The "I Didn't Comment in Another Thread" Thread

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
@payn Which do you think you would prefer, the e8 type set up, spreading the abilities up to level 8 across 20 or 30 levels, or using XP to adhoc improve things getting up to about level 8?

(Where 8 could be anything from 6-12 depending on what is deemed the sweet spot).
Let me see if I have this correct. Choice A is the game only has 8 levels, but fits the 20 level power spread? Choice B has no levels, just XP awards that give power ups that eventually hit the level 20 spread?

If that is the question, I think I would prefer the 8 level system for D&D for traditional sense, but I have done the other successfully for years in Traveller.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Let me see if I have this correct. Choice A is the game only has 8 levels, but fits the 20 level power spread? Choice B has no levels, just XP awards that give power ups that eventually hit the level 20 spread?

If that is the question, I think I would prefer the 8 level system for D&D for traditional sense, but I have done the other successfully for years in Traveller.

A: e8 - level like usual to 8, then feats only

B: Take the powers of levels 1 to 8 and stretch them out. (So it takes 20 or 30 levels of advancement to get to the current level 8 power).

C: traveller-esque

payn

A: e8 - level like usual to 8, then feats only

B: Take the powers of levels 1 to 8 and stretch them out. (So it takes 20 or 30 levels of advancement to get to the current level 8 power).

C: traveller-esque
I think A&C are ideal. In that order for D&D in particular.

I don't even want 20 levels of gaming the way they are now. Though, I really do think D&D tier play should be different by level. So, 1-8 is like general sword and sorcery play, 9-14 is high level fantasy, and finally 15-20 is gonzo fantasy. That's just an example, but something I think the designers would be wise to articulate during development, and solidified in the PHB/DMG.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I think A&C are ideal. In that order for D&D in particular.

I don't even want 20 levels of gaming the way they are now. Though, I really do think D&D tier play should be different by level. So, 1-8 is like general sword and sorcery play, 9-14 is high level fantasy, and finally 15-20 is gonzo fantasy. That's just an example, but something I think the designers would be wise to articulate during development, and solidified in the PHB/DMG.

What do you feel is the big difference between A&B? Is it that it still gives some joy of levelling up to that power level like the traditional gameand then plateauing, instead of making the whole thing more gradual?

payn

What do you feel is the big difference between A&B? Is it that it still gives some joy of levelling up to that power level like the traditional gameand then plateauing, instead of making the whole thing more gradual?
I think levels are a more tangible increase in power. You see the HP go up, you actively take new feats, etc.. It's a big milestone as opposed to a smaller one. In a game where focus is on tactics over strategy, this is important. For example, in super hero games I have never liked leveling systems. I mean, I want to be Superman and do Superman things. So, with leveling, I start as bullet proof. Then, I level up to strength, eye beams, flying, etc... That just doesn't fit the genre. Also, combat being so nuanced with death conditions is also not within the genre. Superman doesn't die, or at least doesn't stay permanently dead. Now you can say D&D characters can be raised from the dead, this is true, but its not something that happens for the first 1/3 of the game. Which fits the sword and sorcery genre.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
I think levels are a more tangible increase in power. You see the HP go up, you actively take new feats, etc.. It's a big milestone as opposed to a smaller one. In a game where focus is on tactics over strategy, this is important. For example, in super hero games I have never liked leveling systems. I mean, I want to be Superman and do Superman things. So, with leveling, I start as bullet proof. Then, I level up to strength, eye beams, flying, etc... That just doesn't fit the genre. Also, combat being so nuanced with death conditions is also not within the genre. Superman doesn't die, or at least doesn't stay permanently dead. Now you can say D&D characters can be raised from the dead, this is true, but its not something that happens for the first 1/3 of the game. Which fits the sword and sorcery genre.

I don't picture a lot of S&S characters leveling that quickly though.

In an e8 type set-up, what's your sweet spot for how many sessions between levels?

What's your sweetspot for the power level of the 1st level character? (Straight off the farm, experience apprentice, journeyman?)

payn

I don't picture a lot of S&S characters leveling that quickly though.

In an e8 type set-up, what's your sweet spot for how many sessions between levels?
For the first 3 levels, its usually 4-6 sessions. After that, its usually probably about 3 sessions per level.
What's your sweetspot for the power level of the 1st level character? (Straight off the farm, experience apprentice, journeyman?)
I like where 3E/PF1 characters start. Though, I dont want do dwell there too long. I think 3rd level is a good point of hardy enough to take a hit, and have enough tools in the box to be interesting. I would envision this process as off the farm to journeyman.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
For the first 3 levels, its usually 4-6 sessions. After that, its usually probably about 3 sessions per level.

I like where 3E/PF1 characters start. Though, I dont want do dwell there too long. I think 3rd level is a good point of hardy enough to take a hit, and have enough tools in the box to be interesting. I would envision this process as off the farm to journeyman.
How long in e8 do you keep playing them after they've hit 8 and it's just feats?

(And thank you for submitting to the inquisition, by the way!)

payn

How long in e8 do you keep playing them after they've hit 8 and it's just feats?
At this point I usually start working towards the campaign end game. Sometimes that comes around quickly, like in an adventure path. Sometimes it takes awhile for a sandbox game that is based on faction play. So, really the campaign style will dictate along with player's initiative to engage the end game. I tend to put a lot of options in the player's hands when it comes to pacing.
(And thank you for submitting to the inquisition, by the way!)
This is fun stuff to talk about, so the pleasure is all mine!

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
My poll archive now stands at 25:

1. "I have never once worried about 'encounters per day' when prepping D&D 5E"
  2. "As a DM I don't pay all that much attention (if any) to the PCs' remaining resources."
  3. "As DM, I Know How All the PCs' Abilities, Spells, and Items Work"
  4. "I Like to Play D&D on My Birthday"
  5. "When DMing I Avoid Making the PCs have 'pointless' combats."
  6. "The so-called '5-Minute Workday' is Something I've Seen Regularly Playing 5E D&D"
  7. "I House Ruled Aspects of 5E or Chose to Use Options from the DMG Before I'd Ever Played or Run 5E"
  8. "Tactics are an Important Part of D&D"
  9. "When I Run D&D 5E, the Arc of the PCs' Adventures is 'Zero to Hero'."
  10. "When Starting Up a New Campaign I Always Have a Session #0"
  11. "As a Player, I Alert the DM When I Notice Them Make a Mistake in the PCs Favor"
  12. "When I DM, I Try to Make Sure to Lay Eyes on Every Roll My Players Make to Confirm It"
  13. "My group uses Discord, Email, or some other form of chat to take care of in-game between-session logistics and/or role-playing."
  14. "In My General Experience Playing D&D, DMs Care More About Setting Lore Than Players Do"
  15. "When Running a 5E Campaign I Always Ban at Least One Core Race, Class, or Sub-Class"
  16. "I Prefer for My 5E D&D Campaigns to Have a Pre-Determined Ending Point"
  17. "As a whole, 3rd Party Products Make D&D Better."
  18. "I have Experienced What I'd Call 'DM Burnout'"
  19. "I Have Grandfathered or Incorporated Rules/Features from Previous Editions of D&D into my 5E campaigns."
  20. "Once an encounter begins, I will make changes to it for balance, fun, or rules reasons."
  21. "When I DM I do my Best to Curb Players Meta-Gaming or Using Out-of-Character Knowledge."
  22. "Players in my D&D Group Sometimes Play Characters of a Different Gender."
  23. "I have had a 'D&D Hangover'"
  24. "I have Played in or Run a Campaign Set in the Forgotten Realms"
  25. "I have played in or run a D&D campaign set in Greyhawk."
I believe all political candidates should be required to answer these surveys, to better inform the electorate.
My 2cp.

Remove ads