Rokugan: Blood and Cherry Blossoms OOC

Li Shenron

Legend
Ai Fudo

Here's a draft for the character, it was really hard to do all the choices! Equipment is still missing, because that alone takes a long time. Background also will be added tomorrow. I have chosen 7 levels + 32 points, but at the end it was too complicated to choose among the extra advantages and ancestors, so I used all the 32 points in abilities.

Code:
Name:		Ai Fudo
Race:		Human , female
Alignment:	Lawful Neutral
Class:		Fighter 3 / Shugenja 4
Clan:		Crane

Personal Description
Height:		170cm
Weight:		50kg
Details:		...

Racial and clan Features
Size:		medium
Base Speed:	30ft
Skills:		+1 sp/lv, Diplomacy always class skill
Languages:	Rokugani
Favored class:	samurai
Special:		bonus ancestor feat

Base Abilities (32pt)
Strength		12	Intelligence	14
Dexterity	 	14	Wisdom		10
Constitution	12	Charisma		17**

** one level increase

LEVEL 7

Class	Fighter 3 / Shugenja 4

Initiative		+2
BAB		+5
ST		Fort	+3 +1 = +4 base (+1 Con) = +5
		Refl	+0 +1 = +1 base (+2 Dex) = +3
		Will	+3 +4 = +7 base (+0 Wis) = +7
Hp		10 + 2d10 (avg 11) + 4d6 (avg 14)+ 7 (Con) = avg 42

Weapon prof.	(all Simple Weapons)
			jo (club), dagger, quarterstaff
			unarmed strike, gauntlet
			dart, javelin, shortspear
			light crossbow, heavy crossbow, small blowgun
		(all Martial Weapons)
			wakizashi, katana (two-handed)
			battleaxe, warhammer
			greatclub, greatsword
			guisarme, trident, nagamaki, naginata
			composite shortbow, day-kyu (composite longbow)

Armor prof.	(Light Armor)
			padded
			bone armor
			ashigaru armor
		(Medium Armor)
			chain shirt
			partial armor
		(Heavy Armor)
			great armor
		(Shields)
			tessen
			kappa shell

Feats:		lv1 Quick Draw
		lv1 Iaijutsu Master (Crane ancestor feat)
		lv1 Dodge (fighter bonus)
		lv2 Mobility (fighter bonus)
		lv3 Skill Focus (Iaijutsu focus)
		lv6 Spring Attack

Skills:		skill			ab.	ranks
		Climb			+1		acp
		Jump			+1		acp
		Swim			+1		acp x2

Balance			+2		acp
		Escape Artist¤		+2		acp
		Hide¤			+2		acp
		Move Silently¤		+2		acp
		Ride*			+2
		Tumble			+2	10/2		total +7
		Use Rope		+2

Concentration		+1	8		total +9

Appraise			+2
		Craft - Calligraphy*		+2	2		total +4
		Craft - Painting*		+2	2		total +4
		Forgery¤			+2
		Knowledge (Arcana)*	+2	2		total +4
		Knowledge (History)*	+2
		Knowledge (Nobility)*	+2	2		total +4
		Knowledge (Religion)*	+2
		Search			+2
		Spellcraft*		+2	2		total +4

Heal			0
		Listen			0
		Sense Motive		0
		Spot			0
		Wilderness Lore		0

Bluff¤			+3
		Diplomacy		+3	8		total +11
		Disguise¤		+3
		Gather Information¤	+3
		Iaijutsu focus		+3	10/2		total +8
		Intimidate		+3
		Perform - Tea ceremony*	+3	2/2		total +4

tot points spent = 48
		*high skill - the use of this skill is honorable
		¤low skill - the use of this skill is dishonorable

Spells:		0th	6/day			DC 14	+2 Air
		1st	6+1/day			DC 15	+2 Air
		2nd	3+1/day			DC 16	+2 Air

Known:		0th	Guidance*
			Daze*, Ghost sound*, Know direction*
			Light, Detect poison, Read magic
		1st	Detect snares and pits*
			Feather fall*, Expeditious retreat*
			Cure light wounds
		2nd	Detect thoughts*
			Silence
		*Air

Class features:	Element Focus (Air)
		Sense Elements (10-30ft, 3/day)

Languages:	Rokugani

Class Tools:	Set of Ofuda (divine focus) (15gp, 3lb)
		Spell Component Pouch (5gp)

Other Gear:	Belt Pouch (1gp) + Trail Ration (3x0,5gp) + Soap (0,5gp)
		Waterskin (1gp)
		several outfits for different weather and occasions

Starting work on my character right now...only one question.

As a Phoenix Shugenja, I'm selecting the Isawa school as my school...what spells do I get for this slot? Only the Agasha school is listed for Phoenix, and that's Fire(prohibited to Water, which I'm going to focus in)

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
AMG - Pg. 27 of the OA book, top of the first column, just before the Sense Elements class feature.
The shugenjas of the Phoenix clan's Isawa school can specialize in any of the four elements. The Isawa school also trains shugenjas who specialize in the fifth element, Void.

Isida Kep'Tukari said:
AMG - Pg. 27 of the OA book, top of the first column, just before the Sense Elements class feature.
I know, but it doesn't list the spells that are availiable to that school...the other schools have listed spell lists, Isawa doesn't. Does that mean I just pick any other school?

Looking through the Rokugan CS, came across the Water School...its for the minor clans, but text says its likely that the Major Clans would teach these also.

Dark Nemisis, just checking to see if its okay to go with the Water School :)

Dark Nemesis

First Post
Isida: Void points are gained by taking the Void use feat. One usually starts with two from that feat, but can gain more.

Starting Honor can be found in the Rokugan book. It’s basically the substitute for alignment in Rokugan, and reflects how closely one follows the code of bushido. The higher one’s honor, the more closely they follow bushido. Basically, it reflects how “good” of a person you are in the eyes of Rokugani. What clan and family you choose determines your starting Honor. You gain and lose honor points depending on your actions. 10 honor points equals one Honor rank.

Glory is something that existed in 1st edition Rokugan, which I using as a House rule. Glory is basically how well known you are, and how favorable your reputation is. A character starts with a Glory of 1.

Valeren: Ack, I missed some. If I mentioned an advantage that is already a feat in the Rokugan book, then take the definition of the feat rather than the advantage.

Also, feats, classes and katas from the Secrets books are fair game. If you’re thinking about a school, let me know and I’ll consider it.

AMG: Go with the shugenja in the Rokugan book, if you can. You don’t lose any spells, and Isawa shugenja can still access all elements, but instead of having one known spell come from a specific school list, it will be your choice.

Dark Nemesis said:
AMG: Go with the shugenja in the Rokugan book, if you can. You don’t lose any spells, and Isawa shugenja can still access all elements, but instead of having one known spell come from a specific school list, it will be your choice.

Alrighty! Almost done with the character(stat wise at least)

Dark Nemesis

First Post
Li Shenron: Just a few things about your character.

Perhaps you should go with levels of samurai in place of fighter levels. The base attack progression is the same, you gain feats at a similar rate, and you have more appropriate skills. Fighters are associated more with ronin than with the noble caste.

Also, I strongly encourage you to get your hands on a Rokugan book. Most of the feats you have listed aren’t in the Rokugan CS. Also, you would have more spells available to you as a shugenja.

I know you are a Crane, but what family are you? The families are the Asahina, Doji, Daidoji, Kakita and Yasuki. Asahina are primarily shugenja, Daidoji are the samurai, Doji are the courtiers, Kakita are the artisans and duelists, and Yasuki are the merchants. You gain a class skill depending on what family you are from, and your starting honor depends on your family as well.

Last edited:

Kangaxx

First Post
Originally I passed this thread by because I already spend more time than I should on these boards. But after coming back and seeing all those d10 abilities, and thinking about it more, I just can't pass up the opportunity of playing in a Rokugan game. Hopefully there's still room for one more. So, in complete contradiction of my earlier statement about already spending too much time on the boards, here's the character I spent the last 2 hours thinking up:

Background: Shinjo Karage was an only child because his mother, originally Ide Tsuriko, died in childbirth. Karage's father, Shinjo Kenji, was a typical Unicorn, skilled as a warrior and scout, and most at home in a saddle riding across the plains. Karage, however, was never a typical Unicorn. He never felt at home riding with his father, and even at a young age, he imagined he could hear the voices of his Ide ancestors telling him he belonged in the courts. When he came of age, he went to Ide schools to train as a courtier. His father was disappointed, but hoped that he would grow bored there and return to his way of life. However, Kenji never got a chance to see if it would happen because he died in the plains outside of Otusan Uchi on the second day of thunder.

Karage became distraught upon hearing of his father's final fate, and decided to become a scout in accordance with his father's last wishes. He spent a year as a scout patrolling near Shinomen Mori before his daimyo, recognizing his lack of ability and enthusiasm as a soldier, and his knack for both regarding politics, ordered him back to the Ide schools to better serve his clan.

Recently he has completed his training and is eager for his first assignment as a true courtier.

Personality: Karage is very serious for his age, and determined to prove himself as an asset to his clan. However that determination comes from a deepseated guilt because he feels that he has never measured up to the Unicorn's, and especially his father's, standards. His highest aspiration is to remove the common idea of Unicorns as uncouth barbarians, and help them get the respect they in Rokugan's courts. However, in his heart, Karage has always felt out of place with most Unicorns, and he wishes they were more like the other clans. He's more at home with the intrigues of the empire than with his horse, and he feels that being that way is somehow against the nature of his heritage.

Karage would have a level or 2 of ranger, and the rest in courtier. I'll hold off on worrying about the specific numbers until I know if he's approved.

Last edited:

Remove ads