airwalkrr's Rise of the Runelords (IC)

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Glowing with sweat from the tug-o-war match, Vhir takes the time to congratulate all of the fine lady folk on team D who gave him quite a challenge. He spends the rest of the time at the festival enjoying sampling the many types of drinks and meats available to him. He can't get over how many people there are in town. The entire production puts him in a fine mood all the way up to the releasing of the butterflies. He nods his head in approval of the symbolic gesture, certain that their deity will be appeased.

Shayuri

First Post
"I should've known I'd find you here."

The voice was male, though not deep. Amused, maybe even a little sly. Talashia jumped and whirled around, prodded from her moment of somber reflection into one of overreaction.

Benin was there, tall and narrow of build; a far cry from his father's thick arms and beard, with his smirking grin and his green tunic and dark brown pants, holding his hands up like she had him covered with a crossbow. That grin made a mockery of it though. It made a mockery of everything.

"Easy there, cuz! I'm no ranchdog."

Talashia realized belatedly that her fingers were sparking. She grimaced and forced calm, finding her center again. Why had she startled so much just from a familiar voice? Stupid...she'd been caught in a vulnerable moment, and overreacted. She had to watch that. Another townsman might not be so jovial about the implicit threat.

"Sorry," she grumped, lowering her hands. "Didn't recognize your voice."

He grinned wider. "You're still a terrible liar, you know."

"What are you doing in town?" Talashia asked, trying to bludgeon the conversation off course to more favorable terrain. "Helping with the festival?"

Benin's grin faded a bit, and he sighed. "Actually, I live here now. We all do."

Her mouth fell open. "But...is everything all right?" She'd never expected them to come back to Sandpoint of all places. They'd been so desperate to get out!

"Oh yes, everything's great," Benin replied breezily, waving her incredulity off. "I'm not even being sarcastic. In case you haven't noticed, Sandpoint's been growing. They get ships coming in here now, you know. More ships means more cargo, and more cargo means more barrels... Father's had to hire two boys to help him out this past year." He studied her for a moment, then asked, "Did you get my present?"

"Your what?" Talashia asked dumbly, then realized what he was talking about. "Oh! Oh. Yes."

He had a gift for that, she remembered. Always keeping her off balance. Though they were cousins, they were near enough in age that their relationship had always been more like siblings. Until he and his family had moved up the coast north to one of the larger ports, where his father's trade as cooper would be more in demand.

Had she missed him? A complex question. Her life had been made easier without him around. No small amount of trouble she'd gotten into had had him at the center of it. But it did feel a little as if a bit of cloud had crossed over the sun as well...things had been a little colder and a little darker after that.

"Well?" he prodded.

Talashia stared, still catching up in her head. "Well...oh, the present." She fished the little brass disc with its butterfly filigree on the front out of her pouch. "It's pretty, I suppose. I can't read it though. Is it really father's?"

[sblock=OOC]Hehe, had to remind myself to stop. I was thinking Benin took the thing from Tala's dad as a keepsake when he left, having overheard that he wanted to send it away with Talashia when she finally left town. But of course, by then, it was gone. So now he's bringing it back to her...annnnnd kind of hoping she won't tell her dad, his uncle, about it all too. :) But if you have a different backstory in mind, go for it![/sblock]

Last edited:

airwalkrr

Adventurer
A sharp retort, like the crack of distant thunder, slices through the excited crowd as the sun's setting rays paint the western sky. A stray dog that has crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep starts awake, and the buzz of two dozen conversations, including Talashia's and Benin's, quickly hushes as all heads turn toward the central podium, where a beaming Father Zantus has taken the stage. He clears his throat, takes a breath to speak, and suddenly a woman's scream slices through the air. A few moments later, another scream rises, then another. Beyond them, a sudden surge of strange new voices rises­ high-pitched, tittering shrieks that sound not quite human. The crowd parts and something low to the ground races by, giggling with disturbing glee as the stray dog gives a pained yelp and then collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut open from ear to ear. As blood pools around its head, the raucous sound of a strange song begins, chanted from shrill, scratchy voices.

"Goblins chew and goblins bite,
Goblins cut and goblins fight,
Stab the dog and cut the horse,
Goblins eat and take by force!

Goblins race and goblins jump,
Goblins slash and goblins bump,
Burn the skin and mash the head,
Goblins here and you be dead!

Chase the baby, catch the pup,
Bonk the head to shut it up,
Bones be cracked and flesh be stewed,
We be goblins, you be food!"

Goblins have attacked Sandpoint in the middle of their sacred festival! Townsfolk are screaming and panicked. Some flee, only to turn and find more goblins in their way. Others are paralyzed with fear. Dogs bark, chickens cluck, pigs oink, sheep bleat, and cats hiss. The town is under attack!

It looks like Turch Sterglus' poor luck continues, as he has found himself directly in the path of ravenous goblins jumping out of a nearby wagon!

[sblock=Perception DC 12]You see that the shape that raced by and killed the dog now hides at the wagon's edge-a single goblin, licking the blood from its dogslicer as it looks excitedly at the crowd, seeking out a new target.[/sblock]
OOC: COMBAT!
Ditzie Link: http://beta.ditzie.com/48118/52a6c36c3000c
A brief refresher on ditzie. Look for the last post with an update to the map. It will include a link to the latest ditzie map. Move your character token and the token of any companions/familiars whenever you take your turn, then hit Enter. This will save the page and change the URL. Copy and paste the new URL at the end of your post for your actions. If you are not moving during your turn, then there is no need to change the map. Simply note you are not moving.

• PC initiatives have been averaged along with the monsters and already rolled. PCs take their turns together. When the PCs' turn is up, post your actions as soon as you are ready. After all PCs have acted, I will describe the actions of the NPCs and monsters.
  • Townsfolk and other animals (like livestock) go at the end of the round, but most them are paralyzed with fear. You can encourage a group of townsfolk in a 2x2 area to move on your turn with a DC 10 Diplomacy check as a full-round action, although they are hesitant and afraid and will only move 3 squares in any direction. For each 5 full points by which you exceed the DC, you may include townsfolk in one adjacent 2x2 area (e.g. if you roll a 25, you may move townsfolk within a 4x4 area). Animals can be moved in similar fashion with a DC 10 Handle Animal or Animal Empathy check.
  • You may freely move through squares occupied by townsfolk (but not animals, which must be moved via Handle Animal or bull-rushed; assume DC 11), though you may not end your turn in a townsfolk square.
  • While most of the townsfolk are generic, a few are individuals you have already interacted with. If you feel like exploring, hover over the names of the townsfolk, or look for unique icons to see who is who. (Although I didn't give him a unique token, Benin is the townsfolk adjacent to Talashia.)
  • Hopefully the goblins and the PCs are distinct enough on the map from the townsfolk. If not, hover over the icon and diztie will display the name. I spent a lot of time trying to make this look pretty, yet functional. I hope you enjoy it!

Initiative
19 - PCs
15 - Goblins
0 - Townsfolk

HP & Conditions
(X/Y, where X = damage taken and Y = hp total)
Goblin 1 - 0/?
Goblin 2 - 0/?
Goblin 3 - 0/?
Devion - 0/12
Duko - 0/9
-Lax - 0/9
Marcus - 0/9
Talashia - 0/7
Vandalin - 0/9
Vhir - 0/13

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[section]

After an instant of near panic, Marcus realizes he's got his bow in hand and the Zen calm of his training settles over him like a mantle of peace. He draws and knocks, and sends an arrow flying to the single goblin in his view. That arrow is followed by a second before the first has even reached it's mark.

Both missiles fly true, threading the townsfolk between Marcas and his targets flawlessly and slamming into the hapless Goblin with meaty thunks.​
[/section]

[sblock=Actions]
The map is excellent, airwalkrr! I'm a HUGE fan of a good map, and love to make 'em look pretty as well. One thing we could use are coordinates.

Forgot Point Blank Shot when I made the original rolls. I edited to numbers above manually so that they reflect the +1 bonus to Attack/Damage - that's why they look different from the rolls in IC.

In this case, Marcas' target is the northernmost goblin in the cluster of three - the only one at which he's got a clear shot, I think.

Map: No Change[/sblock]
AC: 14 (14 Touch, 11 Flat-Footed)
HP: 09/09
Senses: Perception +7
CMB: +02 CMD: 16
Fort: +03 Reflex: +05 Will: +04
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
The chanting voices immediately had Talashia's hackles up, but her heart stopped for a beat when the little monsters tromped merrily into town like they owned it. The guards! Where are the guards?! flickered across her mind, but Benin's presence beside her galvanized the shock and fear into something else.

And somewhere out there, her parents were probably either arriving, or maybe even already here. Three goblins...no, there were more. They'd never do this with just three.

"Stay behind me," she instructed Benin tightly. Inside her the vortex of magic churned and raged, swirling endlessly like the base of a funnel cloud. Talashia's voice sounded distant in her own ears. Could anyone hear her over the gathering thunder? "You'll be safe there."

"Cuz, we have to GO!" Benin shouted over the crowd. "Trust me, I'm no safer from the goblins here than right next to them!"

"Not from the goblins," she said. Her voice was toneless...iron control of a barely containable fury. Wind rose around her, lifting her long white hair up around her head. "From me."

Talashia lifted her hands, and spoke two words...words that through long practice and conditioning created a channel in her mind. A safe passage to tap into that maelstrom within herself. A blaze of sparks radiated from her fingers and coalesced into a sharp, blue jag of pure magical energy that hovered between her palms for a moment...then snapped forward with a loud CRACK, zigzagging effortlessly through the crowd, up and over the wagon, and into the goblin on the far right side!

[sblock=Action]Magic Missile! A lousy 2 damage, but it's crowd-friendly at least. :) http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/4328565/ [/sblock]

Scotley

Hero
Seeing the danger to the townsfolk, Vandalin grabs his blades and shouts "everyone fall back to the church." He emphasizes this by pointing his with his sword. Seeing he is being ignored in the shock, chaos and panic of the sudden attack, Vandalin decides to act. He moves, cloak flapping behind him, to block the Goblins from the bulk of the crowd. "You're not welcome here," he shouts at the Goblins in hopes of drawing them to himself rather than unarmed folk.

[sblock=New Map]http://beta.ditzie.com/48118/52a74e89c9573[/sblock]

[sblock=Rolls]Perception (1d20+5=21)
Diplomacy (1d20+1=6)[/sblock]

airwalkrr

Adventurer
After an instant of near panic, Marcus realizes he's got his bow in hand and the Zen calm of his training settles over him like a mantle of peace. He draws and knocks, and sends an arrow flying to the single goblin in his view. That arrow is followed by a second before the first has even reached it's mark.

Both missiles fly true, threading the townsfolk between Marcas and his targets flawlessly and slamming into the hapless Goblin with meaty thunks.
Marcus fells the goblin with his first arrow and plugs another into it before he even realizes the creature is out for the count.
Talashia lifted her hands, and spoke two words...words that through long practice and conditioning created a channel in her mind. A safe passage to tap into that maelstrom within herself. A blaze of sparks radiated from her fingers and coalesced into a sharp, blue jag of pure magical energy that hovered between her palms for a moment...then snapped forward with a loud CRACK, zigzagging effortlessly through the crowd, up and over the wagon, and into the goblin on the far right side!
The goblin grunts at the impact, then begins to giggle with glee, as if the magic missile only tickled him.

Deivon moves to attack the nearest goblin.[sblock= to Airwalkr]Any idea what happened to my character sheet? It missing my equipment, feats
and traits.[/sblock]
By the time Devion reaches the goblin, it is lying face down in the ground, two of Marcus' arrows poking out of it. Since he can move no further, without overexerting himself, he gives the downed goblin a good cut to make sure it is good and dead.
OOC: Hopefully this is within the spirit of Devion's actions. I applied a single hit with a scimitar to the goblin. As for your character sheet, my best guess is that it has something to do with the format changes in OP since the update. I've noticed the old character sheets are behaving strangely in some cases. *sigh* The price of "progress" I suppose. It might be good to keep a simple character sheet backup on the wiki or on your computer. I apologize to everyone for the poor behavior of OP. It hasn't been working out as well for character sheets as it was intended.
Seeing the danger to the townsfolk, Vandalin grabs his blades and shouts "everyone fall back to the church." He emphasizes this by pointing his with his sword. Seeing he is being ignored in the shock, chaos and panic of the sudden attack, Vandalin decides to act. He moves, cloak flapping behind him, to block the Goblins from the bulk of the crowd. "You're not welcome here," he shouts at the Goblins in hopes of drawing them to himself rather than unarmed folk.
The two remaining goblins in your immediate vicinity cackle with insane glee. One licks his dogslicer, while the other gets a hungry look in his eyes.

OOC: HP & Conditions
Goblin 1 - 17/? DEAD!
Goblin 2 - 2/?
Goblin 3 - 0/?
Devion - 0/12
Duko - 0/9
-Lax - 0/9
Marcus - 0/9
Talashia - 0/7
Vandalin - 0/9
Vhir - 0/13
[MENTION=30016]SelcSilverhand[/MENTION] Vhir is up
[MENTION=24234]kinem[/MENTION] Duko is up

Map: http://beta.ditzie.com/48118/52a7ac4787b11
I'll be sure to include coordinates on the next map.
[sblock=DM's eyes only]Naughty!
Goblin 1 - 17/4 @ -13 DEAD!
Goblin 2 - 2/9 @ 7
Goblin 3 - 0/3 @ 3
[/sblock]

SelcSilverhand

First Post
Vhir gawks for a moment as the townsfolk surge around him in a panic. What is this, some new event? Then he sees the beasts dashing through the crowd. He realizes abruptly that whatever is happening is not part of the townsfolk's ceremony. With the ease of long practice he unshoulders his massive hammer, squares his shoulders, and bellows a terrifying warcry. His boots dig into the ground as he launches forward at a sprint. People scramble out of his path as he hurtles forward. He pushes past both Devion and Marcus with his eyes set firmly on his enemies. He hurdles the first downed foe and prepares to swing at the ugly little beasts when disaster strikes. His back foot tangles itself in the corpse of their comrade and fouls his aim. His hammer swings low and digs into the ground sending up a shower of dirt and debris. His reckless assault has left him vulnerable to a return attack!

OOC
[SBLOCK]
Ditzie Map
Vhir Cleave attack and damage (1d20+4=5, 1d20+4=18, 2d6+4=7, 2d6+4=14)
Missed on my first attack of the cleave, so the other is out too. -2 AC until his next turn for using cleave.
For Perception he got a 10
[/SBLOCK]

kinem

Adventurer
Goblins! Here?!? Better than giants, at least ...

"Let's get 'em, Lax!"

Duko immediately draws his greataxe; however, he is not yet skilled enough in the arts of combat to do so while walking. He then makes his way to the foes, stopping over the dead goblin.

Meanwhile, Lax follows a parallel course, circling around to the other side, flanking one of the little monsters with Duko.

new map

ooc: Neither Duko nor Lax can attack this round, unless for some reason Duko could already have had his axe drawn.

Remove ads