• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Night's Embrace: Part 1--A Touch of Darkness

Rystil Arden

First Post
*The group approaches the gates to the city, entering through as the guards wave them past and into the city. Numerous paths spread out across the city's districts, coiled around the Old City in the centre.*

(OOC: You may want to Gather Info or Knowledge Local about certain things, like the city layout, etc. Let me know :))

jkason

First Post
Titus Farrab, human ranger

Rystil Arden said:
*The group approaches the gates to the city, entering through as the guards wave them past and into the city. Numerous paths spread out across the city's districts, coiled around the Old City in the centre.*

(OOC: You may want to Gather Info or Knowledge Local about certain things, like the city layout, etc. Let me know :))

Titus, having been generally gruff throughout the trip, actually seems to light up a little once they enter the city.

"Well, we're here to find out about a coronation, right?" he says, turning to Kel. "I know this isn't your city, short round, but you seem to be the best of us at navigating city living. Should we just grab a guard and ask where the local archives are, or do you think you can finagle something from the locals first?"

Shayuri

First Post
"I suggest we find decent lodgings as well," Sulannus suggests. "And possibly find out if there are opportunities to add to our funds? Those gems can't last forever."

Boddynock

First Post
Kel nods to the others and says, "I'll meet you at that square over there in around three hours."

"Here, take this." He digs 10 gp out of his pouch, looks at the group, hesitates, then takes out another 10 gold, and hands it to Shan. "You might need it."

He heads off in the direction of the Old City, then turns back and says, "And try not to get into any trouble while I'm gone, all right?"

As he wanders along, keeping an eye open for anything relevant to his quest, he wracks his brain to dredge up any details he may have heard in the past about the city.

OOC:
Knowledge (Local) +7 re the following: layout of the city; names of powerful characters in the city; famous inns; any local laws which might be relevant; the authority structures (City Watch, Magistrates, vigilantes ... whatever). If he doesn't come up with anything, he'll ask a merchant he sees - they're at least likely to be half-way honest - to recommend a reasonable inn, then go there and try Gather Information checks (+3), including information about an upcoming coronation.

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
[SBLOCK=Kel]*Kel wracks his brain for stories of the fabled capital, trying his best to sort fact from fiction. There should be two sets of guards here, the Town Guard and the Royal Guards, plus also possibly soldiers from the army. He can't remember any names, but the high priestess of Siamorphe is pretty important, as is the head of the Academy, though the Academy here pales in comparison to what they have in the western kingdom of Thuldyria. There's a fairly famous dwarven smith supposedly too, a grizzled veteran in the Trade District, but his name also escapes Kel. Obviously, Kel knows the names of King Aldin and Princess Elenia (but he fails on the Queen's name--oops!). There aren't really any super-famous inns, at least in any of the stories Kel heard.*

(OOC: I rolled once for each thing he was looking for, so he got a hodgepodge with some holes where there were bad rolls)

*Kel heads in towards the centre of the old city and passes by a high and ornate inner wall as he attempts to head towards a part of town where he thinks he might be able to find a merchant to explain things, looking for contacts to gather information. He passes by a nice-looking girl in a dark traveler's cloak and hood, and she looks like she knows, so he asks.*

"Oh, hi there, I'm Aileen," she greets him in a clear, kind voice, a pleasant voice, though not as musically-lyrical as Nhalia's, "I guess you're new to this town? It's an interesting place--you'd like to know the layout?"

"The city is arranged with the palace in the centre of the Old City, where many of the richest buildings of the nobility are located, as well as the Academy. Some of the more recent nobility and gentry also have homes in the Temple District, which contrary to its name, does not only have temples, though it does have them too, as well as a large theatre. The Trade District is next to the Temple District and features tradesmen, craftsmen, and other shops for buying personal orders, as well as simple inns for travelers. The Dock District is always a bustle of shipping and loading, but it also features rougher sorts of taverns and alehouses that cater to the off-duty seamen and longshoremen. Nestled between the Dock District and the Temple District is the Merchant's District, which houses merchant ventures and interests as well as festhalls and entertainment, plus all the best inns."

"Is that a good start? Can I help you find something in particular maybe?"

[/SBLOCK]

Shayuri

First Post
Having been standing a little apart from the others, Sulannus sidles up to everyone and speaks in a low voice while looking off down the street. Her cheeks have spots of red, betraying her worry and embarrassment.

"Should we meet any more of...my kind...it would be best perhaps if you did not call me by the name I've given you."

She keeps her back straight as a rod as she says this, and her chin elevated and does not make eye contact, as if lecturing a servant on ettiquette.

"In the presence of other Tel...of other elves, you may call me...Aliyas. Please."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads