up he realizes that he should have stretched better before attempting this feat of strength. His performance is lackluster at best compared to some of the locals. Shaking his head in disgust at himself, he moves over to join the tug of war contest.
He grins and nods approval at Duko's choice of a team and moves to another so as not to intrude on his comrades advances. He joins the B team, introduces himself to his teammates with crushing handshakes before taking up his length of rope. The muscles on his arms stand out as he plants his feet and gives a good showing of himself against his opponents.

rangerjohn

Explorer
Deivon introduces himself to Father Abner. "Well met Father,I am brother Deivon, servant of the Dawnflower." Then with a blush"I simply must pay more attention to my studies, but what is the significance of these stones?"

[sblock=OOC] I swear Deivon must be the worst student in history. He can't make a single knowledge check. Even with a +5 bonus on with relegous connotations. Knowledge, Local (Varasian) 13 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4316641/[/sblock]

When it comes time for the festival, with the visions he has seen he wishes to be prepared. How ever none have shown anyone in athletic activity, so he brings his armor in his backpack for after the contest. Wishing to ingraiiate himself into the community, he tries them all.

In the sack race he trips half way down the lane. By the time he recovers, the field has left him far behind. [sblock=Sack Race=7]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4316664/[/sblock]

Continuing his mediocre showing, Deivon lifts a paltry amount in the weight lift.
[sblock=Weight Lift=10]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4316669/[/sblock]

He does better at [sblock=Hide and Seek=41] Stealth check equals 18 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4316671/

Perception = 23 http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4316674/[/sblock]

Back to his usual antics he falls of the [sblock=balance beam=7]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4316675/[/sblock]

Finally, he joins team b in the [sblock=Tug of War=5]http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4316684/[/sblock] and falls flat on his behind.

The moral of the story? The gods do know what you are doing.....

After the antics of the afternoon, Deivon puts on his armor and joins his friends for food and drink, before the closing ceremony.

Last edited:

Remove ads