Picard Season 4 Rumour

MarkB

Legend
Some of it is from anonymous sources, but it fits the evidence and makes more sense then tens of thousands swaying the decisions of Paramount, when these shows have MILLIONS of viewers, as well as fitting with things that have slipped out during various interviews indicting P3 was indeed planned as a Backdoor pilot.
Well, that's kind-of the point - these shows have millions of viewers, most of whom probably don't even know who Kurtzman is. So why would they bother going through all sorts of weird shenanigans just to win over the tiny portion of the potential viewership who'd be influenced by or even have the slightest awareness of such tactics?

You mentioned anonymous sources. Is that it?

No I also pointed to inconsistances on the subject of weather or not P3 was intended to be a back door pilot or not in interviews with key crew, including Terry himself in interviews. I mean it'd be hard to design a season as a back door pilot like they did without Kurtzman supporting the idea. In both Season P3 for STL and DIS2 for SNWs, so much of the series resources were directed towards setting a new series up. They did to a lesser extent do the same for Section 31 and SFA during the later 31st century seasons of Discovery, using episodes to set those shows up. Basically any show that wasn't apart of the intial first wave of shows promised (Discovery, Picard, Lower Decks, Prodigy all wave/phase 1 shows, SNWs, SFA Section 31, STL wave 2/phase 2 shows).

So it fits a broader pattern.

Ryujin

Legend
So I took the hit, as it's only 10 minutes long. It's just some guy's opinions, no evidence other than a vague 'my sources say that was always the plan'. That's it, pretty much.
Yeah, it was in my Youtube suggestions, a few days back, and I hadn't seen this thread then. He's doing a lot of blue skying. I commented on the click-baitiness of the title because that was what sucked me into it, in the first place.

Stalker0

Legend
Well, that's kind-of the point - these shows have millions of viewers, most of whom probably don't even know who Kurtzman is. So why would they bother going through all sorts of weird shenanigans just to win over the tiny portion of the potential viewership who'd be influenced by or even have the slightest awareness of such tactics?
So they stop sending hate mail probably

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
No I also pointed to inconsistances on the subject of weather or not P3 was intended to be a back door pilot or not in interviews with key crew, including Terry himself in interviews. I mean it'd be hard to design a season as a back door pilot like they did without Kurtzman supporting the idea. In both Season P3 for STL and DIS2 for SNWs, so much of the series resources were directed towards setting a new series up. They did to a lesser extent do the same for Section 31 and SFA during the later 31st century seasons of Discovery, using episodes to set those shows up. Basically any show that wasn't apart of the intial first wave of shows promised (Discovery, Picard, Lower Decks, Prodigy all wave/phase 1 shows, SNWs, SFA Section 31, STL wave 2/phase 2 shows).

So it fits a broader pattern.

It's ... very common for shows, especially genre shows, to be used as backdoor pilots to launch new shows. Usually, they are pretty cagey about it because a lot of time they end up not launching the new show for various reasons, and for that reason they prefer to keep it in the somewhat nebulous area.

See, e.g., numerous Arrowverse episodes that both launched successful spinoffs (like the Flash) and unsuccessful ones (Painkiller).

Heck, Ahsoka? Anyone?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Some of it is from anonymous sources, but it fits the evidence and makes more sense then tens of thousands swaying the decisions of Paramount

Star Trek is the original example of fan outcry getting shows made.

And I have zero memory of Paramount ever pretending that SNW wasn't going to be made. That sounds like revisionist history to support conspiracy theory.

Yes, they used DISCO as a way to pilot the idea, but that being a pilot was obvious and well-understood by the fans as soon as it aired. Because, let us be honest, there is no other reason for Burnham to be raised on Vulcan than to lead into that. The plans were obvious.

Remove ads