• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Dr. Si's Curse of the Crimson Throne - Seven Days to the Grave

Kaodi

Hero
OOC: I meant Ignatius' mundane gear, if it was unclear. He carries a lot of tools and other various gear with him. Like every self-respecting wandering adventurer should, ;) .

Axel

First Post
Mhairi

Mhairi pocketed the items she found on the dead necromancer's corpse, both small and obviously valuable as well as the smart black cloak, spellbook and jewellery. It would be good to wear something other than working gear after all this was sorted. Well, at least there's SOMETHING in this crazy caper at the end. Better hold on to these gems in case Ed tries to give them all away to sick kiddies...ugh!

She trailed the other three mutely through the release of prisoners and discovery of the cells. Words really had no further power to describe the evilness and vileness of the place, so she kept her silence and internalised. The discussion about resting had nothing for her to add either. Like most times, nobody had laid a finger on her throughout the night.

Still, she had something to say about leaving the place. "Look, I'm as keen to get out of this place as the rest of you. But what difference does it make if sick people come to the warehouse? So they find the place empty with a few bloodstains on the floor? Big deal...its a hospital, people expect funny stuff like that. Just leave it empty or lock the door and hand a closed sign on the front. I reckon these keys," she jangles Rolf's keychain, "will probably work on the door. Easier to get in next time, eh?"

Dr Simon

Explorer
Edmond scans Rolth's items - the bone wand, the cloak, the headband, the ring and the jar of unguent or ointment ar all magical, the rest (that Mhairi shows him...) is not. Of these, the headband bears the strongest magic but this is the only one that he cannot discern a purpose to.

With the prisoners safe for the moment, the group turns its attentions to the north door, as one last check.

The door opens easily to reveal a small room, yet another room kitted out as either a laboratory or a torture chamber, or both. Delicate-looking equipment lines the walls and in the centre of the room is a table with a young Varisian man strapped down beneath three metal bands. He is unconscious, but Edmond and Manachan can see a resemblance to Deyanira Mirukova - this could well be her brother whom they were asked to rescue from Carowyn Manor and who could not be found amongst the dancing zombies.

Standing at the far side of the table is a tall lean figure, an old bald man, emaciated but powerful and stern, with a slightly feral and slightly elven cast to his features. He looks at you with a calm gaze.

"You must be the ones who set off the alarm," he says. "I presume that racket just now was you putting an end to that idiot Rolth? Well, stay or go. You're interrupting my work."

Hospice 48.jpgRamoska.jpg

[sblock=Edmond]
Items from Rolth -

Wand of magic missiles, CL3rd, 43 charges
Cloak of resistance +1
Headband - moderate transmutation
Ring of protection +1
Unguent of timelessness, 6 applications
[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Before entering:
"Mhairi, can you use wands? I know some of street learning includes how to trigger this kind of items, but I'm not sure if you ever encountered such?"
OOC: Everyone, quick loot division: read the spoiler above: I would take either cloak or the ring if you allow it...
[MENTION=21938]Dr Simon[/MENTION]: how did we destroy the vats of blood boil at the end?

In the room:
"How inconvenient for you. What's your role here?"
Edmond tenses noting less-then-slight resemblance to a vampire, his eyes flashing in the hues of the rainbow.

"We need the youngster there. You're old enough to know adventurers don't go away without getting what they want or fight."
He turns slightly toward more negotiator oriented party members.

Last edited:

Dr Simon

Explorer
"How inconvenient for you. What's your role here?"
Edmond tenses noting less-then-slight resemblance to a vampire, his eyes flashing in the hues of the rainbow.

"An advisor, nothing more," says the figure. "A tedious assignment that I pursue only out of loyalty to my leige-lord."

"We need the youngster there. You're old enough to know adventurers don't go away without getting what they want or fight."
He turns slightly toward more negotiator oriented party members.

"I thought that might be the case," says the figure. "I also need him. However, I am not a fanatic like these cultists and assassins, nor do I take pleasure in my work unlike that pathetic dabbler in the necromantic arts. I will make you a trade - my life for his. Let me walk free and unmolested - my work here is as good as done and my goals are my own and of no danger to you or this city, as I say I merely work here at the behest of others. In exchange, you may have the boy."

OOC: Forgot to mention before - you haven't done anything to the vats of raw blood veil yet. Maybe throwing in something from Rolth's workshop would mess it up. An appropriate skill check might help with ideas.

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
Ignatius looks from Edmond to the strange man. That he appears to be pleased that Rolth is gone is rather concerning. "My friend here is correct," begins the ifrit. "We really must see that this young gentleman is returned to his family. You seem the professional sort, someone who understands that from time to time a work project does not work out as one may have hoped. I am afraid this is one of those times. Nothing personal, you understand. In fact, as you clearly were no great fan of the necromancer who has just recently met his end, perhaps you could view our taking this young man with us in light of having removed that hassle from your daily routine." Hopefully the man is swayed by that, though Ignatius is not entirely optimistic.
Diplomacy: 1d20+14=25
Knowledge (Religion): 1d20+8=10

OOC: So I guess he has at least a small chance of success at swaying the man. However, it completely fails to dawn on him that he man be of supernatural sorts, hehehe... Anyway, while Ignatius already has a ring of protection and the cloak would be of some help to his generally terrible saves, he is probably not the sort of press for anything right now.

OOC: Errr... Perhaps we could view this as having been said before Dr. Simon updated while I was composing, hehehe...

Last edited:

Kaodi

Hero
"We will spare you, yes," says Ignatius. "We were planning on departing momentarily. However, while I suppose you will not be willing to give us any cryptic hints about the identity of your liege-lord or whether they reside in the city, perhaps you could, say, enlighten us as to what else awaits within these halls?"

Axel

First Post
Mhairi

Mhairi raises an eyebrow at Edmond before going through the northern door. "Street learning is it going to be? I don't call the stuff behind your eyes inside learning..." Rolling her eyes, she continues to hold out the identified items for anyone that wants them. "If nobody wants the cloak I think it looks sexy. Way better than the cold back I've got now. But if that weirdo was using it, I'd rather take it home and clean it first... She shivers a little at the thought of what might have got on it in Rolff's posession.

Inside the room...
Mhairi loiters at the back of the group. Who is this guy? And the naked man on the table? If he wants to go without a fight, why should I stop him? Reading the mood of the group, hopefully correctly, she pipes up. "Don't let the door hit you on the arse on the way out...guess you know the way?"

[sblock=loot diversion]
Mhairi will show/share pretty much everything except the small gemstones. She'll hide those until she knows what everyone else is planning to do. She is also cautious by nature, well, where it concerns physical danger anyway. She'll resist using any of the items, especially if they're unknown and of dubious magical nature, until we know more about 'em.

Precisely 0 ranks in UMD. I never seem to remember to take it... Perhaps Edmond (and the rest of the party) can "teach" her more about magic next level?

Incidentally, what did we do with the loot pile from the warehouse? I vaguely recall a magical rapier, bane vs humans which could be unspeakably brutal... In a tabletop game, a most satisfying weight of d6's being rolled. :devil:
[/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Though his suspicions of the nature of the old "man" incite him to rage Manachan recognizes that sometimes discretion truly is the better part of valor, and he holds his peace.

[sblock=Loot Division]Of the items listed, Manachan's only likely to be interested in the headband and possibly the wand.[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]MANACHAN AINGEALI CR 4
Male Aasimar (MCP) Monk 2 Sorcerer 3
LG Medium Outsider (Native)
Init +6; Senses Darkvision; Perception +13
--------------------
DEFENSE
--------------------
AC 21, touch 17, flat-footed 18. . (+4 armor, +2 Dex, +1 deflection, +1 dodge)
hp 40 (2d8+3d6+5)
Fort +5, Ref +6, Will +9
Defensive Abilities Evasion; Resist acid 5, cold 5, electricity 5, fire 5
--------------------
OFFENSE
--------------------
Spd 30 ft.
Melee Masterwork Silver Dagger +6 (1d4/19-20/x2) and
. . Nunchaku +5 (1d6+1/20/x2) and
. . Nunchaku +5 (1d6+1/20/x2) and
. . Silver Dagger +5 (1d4/19-20/x2) and
. . Unarmed Strike FoB +4/+4 +5 (1d6+1/20/x2)
Ranged Crossbow, Heavy +5 (1d10+1/19-20/x2)
Special Attacks Flurry of Blows +4/+4 BAB +1, Heavenly Fire (7/day)
Spell-Like Abilities Daylight (1/day)
Sorcerer Spells Known (CL 5, +5 melee touch, +5 ranged touch):
1 (7/day) Magic Missile, Mage Armor (DC 16), Bless, Chill Touch (DC 16)
0 (at will) Resistance (DC 15), Read Magic (DC 15), Daze (DC 15), Touch of Fatigue (DC 15), Prestidigitation (DC 15)
--------------------
STATISTICS
--------------------
Str 11, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 16, Cha 18
Base Atk +2; CMB +4 (+5 Grappling); CMD 19 (21 vs. Grapple)
Feats Arcane Strike, Dodge, Eschew Materials, Improved Grapple, Improved Initiative, Improved Unarmed Strike, Monk Weapon Proficiencies, Stunning Fist (2/day) (DC 15), Weapon Finesse
Traits Magical Knack: Sorcerer
Skills Acrobatics +6, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +6, Escape Artist +6, Heal +7, Intimidate +9, Perception +13, Sense Motive +9, Spellcraft +4, Stealth +6, Use Magic Device +8
Languages Celestial, Common
SQ AC Bonus +3, Celestial, Celestial Sorcery, Ring of Jumping, Stunning Fist (Stun) (Ex), Unarmed Strike (1d6)
Combat Gear Bolts, Crossbow (20), Crossbow, Heavy, Masterwork Silver Dagger, Nunchaku, Nunchaku, Silver Bolts, Crossbow (5), Silver Dagger; Other Gear Grappling hook, Potion of Cure Serious Wounds, Rations, trail (per day) (8), Ring of Jumping, Ring of Protection, +1, Rope, silk (50 ft.), Sack (10 @ 15 lbs), Smokestick (4), Thunderstone (4)
--------------------
TRACKED RESOURCES
--------------------
Bolts, Crossbow - 0/20
Daylight (1/day) (Sp) - 0/1
Heavenly Fire (7/day) (Sp) - 0/7
Masterwork Silver Dagger - 0/1
Potion of Cure Serious Wounds - 0/1
Rations, trail (per day) - 0/8
Silver Bolts, Crossbow - 0/5
Silver Dagger - 0/1
Smokestick - 0/4
Stunning Fist (2/day) (DC 15) - 2/2
Thunderstone - 0/4
--------------------
SPECIAL ABILITIES
--------------------
AC Bonus +3 The Monk adds his Wisdom bonus to AC and CMD, more at higher levels.
Arcane Strike As a swift action, add +1 damage, +1 per 5 caster levels and your weapons are treated as magic for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction.
Celestial Summoned creatures gain DR 1/evil.
Celestial Sorcery Aasimar sorcerers with the Celestial bloodline treat their Charisma score as 2 points higher for all Sorcerer class abilities.
Damage Resistance, Acid (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Acid attacks.
Damage Resistance, Cold (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Cold attacks.
Damage Resistance, Electricity (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Electricity attacks.
Damage Resistance, Fire (5) You have the specified Damage Resistance against Fire attacks.
Darkvision (60 feet) You can see in the dark (black and white vision only).
Daylight (1/day) (Sp) Daylight once per day.
Eschew Materials Cast spells without materials, if component cost is 1 gp or less.
Evasion (Ex) If you succeed at a Reflex save for half damage, you take none instead.
Flurry of Blows +4/+4 BAB +1 (Ex) Make Flurry of Blows attack as a full action.
Heavenly Fire (7/day) (Sp) Ranged touch attack deals 1d4 divine damage/healing
Improved Grapple You grapple at +2, with no attacks of opportunity allowed.
Improved Unarmed Strike Unarmed strikes don't cause attacks of opportunity, and can be lethal.
Magical Knack: Sorcerer +2 CL for a specific class, to a max of your HD.
Ring of Jumping This ring continually allows the wearer to leap about, providing a +5 competence bonus on all his Jump checks.

Faint transmutation; CL 2nd; Forge Ring, creator must have 5 ranks in the Jump skill; Price 2,500 gp.
Stunning Fist (2/day) (DC 15) You can stun an opponent with an unarmed attack.
Stunning Fist (Stun) (Ex) At 1st level, the monk gains Stunning Fist as a bonus feat, even if he does not meet the prerequisites. At 4th level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the monk gains the ability to apply a new condition to the target of his Stunning Fist. This conditio
Unarmed Strike (1d6) The Monk does lethal damage with his unarmed strikes.
--------------------
Silken hair the color of spun gold; eyes the dark blue of deep ocean but shot through with silver; skin the hue of milk with just a hint of chocolate. Manachan was a sensation among his much darker Varisian clan – plainly proof that their kapenia showed true and that their line was descended from divinity.

The Aingeali clan claims descent in direct line from Irori himself, though the claim has been disputed by many. The birth of Manachan, with his very unusual coloring, has been taken as proof by his parents and others of the clan. In many ways, the young man had a charmed childhood.

However, the pressure on him to live up to his ancestor’s divine example has been tremendous, and has led to great internal conflict between the wild ways of his nationality and the discipline espoused by his perfect ancestry. In an effort to resolve this conflict, Manachan left his clan at the age of 13 to enter a small monastery devoted to Irori. He has spent the last four years there, training relentlessly and learning that the path to perfection requires, for him at least, a balance between freedom and discipline, and carefully maintained contradiction between his clan’s nature and his ancestor’s teachings. Adding to his difficulties, about a year after entering the monastery his sorcerous abilities manifested. The instinctual nature of his magic disrupted even further the strict discipline required by the teachings of the monks.

Now 17 and finished with his studies at the monastery, Manachan has found that balance and been released into the world to continue his struggles toward perfection. A confident, outgoing young man with an easy humor and tremendous ability, he has found it fairly easy thus far to make his way.

Now at loose ends and with no instruction other than to find his own way to pursue his perfection, Manachan resolved to return to Korvosa – he had met a young scholar (Edmond) there on one of his errands for the monastery and they had struck a fast friendship. He was fascinated with the life of the sprawling city and decided that learning more of it would provide him some valuable lessons for his path.

Manachan dresses in dark, smoky oranges and forest greens, typically wearing a narrow kilt like wrap from the waist down and either going bare chested or donning a simple tunic – depending on weather and social requirements of his current location. He keeps his hair tied in a ponytail. Other than eyebrows his body is completely lacking secondary hair. He wears his bata strapped to his back, along with his crossbow. All of his other belongings he carries in a sack – to be dropped at a moment’s notice in case of a need to defend himself.[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: I can use everything listed, but would prefer protection items with cloak first, ring second (as I fail those saves much too often for comfort :) )
Edmond will advise against using the headband before it is analyzed, who knows what kind of communication/domination/divine connection may be in such.
UMD would be useful, since casters in this party seem to favor melee :)

"I am willing to grant you passage, but be careful to keep your word and leave my city. If we encounter you again in similar situation, I will consider your statement about not wishing ill to the city false." - Edmond speaks in his usual monotone, but his knuckles are white on Deathwails grip.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads