What do Enworlders do in real life?

23 (24 in October)
Recently quite college during my second semester (thinking about going to a new one but i have a severe learning disability that my high IQ doesnt balance out so i have a hard time learning so i am weighing my options based on that)
Unemployed, as i refuse to be an automaton working fast food or retail (did that a few times, after a few months i was done for life)
Living with parents, no reason to move out unless your getting married and im not.
So pretty much im a loser.

JDJarvis

First Post
I've been a proffesional artist for about 20 years now and have been employed as a concept-artist/animator at an R&D engineering firm for about 8 years now. I actually get to draw combat robots, soldiers and all sorts of related goodness on a regular basis (in addition to such excitings things as process flow animations and org charts).

I once had a teacher scold me for doodling in class all the time "You are an excellent artist Mr. Jarvis but someday you are going to have to get your head out the clouds and focus on something serious to make a living"...gee she was really intuituve. Of course I went to college for applied mathematics and computer science but that only ended up making me better at my trade as an artist (which supported me in my college days as well).

Scotley

Hero
Waylander the Slayer said:
Financial forensic consultant for a consulting firm. I analyze stuff to figure out what happened and who did what.

Can you tell me why I'm broke all the time? Oh wait, I'm married with three kids and six pets. I think I know...

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
I thought there'd be more software developers. Huh.

My English degree has stood me in good stead in my job as Software Development Manager for one of the fastest-growing high tech companies in Vancouver. Seriously, we've gone from 80 people in late 2004 to FOUR HUNDRED people today. Crazy growth -- all revenue-driven. We're just trying to keep up with our own success.

I'm responsible for hiring, managing, firing and making happy our team of 30+ software developers, while turning out products AND maintaining an insanely high-traffic 24/7 website. We build transactional servers and other big products in Java, as well as develop glossy, user-friendly interfaces.

Stupid amounts of fun.

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Oh, and some comments on previous posts:

diaglo said:
Big Diaglo is watching.
This is the scariest post ever.

Kahuna Burger said:
While I have the talent to be a freelance writer I simply do not have the self discipline.
Nellisir said:
Me too, me too! We should start a club or something!
I was going to start a club for procrastinators but I... you know.

ssampier said:
I'm thinking something about giant monkeys armed with ray guns.
Me, too. I'm ALWAYS thinking something about giant monkeys armed with ray guns.

WmRAllen67 said:
I'm ta-ing for "History of China 1" (pre-1500), about which I know just as much as all those wuxia movies can teach me!
Somewhere or other (possibly in my Wild Stewardess Action story hour) I said, "Everything I know about Chinese history I learned from 80's and 90's Hong Kong movies. If that's not an accurate source, I don't want to know."

pogre

Legend
GrendelKhan said:
I teach high school health and physical education and coach football and track.
Hey, glad to see another high school football coach on here!

I was an attorney for several years, but gave it up to teach high school history and coach football and track & field. Greatest decision I ever made.

Prime_Evil

Adventurer
I'm the IT manager for a medical research institute attached to a major hospital in Sydney, Australia. Like many ENWorlders, I have an degree in History...although I've recently gone back to University part-time to do a Master's degree in Network Security.

VoidDragon

First Post
Hi everyone!

I just graduated high school, and until University starts in September I'm working in a library as a page/shelver. It's a rather boring job, but there's a lot of work to get done and the pay is good, so I can't really complain.

Remove ads