TSR The Full & Glorious History of NuTSR

Because the Saga of TSR3 has been ongoing for a while, with many landmarks, I thought I'd do a quick timeline for those who haven't had the time (or, frankly, inclination) to keep up with the whole palaver. As multiple entities refer to themselves as TSR, I will use the nomenclature (1), (2) etc. to distinguish them. However, all the companies below simply use the term "TSR". The principle...

Because the Saga of TSR3 has been ongoing for a while, with many landmarks, I thought I'd do a quick timeline for those who haven't had the time (or, frankly, inclination) to keep up with the whole palaver.

As multiple entities refer to themselves as TSR, I will use the nomenclature (1), (2) etc. to distinguish them. However, all the companies below simply use the term "TSR".

The principle people involved with this story are Ernie Gygax (one of Gary Gygax's children), Justin LaNasa (a tattooist, weapon designer, and briefly a politician who refers to himself as Sir Justin LaNasa*), Stephen Dinehart (co-creator of Giantlands with James Ward), and -- later -- Michael K. Hovermale, TSR3's PR officer.

Also linked to TSR3 is the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum in Lake Geneva, Wisconsin. Much of TSR3’s commercial business appears to be conducted via the museum.

65B1E080-EEE9-45DD-AC2C-C55BD9DB6104.jpeg

gencon.jpeg
  • Late June 2021. TSR3 embarks on an astonishing social media campaign where they tell people who don't like Gary Gygax not to play D&D, call a trans person on Twitter 'disgusting', thank the 'woke' because sales are up, insult Luke Gygax, and more. They also block or insult those who question them on Twitter.
  • Late June 2021. Various companies distance themselves from TSR3, including Gen Con, TSR2 (who rebrand themselves Solarian Games), GAMA, and various individuals such as Luke Gygax, Tim Kask, Jeff Dee, and more. TSR3 responds to being banned from Gen Con by claiming that they created the convention.
tsr_tweets.jpg
  • June 30th 2021. TSR3 blames the widespread pushback it is getting on WotC, accusing it of mounting a coordinated assault on them. In the same tweets they claim that they created the TTRPG business. Ernie Gygax and Stephen Dinehart then deactivate their Twitter accounts. Months later it transpires that this is the date they received a C&D from WotC regarding their use of their IP.
dineharttweet.png
dinebreakup.jpeg
concon.jpg
fr.jpeg
1639501994946.png
  • December 11th 2021. The president of the Gygax Memorial fund publicly declares that they were never consulted, and would refuse any donation from TSR3's crowdfunding campaign. TSR3 quietly removes the references to the GMF from the IndieGoGo page.
  • December 29th 2021. TSR3.5 refiles its lawsuit, this time in the correct jurisdiction. LaNasa and TSR ask for a trial by Jury.
lanasa.jpg
  • January 8th 2020. Wonderfiled[sic]'s Stephen Dinehart threatens to sue Twitter user David Flor for his negative review of Giantlands on the platform.
  • January 10th 2022. TSR3's Justin LaNasa sends TSR alumn Tim Kask a profane message, telling him to "Go suck Lukes/wotc/balls you f*****g coward" and accusing him of having been fired from TSR for stealing.
  • January 11th 2022. Michael K Hovermale claims that the first edition of TSR3's Star Frontiers: New Genesis game was released and has sold out. He says “It was a very small limited run released and sold on the DHSM [Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum] website. It is no longer available, and probably won’t be reprinted.” As yet, nobody has publicly revealed that they bought a copy.
  • January 14th 2022. Michael K. Hovermale resigns as TSR3's Chief Creative Officer and Public Relations Officer after 6 months in the position.
  • March 4th 2022. WotC strikes back with a lawsuit naming TSR, Justin LaNasa personally, and the Dungeon Hobby Shop museum. WotC seeks a judgement that TSR hand over all domains, take down all websites, pay treble damages and costs, hand over all stock and proceeds related to the trademarks, and more. TSR has 21 days to respond.
lawsuitwotctsr.png
  • March 22nd 2022. TSR gets an extension on that WoTC suit. Two waivers of service of summons granted to both Justin LaNasa and the Dungeon Hobby Shop Museum. He now has 60 days from March 4th to serve an answer or motion, or suffer default judgment.
  • March 26th 2022. TSR CON takes place at the same time as Gary Con. TSR claims " lol, actually we asked just about every one of the 800 people stopping by, TSR CON, and about 60% had no idea Gary con was going on, and we tried pushing them to go over and attend."
  • March 28th 2022. TSR3 posts images of 'rebound' copies of AD&D 1E books it is selling for $650 each.
  • May 17th 2022. Evidence emerges of Nazi connections via TSR3's Dave Johnson. Public Twitter posts include concentrated hateful imagery and messages over a long period of time.
  • May 17th 2022. DriveThruRPG removes all Dave Johnson Games titles from the platform.
  • May 17th 2022. A jury trial date is set for the TSR/WotC lawsuit for October 2023 (few suits like this actually make it to trial in the end).
Screen Shot 2022-01-14 at 10.10.12 AM.png

• July 19th 2022. A leaked version of a beta version of TSR's 'Star Frontiers: New Genesis' game emerges on the internet. The content includes racist and white-supremacist propaganda, including character races with ability caps based on ethnicity, and various homophobic and transphobic references. Justin LaNasa immediately threatened to sue blogger Eric Tenkar, who shared the information publicly ('Mario Real' is one of LaNasa's online pseudonyms). Various evidence points towards the document's genuine nature, including an accidentally revealed Google drive belonging to NuTSR.
  • July 22nd 2022. A video shows a Google Drive that appears to be owned by nuTSR, which contains a list of enemies of the company, usually with the word "WOKE" in caps being used as a pejorative.
FYDaZwYXkAsdjW0.jpeg

(screenshot courtesy of the @nohateingaming Twitter account)

• August 30th 2022. Wizard Tower Games announces that they have received a subpeona from WotC regarding TSR and Justin LaNasa. Former NuTSR employee Michaal K Hovermale confirms that he has also received a subpeona.
  • September 5th 2022. Justin LaNasa sends out customer data, including addresses and credit card numbers. LaNasa responds by publicly claiming the evidence is photoshopped and slandering those who revealed it as liars.
  • September 8th 2022. WoTC files an injunction to prevent LaNasa or his companies from “publishing, distributing, or otherwise making available Star Frontiers New Genesis or any iteration of the game using the Marks”.
  • June 8th 2023. NuTSR files for bankruptcy. The case between WotC and NuTSR is postponed until March 2024.

Have I missed anything important? I'll continue updating this as I remember things, or as people remind me of things!

To the best of my knowledge, TSR3 is not actually selling any type of gaming product.

*if anybody has any link to LaNasa's knighthood, please let me know!

Websites
Various websites have come and gone. I'll try to make some sense of it here so you know what site you're actually visiting!
  • TSR.com is the original TSR website. For a long time it redirected to WotC. The URL is no longer in use. (WotC)
  • TSRgames.com was TSR2 until summer 2021. The site is still running, although TSR2 is now called Solarian Games. (Jayson Elliot)
  • TSR.games was TSR3 until summer 2021. It now goes to Wonderfiled(sic)'s website. (Stephen Dinehart)
  • TSR-hobbies.com is TSR 3.5, launched summer 2021 by Justin LaNasa and Ernie Gygax. (Justin LaNasa)

Sacrosanct

Legend
Also, I'll add that you don't have to keep refining or putting out new content to protect IP. So what if the same material from 30 years ago is still being sold. It's the "still being sold" part that matters. If I write a book, I don't suddenly lose my ownership of the rights to it after a couple years if I don't re-write it. Especially if I'm still selling it. That would be silly.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Soooo.. they're not sure they're going to take any action, BUT will block/ban? That sounds suspiciously like action.

The wording isn't great, but, I think it means that they aren't going to block/ban folks who have done things in the past, in other venues, or for reasons of association. But, if you publicly support it in that space from this time on, you're toast.

By that, Ernie is okay, so long as he keeps his mouth shut going forward.

the Jester

Legend
Racism and deceptive marketing aside, NuTSR is well within their rights to snatch up trademarks that WotC let lapse.
Yeah, but they didn't let them lapse.
The Star Frontiers and TSR trademarks have long since expired because WotC let them languish. WotC doesn't have any right to claim them now, and putting up low quality scans on Drivethrurpg after telling the fansite to take down their remastered PDFs is a jerk move that shouldn't count toward maintaining the trademark anyway.
As I understand it, the fan site had a deal with WotC.

Hosting PDFs shouldn't count toward maintaining a trademark, otherwise you could maintain a trademark forever simply because an ebook you released two hundred years ago is still being sold even though you did nothing with the IP since.
They do count, though, and trademarks don't expire. It doesn't matter whether you like how a law works; that's how it works. I dislike plenty of laws. The thing to do is try to get them changed, not pretend that it works differently.
It's a really frustrating situation because both sides are in the wrong here.
They really aren't. One side is full of bigots who are trying to claim a bunch of IP that isn't theirs. The other side is saying, "Hey, that's not yours, and in fact it's ours, and in fact, you are making us look like a bunch of asshats by using our material to push bigoted material out. Knock that off."

WotC doesn't have any right to the trademark anymore and shouldn't be allowed to try re-registering until NuTSR's claim lapses, because they clearly didn't care about the IP before and still don't unless they get bad publicity over it.
Your opinion doesn't carry any legal weight here. Whether you like it or not, WotC has continually sold Star Frontiers and a bunch of other stuff bearing the marks in question on DriveThruRPG for, well, basically forever.
One of the most telling acts here is that Sasquatch LLC already snatched the Alternity trademark and published their own retroclone a few years ago (it got cancelled and Sasquatch is now MIA, but whatever). This angered many Alternity fans who thought the IP was coming back only to learn it wasn't. What did WotC do then? Absolutely nothing. They still haven't restored the Alternity PDFs they removed back in 2008 during their infamous hissy fit over piracy.
So what? That has nothing to do with this case. Perhaps Sasquatch didn't rise to the level where WotC noticed them. Perhaps they didn't care enough as long as Sasquatch wasn't making them look like a bunch of bigots. Perhaps Sasquatch went away because WotC sent them a C&D. I don't know, and it's not relevant to the case at hand.
Also, copyright law should be reformed. There are so many orphaned works being lost to posterity because it is illegal for anyone but the copyright owner to maintain them. This fate has befallen many of my favorite obscure RPG supplements like Grim Tales/Slavelords of Cydonia, Alternity, the paperback Hogshead edition of Puppetland, Aether & Flux, Starship Troopers RPG, and many more. If corpos don't care to preserve nor profit off their IPs, then they shouldn't be allowed to prevent others from doing so. That's a grotesque miscarriage of the original purpose of copyright: allow a creator to profit for a time off his labors, then let anyone else preserve and remix the work.
Oh, I agree with you here- but that doesn't make it so. Copyright law is a whole separate discussion that isn't really germane to what is actually going on here.
Anyway, if the judge rules in favor of WotC, then that would set a dangerous precedent for trademark by effectively allowing anyone to maintain a trademark forever.
You already can. Trademarks don't expire. I'm not sure how this is a "dangerous precedent" or who it's dangerous to, though.
They do this just by registering it, posting an ebook on Kindle Unlimited, and then forgetting about it for centuries. This would prevent anyone else from ever registering that trademark ever again, even if the person who registered it has been dead for centuries or the company went out of business centuries ago. This would create the novel problem of "orphaned trademarks," which is similar to the current problem under copyright law where there are countless "orphaned works" whose copyright is either untraceable or held by owners who are deceased, out of business, apathetic, or don't even know they own it. This would be a bad thing for commerce and pervert the original intent of trademark law.
The purpose of trademark law is to prevent someone from selling something similar to the trademarked product under the name you use and confusing the public. I'm not sure why you think this is bad. If Pepsi goes out of business, why should someone in the future be able to swoop up their logo and use it? Make your own brand. But maybe I'm missing something here.
Like, WotC is currently selling scans of the Amazing Engine RPG from the early 1990s. They haven't produced any books for it since the original printings and are almost certainly only selling the scans to reduce piracy. Do you think their behavior constitutes good faith maintaining of the Amazing Engine trademark, such that nobody else should ever be allowed to register it for as long as the PDFs are sold on Drivethru?
Yes. When the copyright expires, someone else can go ahead and strip out the trademarks and then sell their own version of the actual material. I feel like you may be confusing the differences between trademarks and copyright, but who knows? I'm not an expert on these things either.

Anyway, if the judge rules in favor of WotC, then that would set a dangerous precedent for trademark by effectively allowing anyone to maintain a trademark forever. They do this just by registering it, posting an ebook on Kindle Unlimited, and then forgetting about it for centuries. This would prevent anyone else from ever registering that trademark ever again, even if the person who registered it has been dead for centuries or the company went out of business centuries ago. This would create the novel problem of "orphaned trademarks," which is similar to the current problem under copyright law where there are countless "orphaned works" whose copyright is either untraceable or held by owners who are deceased, out of business, apathetic, or don't even know they own it. This would be a bad thing for commerce and pervert the original intent of trademark law.

I want to double up on what @LordEntrails said, that there's just so much wrong in your post I don't think I can address all of it. But I'll start here.

First, and most importantly, there are multiple times in your post when you conflate trademark and copyright laws, and this paragraph is a big case of it. Second, you have to actively maintain a trademark, which is what WotC/Hasbro has done by continuing to sell the product. Third, because of the previous point, the idea of "orphaned" IP is a generally a copyright issue, not a trademark one. Finally, the original intent of trademark law is to protect consumers by not allowing a third party to trick customers into buying a product with a fake name. Which is exactly what NuTSR did when they claimed to be the "original" TSR and that their version of Star Frontiers was a "reboot".

This case is not going to set a precedent; what you describe above is exactly how trademark law works and has always worked. This is the reason Edgar Rice Burrows trademarked "Tarzan" in 1912. It's why you can write a story about Tarzan or reprint public domain works, but can't make a comic called "Tarzan" without permission.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Racism and deceptive marketing aside,

(Others have given you good responses on the substance of your text, so I will focus on your opening)

First, you forgot the sexism and transphobia.

Second, no, we will not set those aside. They are very germane. They are what drove WotC to act with such a heavy hand. They are not "lesser concerns". They matter. A lot. They are what is driving us to keep an eye on this case, and why so many of us oppose NuTSR's efforts.

VelvetViolet

Adventurer
I want to double up on what @LordEntrails said, that there's just so much wrong in your post I don't think I can address all of it. But I'll start here.

First, and most importantly, there are multiple times in your post when you conflate trademark and copyright laws, and this paragraph is a big case of it. Second, you have to actively maintain a trademark, which is what WotC/Hasbro has done by continuing to sell the product. Third, because of the previous point, the idea of "orphaned" IP is a generally a copyright issue, not a trademark one. Finally, the original intent of trademark law is to protect consumers by not allowing a third party to trick customers into buying a product with a fake name. Which is exactly what NuTSR did when they claimed to be the "original" TSR and that their version of Star Frontiers was a "reboot".

This case is not going to set a precedent; what you describe above is exactly how trademark law works and has always worked. This is the reason Edgar Rice Burrows trademarked "Tarzan" in 1912. It's why you can write a story about Tarzan or reprint public domain works, but can't make a comic called "Tarzan" without permission.
I know the difference. Copyright lasts for a fixed period after the creation/publication of a work and/or the death of the author. Trademark has to be actively used or it will lapse. They no longer work as intended because of Disney lobbying the government to extend copyright terms to the point where they're actively detrimental to preservation efforts.

TSR stopped selling Star Frontiers in 1985. WotC only started selling PDFs in 2017. That's a large enough gap for the trademark to lapse, because trademarks have to be actively used or they will lapse. If WotC didn't register the trademark before NuTSR did, then they don't have a claim to the trademark anymore.

Using PDF sales of old books to maintain trademark (not copyright) when you're not actually making any new products with it feels like it's exploiting a loophole. Trademark law was created before the advent of electronic storage, so it doesn't take into account situations where someone might try to game the system by trying to maintain a trademark without actually doing any effort by simply selling a book on kindle unlimited and then forget it exists.

The Burroughs Estate is doing more than just keeping Tarzan in print. They're actively engaged in making new works too. If keeping a book in print was enough to maintain a trademark, then the Stoker Estate would still have the trademark to Dracula.

What nuTSR is doing is clearly wrong, I don't dispute that, but that doesn't let WotC off the hook.

If Pepsi goes out of business, why should someone in the future be able to swoop up their logo and use it? Make your own brand. But maybe I'm missing something here.
Trademark is not supposed to last specifically forever, it's supposed to last however long it's being used. I feel like most of the posters here don't actually understand trademark or copyright law or the difference between them. I'm not a lawyer or a judge, but I can read the government websites explaining how these laws work.

I get that nuTSR are bigots, but that doesn't let WotC off the hook. WotC let the trademark lapse. Now they're trying to retroactively argue that they didn't because they're selling (low quality) PDFs now.

If WotC wins, then they're setting a precedent that you can retroactively reclaim a trademark that you let lapse without actually registering it.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Second, no, we will not set those aside. They are very germane. They are what drove WotC to act with such a heavy hand. They are not "lesser concerns". They matter. A lot. They are what is driving us to keep an eye on this case, and why so many of us oppose NuTSR's efforts.
I'll go even further. These are the very reasons that I want to see NuTSR removed from the hobby. Bigots are categorically unwelcome.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Racism and deceptive marketing aside..

Given the damage done to the reputation of the trademark by that racism and deceptive marketing, it is actually an important part of the case.

I get that nuTSR are bigots, but that doesn't let WotC off the hook. WotC let the trademark lapse.

No, they didn't. They allowed the registration of the trademark to lapse. But, while the registration makes defense of the mark easier, registration is explicitly not required to maintain the trademark. Simply continuing to sell products with the mark is sufficient.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads