• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
for 40 feet of movement, have me end up in the square just south of Phar, as Phar is heading north to aid with the Xander search.

Quinn has no further action at this time, but maybe the cultist will try and challenge the Justice of the Piece(s)?
So, is Quinn still going east? Or are you going to have him go north with Phar?

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Saves vs. Fireball Spell
Aureus - Reflex save: 1D20+15 = [6]+15 = 21 (saves, no damage due to Evasion)
Brutus - Reflex save: 1D20+8 = [8]+8 = 16 (saves, half-damage)
Phar - Reflex save: 1D20+9 = [20]+9 = 29 +2 = 31 (saves, half-damage)

@Neurotic, roll a Reflex save for Maur. The Recitation spell gives a +2.

Now, I seem to remember that the last time Phar cast a fireball spell, I chose to have it expand the old way it used to work pre-3E. That is is expands to fill the available space. That's the way I've always assumed it is supposed to work.

However, since then, I've discovered that's not the way it is supposed to work in 3E and beyond. That a fireball spell isn't supposed to fill into the available space around it. That it is only supposed to spread out the max. of 20 feet from the impact point and that's it. Yes, it fills all the space within that spread but no farther.

Now, I feel I should still do it the old school way. That's the way I prefer it work. Fireball and other spread spells are dangerous things and casting them in tight quarters is risky.

My question is, what would you guys prefer going forward after this fight? Old school or new school?

If we go old school, then not only will Xander have to make a save, which is what I was planning for anyway, but so will Timmins, Wieland, Meridith, the two cultists, and one of the black bears. I think the black bear at the far end of the western corridor is too far away for the fireball to hit it.

I'm rolling the saves, have already added my post, and then we can discuss it.

Meridith - Reflex save: 1D20+9 = [13]+9 = 22 (saves, half damage)
Timmins - Reflex save: 1D20+6 = [12]+6 = 18 (saves, half damage)
Wieland - Reflex save: 1D20+5 = [7]+5 = 12 (failed, full damage)
---
Black Bear - Reflex save: 1D20+6 = [3]+6 = 9 (failed, full damage, summoned bear disappears)
---
Aries Zeidan - Reflex save: 1D20+6 = [19]+6 = 25 (saves, no damage due to Evasion)
Eike - Reflex save: 1D20+2 = [3]+2 = 5 (fails, full damage)
Xander - Reflex save: 1D20+6 = [17]+6 = 23 (saves, no damage due to Evasion)

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Round 16
Black Bears (summoned): 21
Black Bears (summoned): 21 (runs from flames)
Caerth: 21
Cultist #1: 19 (flees through other door)
Brutus: 13 (will charge)
Aries Zeidan: 13
Cultist (Eike): 13 (runs in fear this round)
Aureus: 11 (full attack vs. Xander, two hits)
Timmins: 10
Ghoul Guards [x2] [vs. Angus & Caerth]: 9
Wieland: 7
Angus: 6 ⬅️
Phar: 5

Cultist: 5
Maur: 4
Quinn: 4

Meridith: 2
Xander (duergar): 2 (Maur is his Dodge enemy)

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Okay, so the fireball spell got rid of one of the bears. Since Caerth isn't around to order the other bear, it runs away from the sight of so much fire. Both the cultist named Eike and Wieland are on fire. The cultist, Eike, tries to run through Meridith (an Overrun) and she gets out of his way. Timmins will not attack the burning cultist as he will help Meridith try to put out the flames burning Wieland.

Maur is Xander's Dodge Enemy.

@Neurotic, Maur can use an Immediate action to Intimidate Brutus into not attacking or, at least, waiting until Maur charges forward.

Brutus - Level Check: 1D20+7 = [2]+7 = 9 :LOL:

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Revised northern section of the battle map for the End of Round 15...
Corridor Fight -  End of Round 15.png

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I'm fine either way with fireball, in this case, if it will damage the duergar I say old school (but take into account I don't know what that means :) ) - I mean the rules of the fireball spreading further. It was 20' from the impact even in AD&D...

Also, fine with the attacks, but I thought half-ogre is blocking the other passage, otherwise I would move behind him (at the place where the fireball exploded and attack north...which it seems would have a chance to catch him (but is irrelevant now except in that it would put me closer to the wizard)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I'm fine either way with fireball, in this case, if it will damage the duergar I say old school (but take into account I don't know what that means :) ) - I mean the rules of the fireball spreading further. It was 20' from the impact even in AD&D...
Except Xander made his save and he has Evasion.

It was after reading this article that I decided I needed to figure out how we're going to have fireball work.

A Deep Dive into the Fireball

Remove ads