• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [OOC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Round Twelve
Eutharic (demon familiar): 27 (paralyzed with fear for 5 more rounds)
Caerth (dire bat form): 22 (breaks grapple; casts snake's swiftness)
Screech: 22 (paralyzed)
Bleak Eagle: 21 (flees at 4 times it movement rate)
Owlbear Skeleton (summoned) [link]: 21 (attacks Angus [misses])
Crisenth: 21 (uses wand on Phre; moves and readies javelin)
Aureus: 20 (killed by Omen's death touch)
Celestial Giant Eagle (summoned): 20 (flies and attacks Phre [hits])
Small Fire Elemental (summoned): 20 [new combatant] (attacks mummy [misses])
Phar: 20 (casts light)
Senior Acolyte of Malotoch (Omen): 20
Mummy (summoned): 19
Tarrak: 19

Tough Rook: 18 (paralyzed with fear for 2 more round)
Monstrous Ghast (Phre): 17 ⬅️
Lady Pendour: 15 (sickened) ⬅️
Galzadar the Fallen: 13 (paralyzed with fear for 5 more rounds)
Quinn: 12
Maur: 12

Wieland: 12 (sickened; near death; paralyzed with fear for 2 more rounds)
Ailward Stepney (cohort): 12
Acolyte Zombies [x12]: 12 (motionless)
Acolyte Zombies [x3]: 12 (motionless)
Henry Hawtrey (wild. rogue): 11 (paralyzed with fear for 2 more rounds)
Sir Ghal: 11 (hurt badly)
Temperance Redding (fighter): 8 (comatose; sickened)
Thorvid (male dwarf fighter): 4 (sickened/paralyzed with fear for 2 more rounds)
Bothild (female dwarf fighter): 4 (near death/paralyzed with fear for 2 more rounds)
Elle Redding (cleric): 3
Scarborax (sorcerer): 3
Angus: 3 (sickened)
Annabel Ufford (militia fighter): 2 (unconscious/dying)
Tristan (militia): 1 (sickened/paralyzed with fear for 5 more rounds)

With the light from Cruel Justice now over near Tarrak, the rest of the cave is shrouded in darkness except for the light from Caerth's flaming sphere spell, which is equivalent to a torch (20-ft. bright illumination and 20-ft. shadowy illumination beyond the light). The humans (besides Quinn, of course) and Elle have a 50% miss chance to hit in the darkness until more light is lit.

Bothild, Henry, Thorvid, Wieland, and the tough rook are all paralyzed with fear for two more rounds. Eutharic, Galzadar, and Tristan are all paralyzed with fear for 5 more rounds.

EDIT: Annabel loses another hp this round.

@JustinCase, you're up!

I'll post an updated battle map in a little while.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Updated battle map for Round Eleven!

Note that Angus and the Small Fire Elemental are flanking the mummy starting on the elemental's turn. Quinn and Maur are now flanking Tarrak.

Battle Against the Undead Horde_Round 12.png

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Question: How are you guys finding this fight? Part of me feels like I might be holding back a bit because I don't want to end up with a TPK.

EDIT: Anyway, heading to bed.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
I think that our current predicament is a combination of several things:

1. Party composition; not enough base classes.
2. Bad rolls.
3. Lack of sufficient healing ability on our part.
4. More than sufficient healing ability on their part.
5. They have a lot of high-level summons (Wolf Troll, Mummy, etc.)
6. Outside the core party, our reinforcements are 1st and 2nd level NPCs without sufficient power to hang with the big boys.
7. They have so many de-buffs, it's hard to hurt them.

HOWEVER, having said all of this, we've still managed to hold on. A true testament to how well-developed these characters are.

I am enjoying the fight so far; to me it didn't seem like you were holding back... are you saying that you were? 😮

MY POINT OF VIEW: Even if we die, I'd rather succeed or fail on my own merits. Leniency cheapens the victory. 😎

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
I think that our current predicament is a combination of several things:

1. Party composition; not enough base classes.
2. Bad rolls.
3. Lack of sufficient healing ability on our part.
4. More than sufficient healing ability on their part.
5. They have a lot of high-level summons (Wolf Troll, Mummy, etc.)
6. Outside the core party, our reinforcements are 1st and 2nd level NPCs without sufficient power to hang with the big boys.
7. They have so many de-buffs, it's hard to hurt them.
Those are all good points, especially the third one. I thought you guys had prepared more healing spells. Dispel magic as well.

BTW, for point #5, the wolf troll was not a summons. It was a unique creature I designed to be very nasty.

Regarding #6, the reinforcements were designed based on the demographics section in the DMG. I even went a little higher for a few of the NPCs. Besides Sir Ghal, Henry and Lady Pendour are really the toughest allies the PCs have right now. I probably should have had Brutus be with the PCs, but even if he had been, he wouldn't have survived the cloudkill spell.

Tellerian Hawke said:
HOWEVER, having said all of this, we've still managed to hold on. A true testament to how well-developed these characters are.

I am enjoying the fight so far; to me it didn't seem like you were holding back... are you saying that you were? 😮

MY POINT OF VIEW: Even if we die, I'd rather succeed or fail on my own merits. Leniency cheapens the victory. 😎
Okay, I wouldn't go so far as to say I've been being lenient on you guys. I'm using a lot of the bad guys resources and, yes, they knew you were coming.

I sure hope you weren't holding back! I am getting concerned that weza gunna die!
If I've been holding back, it has probably been more subconsciously than consciously. It's not like I'm looking at their abilities and saying, 'ooh, I better not use that one'... otherwise I wouldn't have had Galzadar cast cloudkill or have Tarrak summon the mummy. However, for the cloudkill, I did place so that it wouldn't hit Angus.

ScottDeWar_jr said:
Also, the fire elemental would produce light, I am thinking.
Yes, right, good point.

Also, don't forget that @Scotley's PC, Phar, still has the staff of defense. There is no reason that says he can't use it again. There are also the other items given to the PCs by Lady Pendour. Phar has the scroll [CL5] with with magic circle against chaos and slow on it. (Aureus gave those to him and they don't have to be identified.)

@Neurotic,
I'm assuming that Maur has the two divine scrolls -- one with magic weapon on it [CL5] and one with mass cat's grace, symbol of stunning, and cloak of chaos on it [CL 15]. (They also don't need to be identified.) Did you already use the potion of eagle's splendor? The mass cat's grace should probably get cast, soon, if possible.

I think Aureus has the potion of barkskin +2, but I can't remember if I used it already. I'll check her stats later.

Henry has the +2 heavy crossbow, but he's paralyzed with fear right now.

Wieland is wearing the goggles of night but he's also paralyzed.

Who has the ring of mind shielding?

There is also a potion of delay poison, but I don't know who claimed it. And I'm not sure if you'll need it. Probably not.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads