• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (OOC) Vault of the Dracolich 5E (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
By the way... We are all still getting to know each other's playstyles, and I'm just learning DMing PBP, so it's a bit of a juggling act (and things will come together I am sure)... so a few things I think I should tell you about me as a DM...

I don't much like flavour text. So I tend to give information through NPCs. What I am saying is: The NPCs are a valuable resource. Talk to them.

Also - I am really, really open to input, (and thick-skinned) so if you have any OOC desires, complaints, suggestions, or whatever, feel free to post it here.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

tglassy

Adventurer
I've been DMing pbp games for a few months now, and from what I've learned is it's best to write it like a modern novel. By that, i mean only reveal what the characters know/see/hear/etc. I wouldn't pre-post insight checks, because it eliminates the need to make one. instead, either ask for a check, and only reveal things if they make a high enough check, or wait until someone asks to make a check. I use the sblock function to give specific people information, such as when one character is off on their own or can understand a language the others can't.

Just my thoughts. You can do it how you like, of course. Whatever's easier.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah, it was an idea that came to me, and I find it convenient, but I don't know how it's working out in practice. I'm used to just telling the table what one person notices, and that person either tells everyone, or keeps it to themselves, and the players play that the characters know or don't know, regardless of the player's knowledge. My point is I'm used to everyone knowing everything anyway.

I'm sure I'll develop some preferences over time, but I'm not even sure what my options are yet, far or less what I'd like best out of them.

I WILL say that I'm the kind of DM that expects PCs to feel competent, so it's pretty safe to volunteer checks. I will play low-results as partial successes as often as I will failures (depending on what you are trying to do). And in this case, I'd prefer not to have to ask for checks (I don't want to wait for the back-and-forth).

So... everyone feel free to volunteer checks, if you think it's AT ALL possible I will ask for one. I will play the results fairly, and hopefully, interestingly.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Gonna have to figure out why one Genasi is going and the rest are staying...

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Yeah, that was always going to be a thing! I think the idea is that the first "wave" is testing for a good way in. It's always a bit funny in D&D when you have to try to figure out why they don't just send an army. There are some good reasons here, but some might be poorly thought through (on the part of the writers, myself for trying to make excuses the writers didn't include, or on the part of the NPCs, or even the PCs. There's a lot going on here, in the minds of the characters, and they may not be making perfect decisions.)

They should argue about who's going to go, though. They are competitive, after all! And the ones that are left behind are going to worry. With reason, possibly.

Remove ads