• Resources are back! Use the menu in the main navbar. If you own a resource, please check it for formatting, icons, etc.

3.5 GREYHAWK CY963 GOLDEN ERA CAMPAIGN: HEROES OF DYVERS: CHAPTER 4

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
It is now 3:35 pm. on Patchwall 16, CY 963.
Sunset, according to what Laramon told the party, will be around 6:15 pm.
The party is in the Village of Skorane, at the bottom of the dried-up, village water well, in a large, natural cavern.
The cavern is partially lit by the sunlight streaming in from the well shaft above.
It is also partially lit by a phosphorescent green moss which lines the walls, floors, and ceiling.

Welcome To...


Dyvers CY963 Campaign Logo 001.jpg

CHAPTER FOUR
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
And so, it begins...

It is obvious that this entire cavern was once filled with water. An exploration of the caves reveals the following (see map below):


Caves-Under-Well-001.png

There are elevation changes throughout the nearby portions of the cavern; the water has dwindled down to a small pool in an adjoining chamber. You estimate that the pool is perhaps 8 feet deep.

There is still enough phosphorescent green moss to see without torchlight in the adjoining chamber, but if you wish to travel into either of the passageways (A or B) you will need a light source. Both of those tunnels reside in absolute, pitch-black, darkness.

EVERYONE: What do you do?
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar adjusts his grip on the Naginata, grabbing it just about half way up the haft so that it feels balanced in his hand. " I would suggest that we don't dawdle, but the road ahead forks, shall we leave it up to the toss of a coin"
 
Last edited by a moderator:

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Moving Forward

Lathir composes himself after what must have appeared as a very strange ordeal to everyone else. He sheathes his halfspear in its carrier and readjusts his hat. He scans the area again, visually. He covers one eye then alternates to the other.

"Oh this is neat! I can see much better in this darkened environment than I could a few moments ago. It feels as if the whole of existence has shifted, somewhat."

Lathir moves off through the cave. "Wait for me a second." Seeing the water he moves off toward it to give a quick examination. He tests the water for purity and waits momentarily to see if anything within its depth may entice further interest.
 
Last edited by a moderator:

redraider629

Explorer
Thallok watches Lathir with much interest. As he too is wondering about that pool of water, as well as his new companion's miraculous healing. He moves towards the entrance of the cavern where Lathir is, and watches his inspection of the water.
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Lathir moves to the pool, and kneels beside it. He is surprised to find that the water is pure, and clean. With normal vision, the light from the phosphorescent moss would be insufficient to see past the water's surface. However, using Darkvision, Lathir can see that the water is clear, and that there is nothing of interest in the pool, aside from a pair of albino frogs with red eyes; Lathir knows from experience that species which live underground often develop such traits (e.g., albinism) to enable their survival in a particular, given environment. There is nothing remarkable about the pair of frogs.

Albino Frog 001.jpg


GM:
DC For Analyze Water is 15; you cannot fail this roll. The DC for Identify Animal is 15; you cannot fail this roll.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Quick note from the Dungeon Master:

GM:
The Flame Strike not only melted the pit spikes, but also most of the gear carried by the affected undead. All that remains is:

a tarnished chainmail shirt
two ragged and torn leather cuirrasses
a tarnished and dented open-faced helm
two tarnished longswords
 

Waynan

Explorer
While Lathir and Thallok check out the Pool Room, Tam-Tam stands at the point of the tunnel where the phosphorescence ends and the passages fork, thinking:

"A coin toss? Normally, I like a good mystery as to where something may lead me; but this could turn out bad no matter which way we go. Yeah, a coin toss is as good as any to choose a path"

Though he puts on a good face of bravado and cheer for the public eye; Tamartamlan Quickfoot was. is, and probably will always be, secretly, a bit of a skeptic --- and yet, he loves to take risks. Maybe that's why he became a thief. There was nothing riskier to his eye.

Pondering his methodology and which way the coin toss will take them, Tam-Tam gets his rapier at the ready in one hand and his dagger in the other, then looks back at the rest of the party:

"This is a strong group. I really like them, already --- even, and maybe especially, the Orc; though, for the life of me, I can't explain why. Anyways, hopefully, all this will play out to our advantage."
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir touches the pool of water with the tip of his left hand. He watches the ripples gently travel from it across the surface of the pool. To him it is a druidic symbol of well being upon the simple life within the pool. To others, it may seem as if he were momentarily lost in thought or perhaps nothing at all.

He stands and moves deliberately toward the waiting Halfling.
"Well my little friend, which way do you think?"
 

Waynan

Explorer
Tam-Tam looks up at Lathir and replies:

Well, to keep away from any superstitious reasons to choose one way over the other; you know, like, "Choose the right path", "Live the right way", "Took a left turn", and all the implications we apply to those sorts of things, I'd say: Let's toss that coin and get a move on. Of course, I also have an ulterior motive for this, for my real concern is that, if this is an old well, then it was meant to be filled with water, and I don't think any of us wants to be here if it decides to fill up again."
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir Finds Humor

Tam-Tam looks up at Lathir and replies:
"Well, to keep away from any superstitious reasons to choose one way over the other; you know, like, 'Choose the right path', 'Live the right way', 'Took a left turn', and all the implications we apply to those sorts of things, I'd say: Let's toss that coin and get a move on. Of course, I also have an ulterior motive for this, for my real concern is that, if this is an old well, then it was meant to be filled with water, and I don't think any of us wants to be here if it decides to fill up again."
Lathir laughs.
"A wink is as good as a nod. Flip away. Heads we go left. Tails we go right."
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
A quick note from the Dungeon Master:

GM:
Lathir = Darkvision 60'
Thallok = Darkvision 60'
Tam-Tam = Normal (Human-like) Vision
Dewydd = Normal Vision
Sylvar = Low-Light Vision (x2 Human Sight Distance)
Respen = Low-Light Vision (x2 Human Sight Distance)
Vale = Darkvision 60'


The party has a mixture of vision types, therefore, a plan needs to be formed as to how the party will proceed through dark areas; who will scout ahead (if anyone), who will carry a torch or a sun-rod, etc.? These things need to be decided upon; talk it out in the Facebook chat, and then someone needs to post the final plan here in an OOC box.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir suggests to the group that he, Thallok, and Vale, all three, range ahead just at the edge of the available light source to optimize the use of their vision just in case there might be some danger attracted to the light.
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Respen & Vale To Proceed

Lathir suggests to the group that he, Thallok, and Vale, all three, range ahead just at the edge of the available light source to optimize the use of their vision just in case there might be some danger attracted to the light.
Vale:
~ Aye, I hear you clearly now, my Able. What do you think? Left or Right? ~

As Lathir gathers himself after his clearly changed personage, and during his examination of the water, Vale studies the cave while apparently in his own deep thoughts. Vale chuckles every so often, mildly tickled at something that isn't readily apparent to the others, but his axe appears to gather even the least amount of light to it, the bladed edge and even the hilt shimmering in soft fluorescent light. He continues about his work, examining the tunnel at some length for any additional signs, including whether air is stagnant or breezy, whether the tunnel looks new or old, as well as the type of rock and general direction and depth of the cave at any particular spot.

He takes a moment to top off his water skin in the pool, "Everyone, if you have water skins or empty wine skins, you should gather some water. Lathir appears to trust it, and I can purify it if necessary. I agree with Lathir. I shall run point early, and Lathir and Thallok you should be right behind." Vale puts his axe out for the group to see more closely. "For what it's worth, my axe will worn us when undead approach; we shall not be surprised by the dead. I sense that it will reach out to find them well before they can come close. If you see it turn blue, take notice of the hue. The deeper the blue, the closer the danger. And equally as resourceful, the axe sees, hears, and senses farther out than any of us. " Vale kisses the axe. "Good axe."

Vale moves about 5 feet into each opening (A/B) holding the axe, and mentally asks the axe to use its 'Great-Sense' to explore down each tunnel. He carefully measures what he sees or understands from Able the Axe against what he knows as a dwarf for signs of construction, traps, or anything not quite right. He reports his findings to the party. He additionally looks for traps at the entrances to the tunnels. (A/B)

OOC: Hill Dwarven Stonecunning allows ability to notice stonework traps as if a rogue within 10 ft. by simply walking by it. Vale is paying attention. Current roll #1d20+5=10



Respen:
~ Let's see what we can see. Hear what we can hear. And find what we can find. ~

Respen leaves the scorched remains in the open cavern, but not before studying the cavern for a hasty egress should the need arise sooner rather than later. It likely is not the only surface opening in the area, but it's the only opening they currently observe. He moves into the cavern with the pool of water, sees Lathir and Vale give it the once over, and he carefully checks and fills his own water skin. Afterwards, he adjusts his equipment, and stows the odds and ends that he brought (rations, rope, sacks, torches, and oil flasks) on his person (rope) or in his backpack (everything else).

He removes the hat of disguise, and stows it properly in his belt. He smiles at the newcomers to their group as they notice the change, and he winks in amusement. "Comes in handy, no?"

Respen then turns focused, almost serious, as he explores the tunnel floors (A/B), looking for tracks of the golem, or perhaps heavy traffic, any signs of egress or ingress. He studies the apertures for signs of torn clothing or abrasions showing wear and tear. He examines the area around the pool as well for signs of use or entry. He also looks for false walls.

OOC: Request: Need information about cave floor to determine DC for Survival roll (+7) Roll= #1d20+7 = 27 (perfect roll!!!) He should see tracks, if any, even if rocky surface.
 

Waynan

Explorer
Tam-Tam also tops off his waterskin; but there was no way he was going to water down his skin of fine wine.

Thinking on it, he takes a swallow of the wine, a Nyr Dyv Double Noir. Some say it is the only grape out of Furyondy that is worth the price most vendors ask when turned into a wine. The funny thing is: Only a few, mostly halflings, even know of the vintage. But, nothing can be kept a secret for long.

Tam-Tam ponders having another drink of the wine, but knows he'll need his wits about him. He stoppers the skin and tucks it on the side of his backpack where he ties a leather thong around it to keep it from bouncing around and hindering him as he moves about or goes to work on a lock, trap, or what have you.

He also drifts toward the back. Tam-Tam has an uncanny ability to hear better from things or people beside or behind him than in front. He never really understands why that is, but he has used it to his advantage more than once. So, if everyone can stay in front of him, he can hear better if anyone, or anything might come up behind them and try to surprise or attack the party.
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir engages the party again.
"I do not know why I did not think of this earlier. Let me see if we can get a preliminary look at these two darkened paths."

Lathir looks around in this natural cavern collecting two small loose rocks. He intends to cast light on them and throw one down each of the paths as far as he can throw.

"Those of you with the ability to see in the dark. Watch your eyes for a second."

OOC: Cantrip Light x2
 
Last edited:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Looking at Tam-Tam's weapon options, I unbuckle two weapon straps and hand them to him.
"Piercing weapons do not work well against the undead. Use bludgeoning to smash the brittle bones of skeletons and a slashing blade against the putrid flesh of zombies.
You may use these while we explore."

"If we find ourselves in combat again, I can cast a light cantrip once. It should last for about 30 minutes."


OOC: The weapons offered are a Masterwork Alchemical Silver Handaxe and a Masterwork Cold Iron Light Mace.
 
Last edited:

Waynan

Explorer
Tam-Tam sheaths his weapons and graciously accepts the gift of the weapons from Dewydd. There exquisite craftsmanship is obvious. He just hoped he could wield them with the finesse they deserved.

With genuine sincerity, yet speaking with the silvered tones of the shopkeeper, as he needed to use when he operated his jeweler's store:

"Thank you for the loan, Dewydd. You are most gracious and thoughtful. I hope I prove worthy of your generosity."
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Exploring the caves...

The party begins to explore the passageways...

Vale said:
Vale moves about 5 feet into each opening (A/B) holding the axe, and mentally asks the axe to use its 'Great-Sense' to explore down each tunnel.
Vale: You concentrate for several long moments, trying to discern whether or not the axe has detected anything, but the weapon remains silent, and its glow dim, almost non-existent.

Lathir said:
He intends to cast light on them and throw one down each of the paths as far as he can throw.
GM:
OTTER Custom Rule:
==============
Throwing Distance = 75 Feet Base
+1d10 feet per point of BAB
+1d6 feet per point of STR Bonus
-1d10 feet per 10 lbs. of weight.

So, to throw a stone less than 10 lbs. in weight, a 1st level Fighter with a 15 Str would throw (75) + (1d10) + (2d6) for a maximum of 97 feet (32 yards.) Taking average = 75+6+7 = 88 feet (29 yards.)

Lathir: BAB = +6, Str = 15, so: 75+6d10+2d6 = Max 147 feet (49 yards). Taking average = 75+33+7 = 115 feet (38 yards.)



Lathir lights up two stones, throwing one down each passageway. Each stone makes it a little more than a hundred feet before skipping to a stop. Passageway A seems to lead to another large cavern, while Passageway B seems to continue for quite some way without coming to any sort of opening.

GM:
Yellow areas are WELL LIT. Grey areas are dimly lit / shadowy.



Caves-Under-Well-002a.png

Respen said:
Respen then turns focused, almost serious, as he explores the tunnel floors (A/B), looking for tracks of the golem, or perhaps heavy traffic, any signs of egress or ingress.
Respen: The Golem went down Passage A, which is only lightly traveled. But many tracks lead back and forth along Passage B.

GM:
Both passageways are slimy and slippery; movement down either passageway will be at a -10 ft. penalty to movement rate; people with 30 ft. move will have a 20 ft. move; those with 20 ft. move will be reduced to 10 ft. move. Double move carries no penalty, but running will require a Reflex save, DC = 10 + 1 per 5 ft. of distance; so running a 20 foot distance would be DC 14 Reflex save to avoid a fall. Falls deal no damage, but they DO halt forward movement after traveling half the intended distance, and render the runner PRONE.
 

Advertisement

Top