(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 2

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
OOC: @JustinCase did say this recently, "Also, a REMINDER to everyone that Duvrael can use his reaction to make anyone (friend or foe) use a Portent roll (a 4 and a 17) instead of rolling a d20. Feel free to use that in a post!" so he was prepared to use it. The 17 was used, but I believe the 4 would still be available.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Would silvery barbs work? If so, Gimlak casts it.
OOC: Not with the door closed. I am 100% sure that the plan would be to open the door after the guard was held and not before.

REMINDER to everyone that Duvrael can use his reaction to make anyone (friend or foe) use a Portent roll (a 4 and a 17)
OOC: Yeah, okay. I'll take that reminder to include himself. It's an important roll - the last thing you wanna do is "waste" a level 5 spell slot on a successful save. Portents are used up! I'll be back with a description ASAP.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
A plan was made, whispered in the dark, damp night air in the steading courtyard. It hinged on Duvrael, and the wizard was determined to show his superior skills. He sent his snake through the same hole in the door that he had sent his floating eye. The eye had been invisible, but the snake was not. The hill giant guard noticed it, but was slow to react.

As the giant hefted his club, intent on bashing the serpentine intruder, Duvrael cast his spell. The giant resisted in just the way Duvrael had predicted it would, and the wizard's spell twisted at just the right moment, slipping through the giant's meagre will. The giant stiffened and dropped his club, which landed on the floor without making a sound. For the Colonel had asked the night air to carry all sound away - out the door and up into the sky, where only the clouds could hear it.

Duvrael nodded and Kaligan heaved the great doors open. The doors were designed to be barred, but they had not used it: the oaken cross-bar hung from a ring on the wall to the right.

The door had opened silently and the guard stood immobilized. A great room stood before them with a low-burning fire in a vast fireplace. Braziers hung from the blackened rafters, but only a few held burning coals.

The room was very nearly dark, but movement in the light of the fireplace showed a young male hill-giant, pissing into a chamber pot. Around him were a dozen beds, occupied by what could only be more young hill giants.

OOC: I'm going to move into combat rounds, just so we move forward in short individual turns.

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
GM: Encounter: Steading East Wing
G2EastWing1.jpg

(General Features) Difficult Terrain: Beds; Visibility: Very Dim (Low Braziers); Cover: Walls; Spells: Silence (Blue circle);
Name * AC * HP * Hit Dice * PasPrc * Spells (Etc) * (Notes)
(PCs)
Colonel AC19* HP 34/66 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP19* SSdc18 3/4 1/3 3/3 3/3 1/1 CD 2/2
Doc AC14 HP 83/84 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP20 SSdc16 1/2 Wls 2/4 Crs 1/1 PL 4/4 Wsp 1/1
Duvrael AC12(15) HP 44/56 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP15* SSdc17 2/4 1/3 3/3 2/3 0/1
Gimlak AC17 HP 68/68 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP12* SSdc17 4/4 2/3 3/3 2/3 1/1 SP 8/12
Kahru AC15 HP 83/83 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP16 SSdc14 4/4 3/3 2/3 WS 1/2 Rg 3/3 Stf 5/7
-Kahru-Bear AC12 HP 42/42
Kaligan AC18* HP 76/76 THP 13/13 HD 9/9 PP14 PD 8/8 DT 1/1 TK 1/1 AS 1/1 2W 1/1 ID 1/1
(NPCs)
Donnell AC19* HP29/29 THP 0/13 HD 4/4 AS 1/1 2W 0/1
Hiss AC13 HP 2/2 PP10* ts10'
Orcs AC11 HP15ea PP10*
-Orc1 15/15; Orc2 HP 15/15
Name * AC * HP * PP * (Notes)
(BGs)
Hill Giant (Guard) AC13 HP 105/105 PP12 (Held)
Young Hill Giant AC12 HP42ea PP10
GM: Begin Round One

OOC: A few notes: I put some x's on the map to remind you that you can't see those two hallways. I also put some red scribbles to let you know that those are heavy curtains that cover doors that may or may not have more giants in those rooms. Double check your stat bar for accuracy!

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Concentrating on the spell that holds the hill giant guard fast, Duvrael peers into the dark room. He opens his mouth to warn the others, but no sounds come out.

Of course. The magical silence.

Instead, he places his finger to his lips and makes eye contact with each ally in turn. Then the yuan ti wizard turns and moves towards the frozen giant. Standing on his toes, Duvrael looks into the brute's eyes, not saying a word (not that he could) but clearly indicating that the giant's current situation is his doing. Since the spell prevents even blinking, it cannot miss the wizard's tongue, split like a snake, as it licks at the air in front of him, and disappearing almost instantly.

Duvrael grins, certain that he has made an impression.

OOC: I was certainly planning on using the Portent for the Hold Monster save! :)

Attempting to Intimidate the held giant:
1D20 = [20] = 20 :D

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Silence
Pulling his great sword, Kahru readied himself to push through the silent door intending to plunge his blade in to the frazzled giants spine. His attack though was stayed by the wizards hush and with a frown the barbarian paused, allowing Duvrael to enact his own plan - was the little wizard trying to intimidate a giant?!

Kahru felt his muscles tense, ready to move if Duvraels plan failed…

OOC: Held ready action, will wait to see what happems with Duvraels intimidation attempt.
iirc Attack is with advantage and hits auto-critical?
Great Sword to the Spine: 1D20+7 = [9]+7 = 16

Last edited:

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Though the giant guard could not move to show any reaction, Duvrael could see fear in his eyes. Of course, fear of (and even respect for) one's enemy did not mean compliance, and the giant struggled to regain his freedom.

OOC: Not successfully, though. Yes, Kahru can auto-crit if he wants. As can anyone else. You'll make no sound, but it's possible you'll be seen. There is one young giant awake and in line-of-sight. He just hasn't noticed you yet.

Giant's Hold saveSave: 1D20-1 = [13]-1 = 12 Nope.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Kalagin seeing the danger that the young giant poses, focuses his will and all the telekinetic energy he can muster on the young giant and attempts to lift it into the air and pull it back to the where the group's warriors are waiting.

OOC: I am using my psionic Telekinesis spell and attempting to lift the giant and move him to us. It's an opposed roll vs. his strength. Hopefully being young he's not as strong as an adult. Telekinesis: 1D20+4 = [9]+4 = 13

Remove ads