• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Time for Ceramic DM? (judge-free commentary thread NO JUDGES ALLOWED AS OF NOW :) )

orchid blossom

Explorer
Eeralai said:
I did like the Wimmel Nettlethrush name and Roonwick is cool. Good luck Zhaneel. I have trouble with names myself. We can't even come up with one for our baby that's due today. I hope your proposal goes well!

Congratulations! Maybe you'll be one of those people who just has to see the baby and the name will come to you like the baby already knew it.

Eeralai

First Post
Thanks! Our first born was named after we'd been with him a day, but at least then we had a handful of names picked out before he was born. This time we haven't done that. Sorry I haven't commented on the stories this time; I've been too spacy to read them. Maybe I will do that tonight since it looks like we will be playing the waiting game.

Berandor

lunatic
What about Wimmel Nettlethread for the baby? :)

Congratulations to your second (?) child!

Basically, I always named gnomes as either "friendly dwarves", i.e. something with crafts or metal, but in a funny way, or as "grown-up halflings", i.e. halfling names that are a little more serious in nature, or as "down-to-earth elves", i.e. flowery/foresty names lacking the grandeur of true elven names.

*But* I am notoriously bad with names. It's really a chore for me to come up with names for NPCs/literary characters.

Last edited:

BSF

Explorer
It will be our second child. I will point out that the name we ended up choosing for our son was not one we had on a list ahead of time. :)

I tend to think I am terrible at names as well. I tend to choose themes and work with those for the games I run. I think we will need to pass on Wimmel as a name for our next child. Especially if it's a girl :lol:

Macbeth

First Post
My parents had A-List names (the ones my Mom and Dad both liked), the B-List (the ones my Dad liked), and the C-List (the ones my Dad suggested just to annoy my mom). The C-List had names like Cuthbert, Burford, Scrooge, and things my Mom just rolled her eyes at. My parents had interesting choices in names: Sage, Summer and Asia are the names of my siblings and I. And we all got middle names from people my Dad admired: Alexander (as in Alexander the great), Whitman (Walt Whitman) and Marie (I have no idea who that's from, maybe Marie Currie).

Macbeth

First Post
BardStephenFox said:
Mmmmm Salsa! ;)
Speaking of salsa, my new room mate makes salsa almost as good as BSF's, and if you've ever tasted BSF's salsa, even coming close to it is quite an accomplishment. Mmmmmmmm...
Any E.T.A. on having salsa again, BSF? After tasting your salsa, it's hard to go back to store bought stuff. I know you're busy now, what with the baby coming, but that salsa is incredible.

BSF

Explorer
We had some garden fresh tomatoes this week. We might be able to swing some fresh salsa again soon. Maybe tonight? I've been craving salsa a lot lately so it is easy to convince me. :)

Names - For the game, I keep meaning to get some lists together for future quick reference. It would be a good thing to have in handy for writing too. There are a lot of cheap PDF's listing numerous names on RPGNow. If I were thinking clearer, that might have been useful to Zhaneel. Maybe not though. Without looking at the PDF, it is difficult to say. Obviously, baby name books are good. Especially if you can pick them up at a used bookstore. There are one or two thorough websites out there. They are not easy to browse, but they will have a breakdown on what the meaning of the name might be. For somebody like Macbeth, even looking through student lists at your university might provide a great range of names.

Now that I am done cross-referencing all the Ceramic DM stories, I will be trying to come back and read some of the stories I missed here. This late after the fact, would everyone still appreciate commentary?

Berandor

lunatic
Macbeth said:
My parents had A-List names (the ones my Mom and Dad both liked), the B-List (the ones my Dad liked), and the C-List (the ones my Dad suggested just to annoy my mom). The C-List had names like Cuthbert, Burford, Scrooge, and things my Mom just rolled her eyes at. My parents had interesting choices in names: Sage, Summer and Asia are the names of my siblings and I. And we all got middle names from people my Dad admired: Alexander (as in Alexander the great), Whitman (Walt Whitman) and Marie (I have no idea who that's from, maybe Marie Currie).
Your middle name is Marie?

And for my part, I would appreaciate commentary still. I think when you write something, you're grateful for any kind of commentary on it :)

Remove ads