• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

3.5 The Heroes of Dyvers Chapter Six

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Abigail says, "I know of a spell that can transfer the enchantment from one item to another, but it requires bonding a portion of one's own life force into the new item, in order to make the transfer hold fast. If you are willing to make that sacrifice, I could cast the spell for you. But it will have to be later, for the spell is a ritual, which takes several days."

GM: In game terms, it would cost you 5,000 XP points.
 
Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar shakes his head.

"...no, thank you though...the price is too high for such a small benefit."
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar hands Tam the Shadow cloak... "The cloak will only be recognizable as made by The Shadow to someone who knows what it is...but you'll likely be able to use it on our adventure."
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Damionte

Explorer
Ebony addresses Duncan: "Hmmm it's nice to put a name to a rumor at last."

Duncan offers a bit of clarification to the others in the room: "Some time back I received a tip from an informant in town that there was a player making moves against Lady Abigail. "

Ebony interrupts to explain further. "And that they would likely target the group as known associates."

Duncan continues: "Dame Ebony and I spent a day or two attempting to track down more solid information than that but came up empty."

Ebony adds: "We thought of mentioning something but as we had no solid information we chalked it up to unconfirmed rumor."

Duncan: "Plus we were interested in rather or not Lady Abigail would let us know about this threat on her own." Turning to the Dragon. "No offense is meant by that last M'Lady. Twas simple curiosity that lead to that decision. I really didn't take the threat seriously when nothing materialized from it as the weeks passed."
 
Last edited:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
I raise a brow when learning of the withheld intelligence, but choose not to comment on it, instead just slightly shaking my head. "Using the mirror to travel will probably be a good idea. That way our enemies won't know defenses here have been weakened with our absence. It would be wise for us to have a scroll or two to be able to teleport here and back to wherever this task of the Dame is taking us, just in case our presence is needed. The sooner we complete this, the sooner we can deal with the steading. After that, it might behoove us to sort out the Shadow. Hopefully our enemies don't get it in their heads to further consolidate their forces and create an alliance. We have quite the undertaking ahead of us already, to say the least."
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar comes back into the room ready to go. He sees everyone else nodding, so he nods along. When it looks like everyone is done talking Sylvar speaks up.

Lady Abigail your hospitality has been unprecedented and your grace un-matched. If I should be so lucky to one day find a woman with half your grace willing to be soul-mate I will be truly blessed. Now if you would be so kind as to guide us to the mirror, we should be on our way. Come men, don't be shy...once more into the bloody fields we go...who's with me? Or Respen in actuality.

Sylvar eagerly waits for Lady Abigail's response. He feels that the time he has spent lounging in her palace, for lack of a better term, has made him soft. He often wonders if he would have missed the presence of the two thugs before setting foot in her abode.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Of Portals, Visions, and Journeys.

Lady Abigail says, "I can see by your expression, Dewydd, that the withheld news is of concern to you; I must admit that I share some part of the responsibility for that. I knew, previously, that someone was preparing to move against me, but their lack of action caused me to become somewhat lax in my attention to it; the attack upon Sylvar was the first actual move against me, and I suspect that it was not planned; Sylvar's appearance was probably just (un)lucky timing, which is why he only faced two of The Shadow's agents. Had it been pre-planned, I am sure that Sylvar would have faced no less than 10 opponents, and he would probably not have made it back to tell the tale. However, now that action has been taken, The Shadow will probably up the ante, and make further moves, so as to seize the initiative. That is why it is more imperative now that you and your friends take your leave, so that you don't become embroiled in what is essentially my fight. Now that I have an item of hers," she says, holding up the buckler, "I should be able to use it to enhance my scrying and other divination efforts. I also plan to enlist my lover's aid in this matter; ancient Shadow Dragon or not, I doubt she can stand for long against The Gold Knight of Ehlonna. Ellis' wrath is awesome to behold, even for me."

[sblock=What Dame Clare told Respen in her mental message (partial excerpt)]"...I would like for you to seek out this Khubsheth, and find out what happened to Serindak. I doubt he would attack one so amiable as you. I think Serindak probably fell victim to the prejudice borne of his eight-legged form. In that regard, I would surmise that you could succeed where he failed. The priority is to discover whether or not Khubsheth knows anything about the Helm of Selreen. If he does not, then your second priority should be to ask him about the tomb below the statue, and inquire as to what fate Serindak might have met by venturing into that place. The Perch of Khubsheth is at the base of a large, sandstone statue, in the Kingdom of Ull, in the hills just south of Kester. The statue is a remnant of a fallen kingdom; it is a depiction of the Sphinx Queen, Ankharet. I suspect that she might be the Dark Queen that Serindak was referring to, which probably means that she is some form of powerful undead being. Finding Serindak will be a dangerous undertaking, but it must be done, because Serindak is too important for me to simply abandon him. YOU MUST DO THIS FOR ME. You will be generously rewarded if you succeed; your party is now large enough that a few of you could split off to do my errand, while the others return to the Steading. Or perhaps you could talk all of them into helping you. Those matters, I will leave to your clever little mind."
[/sblock]

Lady Abigail, remembering that Resen mentioned the hills jusr south of Kester, waves her hand over her magical mirror, causing to appear the image of a winding, dirt trail that snakes through a long series of orange-clay hills.

Lady Abigail says, "I don't know EXACTLY where Khubsheth's perch is, but these are the hills that Respen mentioned. Simply step through the mirror, and you will be there, instantly. I will give you an amulet of Succor to take with you; simply breaking it in half will cause you, and all allies within a 30' radius to return here, to my tower, via means of magical teleport. Guard it with zeal, for its powers might very well save your life, and the lives of your friends, should you find yourself in a dangerous situation."

Lady Abigail hands the amulet to Respen.

As she does so, Lathir speaks up: "Lady Abigail... friends and comrades... I am afraid that I will not be able to go with you; I received a vision last night from the Green Lady, and I am to head North, into the ruined grove that Vulka destroyed when she stole the Key of Krigala. I know that the portal will remain closed until the Key has been recovered; however, I was instructed to journey there, for a purpose that has not yet been revealed to me. As Meilikki's chosen, I have no choice but to obey. Lady Abigail, you said that you could take us there; once the party has stepped through to the hills, I would appreciate t if you could open a portal for me as well, into the Dim Forest, so that I might complete my task."

Lady Abigail nods in agreement; she will help Lathir by opening a portal for him. Lathir looks around at the party with a wistful look in his eye.

Lathir says, "Farewell, my friends."

[sblock=What Abigail Originally Said About the Key of Krigala]Lady Abigail says, “No, the two are unrelated; the helm was simply a fortunate find. But the staff was taken by Vulka for a specific purpose; the staff belonged to an order of Druids known as The Woodland Sentinels, who made their home at the edge of the Dim Forest. They were followers of Meilikki, and they were tasked with not only protecting the Dim Forest from despoilers, but also keeping the Great Portal open; the Great Portal is a doorway between four sacred trees, which allows the Druids from three different orders, in three different parts of the world, to travel to the Great Tree Temple in Krigala, the domain of the two sisters, Ehlonna and Meilikki. Needless to say, the Great Portal is essential to the faiths of the two sisters; the staff, known as the Key of Krigala, is the means by which the portal is made active. The portal has been closed for three years, ever since Vulka and her minions wiped out The Sentinels and took the staff. It was unknown who had perpetrated this foul deed until about three months ago, when an agent of mine discovered the truth. If you can obtain the key, your compatriot Lathir can use it to open the portal once more. It merely takes the touch of one who is pledged to Meilikki’s service to awaken the powers of The Key. Once you have it, I can take you to the tree myself; it is a mere 30 miles north of here.”
[/sblock]

GM:
Lathir is being parked, because MacConnell is taking a break from playing for awhile. This dialogue will help explain where he is, in the event that he should, in the future, decide to re-join the campaign.


GM:
DM INSTRUCTIONS: All players should post a quick, one-line response, stating that they actually follow Respen through the portal, into the dusty, orange-clay hills of the Kingdom of Ull.
 

Damionte

Explorer
Duncan & Company:

Duncan: "Those Ull tribesman can really fight. They're also very territorial. Good thing you'll have us along."

The Company returns to their quarters to retrieve their gear, and are back within a quarter hour. The twins cast protective magics on the foursome to protect against the elements bid the lady Abigail, farewell and follow their boss through the portal to the desert lands.

GM: +250 xp for each char (Duncan, Ebony, Lenny, & Trav) for prompt response. +150 xp. each char. for well-written brief RP post.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

redraider629

Explorer
Kleborn bids farewell to Lathir, and wishes him well. He sheaths his sword, straps his shield over his shoulder, collects the rest of his things, and heads out to follow Respen. He says to Respen "I look forward to accompanying you on this journey my old friend." He turns to Lady Abigail, "See you soon, my lady. Thank you again for all you have done for us."

Thallok is a bit disappointed that he did not get to fight those thugs with Sylvar. He laughs at the thought of what he would have done to them, but is happy Sylvar took care of them, all the same. He grabs his weapons with a smile, and exclaims "Away we go, I am itching to use this new blade!" At that, he follows the others on the quest.

GM: +250 xp. each character for prompt response. :cool: +300 xp for well-written RP post.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Waynan

Explorer
Tam waits to go through last so that he may speak privately to Lady Abigail.

"I can hardly believe my good fortune since Respen saved me from certain death or torture from the Succubus and her Orcan cohort in what now seems ages ago. I have received gifts of magical hats, cloaks, and all the things you have given and helped me with, the Boots and the Ring; but, especially helping me with my Outrider training by setting me up with the local camp and training grounds allowing me to acquire my trusted steed here, my dear Dammarra.", at this he pats the half wolf-mastiff fondly.

He adds; "My vow to you has not changed and I will do all that I can to fulfill my oath to you all the days of my life."

Tam then turns Dammarra to face the teleportation mirror, but before he rides through, he glances back, swirls back the cloak Sylvar had just given him, doffs Lathir's magical hat, bows his head in homage to Lady Abigail, sets the hat firmly back atop his head, turns back to face the mirror and has Dammarra canter proudly through said teleportation mirror.

GM:
+250 xp. for replying in a prompt manner.
+300 xp. for the well-written roleplaying! Well done! :cool:
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Aust Thale

Explorer
Respen...Going Once, Going Twice, SOLD to the Drow Vampire Bitch Down Under....

~ I have a bad feeling about this. ~

Scene I: Respen moved quietly about his quarters, carefully packing his gear, sorting among what he will take on this mission and what he will leave behind with Nel and the twins. He removes Delbin's spellbooks from his portable hole and gives them to Nel. "I'm not sure that these should go with me on this particular journey. Please see that these get back to him. I mentioned to Laramon that you'd be a good student for Delbin as well. Perhaps better than me. In any case, these spellbooks should be in your hands, not mine. I am sorry that I am leaving you so soon, but your sister compels my obedience. The cost to securing a future. You should travel wide of her. I shall return shortly my dear. " Respen kisses her deeply, caresses her face, and then kisses the foreheads of the twins. Elves never really gave up their instinctual wanderlust, but leaving his family this young and new was not particularly easy. He did not want her to see him leave. She stayed with the twins, attended to by Abigail's attendants. He walked to the main chamber.

Scene II: Respen surveyed the main chamber where the others gathered. He knew that most of his colleagues would rather not go with him. He appreciated their willingness, even withstanding Abigail's sobering assessment of the Steading and its occupants. As Sylvar relayed the attack by the thugs, he seethed. He and Sylvar were kinsman. He was thankful that the Bard Archer was in one piece. Respen also couldn't help but be concerned about Nel and the Twins. Addressing Abigail, "Your Grace, I am humbled by your generosity this last year, and beyond. But I must implore you, send my family away from here if you perceive danger from this Shadow Dragon. We have enough of the world to be worried about; I'd hope to keep them out of harm's way."


After Abigail's instructions, Respen accepted her Amulet of Succor. He placed it around Sylvar's neck, turning to his comrades, "You are in this quest because of me; stay centered around Sylvar, should fate not favor us and the tide go out. If push comes to shove, leave me; I'll manage, as I can teleport on my own, and up to three (3) others with me."

"For this endeavor, you have my humblest gratitude, and a profound deepening of loyalty."

With that, Respen steps through the portal.

GM: +250 xp. for prompt response, +500 xp. for well-written long RP post.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Aust Thale

Explorer
Vale's Raging Bile Duct

~ More mischief. Respen attracts it like body odor. Hope we are spared the stink. But somehow, I doubt it. ~

Vale comes quietly into the main chamber as Sylvar provides the details of his encounter with the thugs, and he listens silently as Abigail renders her counsel and encouragement. Pleased to be back in Hochach, or more specifically, being further away from Margull, suited him well. His commission having been reassigned by his order, Abigail's hospitality was most welcome. And now, on to more adventure.


"Respen, mate, let's be about this business. I fear a significant challenge. No sense letting it carry on without us. What you say Copperpot? Are you ready to make a go of this? "

And with that, ready for battle, not waiting for his axe's reply to the butchery of its name, he steps through the portal, loaded for bear...or undead...or maybe an undead bear.

GM:
+250 xp. for prompt response. +300 for well-written RP post.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Damionte

Explorer
On The Road again

On the other side of the portal, the twins address the party.

Trav: "Missers, and Misses, me brother and I have some news. During our stay with the glorious..."

Lenny Interrupts: "And beautiful. Don't forget beautiful."

Trav: "I would not forget beautiful. The glorious.... and beautiful Lady Abigail, she was able to help us unlock a family secret lurking in our past."

Lenny: "That's right, it turns out there is a bit of draconic ancestry in our line."

Trav: "Right-O, and The Lady Abigail, and... well more precisely her son was able to help us tap into some of that latent power."

Lenny: "Hahahah we can breath fire !! It's amazing."

Trav: "Ok ok calm down calm down. Yes, we can breath fire now. She also taught us some magic to help protect our friends form the effects. So if you allow us to, my brother and I can enchant the party to be immune from our draconic breath effects. "

Lenny: "Oh the enchantment also has the side effect of protecting you from the extremes of cold and heat brought on by the weather. A handy little enchantment in a desert climate."

Trav: "True true. It will need to be re-applied each morning but will last all day on a single casting. As our companions on this quest we offer this service, free of charge to any who would allow us to cast it."

Duncan attempts to reassure the group: "It's a very handy enchantment, we've been practicing fighting in formation with it. It's useful."

Ebony Quips: "Yes, but it's a shame it doesn't protect you from the normal ravages of their breath."

Duncan grins before addressing the gathering. : "For those who do not accept it it is of course your choice, but we ask that in the course of conflict you give us a bit of space. I would hate to have anyone scorched by accident at a critical time."

"While I am on the topic, when we all last fought together it was by chance and circumstance. We did not know the way in which you fight, and you did not know ours. I'm afraid we have not done much to remedy that lack of understanding of each other in the mean time."

"As for our little unit, you will note we all use blade and shield in the classic centurion style. For us to be at our best we need to be very near each other. We are able to easily incorporate other shield users into our formations at any moment, but those not wielding a shield can be very disruptive to our tactics. I would ask that you try not to interpose yourselves between any of us four during a conflict unless absolutely necessary."

"As for our other talents. Well the twins here are excellent shields-men, and are handy in a close hand to hand battle. Dame Ebony and I can also handle ourselves. You may note that we occasionally go into a chant while fighting. There is magic to this chanting. All who count us friend or ally within roughly 20 paces will find their sword a bit lighter, and their steps a bit more graceful. Your backbone will stand firmer, and your jaw less likely to break. As long as you allow the song to help guide you, you will recognize warnings and directions within the phrases, and rhythms of the chant."

"In addition we do also carry some healing magic. Not enough to allow you to stand toe to toe with a great foe unharmed, but enough to help patch up a few wounds quickly once the fighting is done."
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Looking to the Druid, I offer my wrist for a warrior's grip. "We'll meet again. If ever you find yourself in need - seek me out." Turning to the others, I nod slightly. "I agree, let's be off. The sooner we go, the sooner we can deal with the myriad of other issues arising."

GM: +250 XP. pts. for a prompt response.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
"...I'm up for any extra protection, thank you for your warning...and I must say I'm looking forward to seeing this particular skill in action...what a wonderful addition to the epic of Respen's Raiders..." Sylvar grins and winks at Respen.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Damionte

Explorer
Twinsies:

Lenny: "Excellent, allow us then."

The twins approach Sylvar both placing a hand on his shoulder and in unison they say a few short arcane words in the draconic tongue. As the magic washes over you, if you were not already protected you'd note than your body temperature regulates to a very comfortable state. Like lounging on your porch on a springtime afternoon. The twins then step back and Trav explains.

Trav: "Demonstration time." Both twins take a deep breath and blow. Trav blowing a line of fire, and Lenny spiting lightning. The two lines criss-cross as they blast towards and should he not avoid them directly through Sylvar. Passing through him as if he were not there. Leaving no marks or effects on him. You'd assume the effects to be illusion were it not for the scorching on the sand, and the combined smells of sulfur and ozone hanging in the air.
 
Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar's instinct is to dodge, but he trusts the spell and stands in place, moving only to shield his eyes from the brilliance emanating from the attack.

When its all done. Sylvar grins...Well, that's an experience I won't soon forget. I think people would pay for that. Sylvar eyes the twins for a moment. Next time I go out busking you should accompany me, we could get rich from that little trick alone.
 

Waynan

Explorer
Tam chuckles at the demonstration, but says:

"That is a fantastic thing and I will gladly accept your gift. Thank you for such a wonderful boon."

And with that, Tam stands before the twins to receive the "blessing", as it were.
 

Advertisement

Top