• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Time for Ceramic DM? (judge-free commentary thread NO JUDGES ALLOWED AS OF NOW :) )

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
The past several rounds, orchid has almost immediately grabbed a notebook to jot down ideas. This time, late Sunday morning had come and she still had absolutely nothing.

Definately a very brutal set of pictures in their genericness.

BSF

Explorer
The pics this time were utterly brutal. I didn't realize that we should be looking for Rat Bastard Ceramic Judges. :D

The pictures were so generic that they would be easy to drop into almost any story. To some people, that might sound like it would be a good thing. The problem is that these are supposed to be illustrations for a story, not portraits for characters.

None of the pictures has any particular suggestion of action, or even friction. There is little inspiration coming from the pictures, but you must integrate them into the story. Whew! That's a tough demand. You want to avoid any throwaway pics, so you are going to have to develop the story around the pics in a way that makes each one vitally relevant. Or not, and hope your opponent didn't either. Ack! Deliciously difficult.

orchid blossom

Explorer
BardStephenFox said:
None of the pictures has any particular suggestion of action, or even friction. There is little inspiration coming from the pictures, but you must integrate them into the story.

That was the exact thing that drove me nuts.

Berandor said:
It's interesting that we both have our protagonists change into the "orc", and it's interesting both changes are involuntary. We really didn't want to use the orc as is, did we?

I was thinking about that today. I think we both did that because the pictures presented us with far too many characters to weave into the story. By making 2 pictures apply to one character, we could cut out the inclusion of another character, and make it important at the same time. Great minds think alike. ;)

BSF

Explorer
The presentation of characters from the pics is difficult to deal with at times. Each pic with a person suggests a character. It doesn't have to be that way, but it is harder to work with. During the April 2004 series, Piratecat seemed to choose lots of pics with characters. It made it challenging to keep a story concise while having multiple implied characters be relevant. Mind you, I am not complaining. It just presented a different perspective on the contest than what I had seen. Of course, I also took a picture of a guy with a buffalo in his kitchen and turned the buffalo and the man into major backstory characters. No accounting for taste, or my thought processes. :)
In any event, I think you are spot on with the desire to merge two pictures into one character. It makes it easier to create tension and to reduce the personalities involved with the story. I'm not entirely sure what Alsih2o was thinking when he chose those pics, but the results are interesting.

orchid blossom

Explorer
I can't say I know what Clay was thinking either, but I was thinking that I should have kept my mouth shut about getting things like airplanes and cars.

Berandor

lunatic
orchid blossom said:
I can't say I know what Clay was thinking either, but I was thinking that I should have kept my mouth shut about getting things like airplanes and cars.
me, too. Here I was complaining about "modern" stories, and then *bam*

Zhaneel

First Post
Okay, I'm not using this thread for its intended purpose. PC, please don't kill me. Basically you guys are people I feel like I can ask and didn't know how else to reach you all and what forum would be correct.

I am participating in the Eberron novel writing open call. And I am having the damnest time coming up with a name for one of my characters. I've got everyone else covered, but my gnome artificer is refusing to be named. He's currently labeled as "Whizbang". Ugh. So, a little help? I looked through the Eberron CS book, but it didn't give normal Gnome names. I have a copy of the PH, but I haven't been able to scrounge for a name there.

Anyone have favorite gnome names? Anyone want to help me learn the convention for gnome names? Please either PM me or tell me where to post this so I can get replies... or hijack the thread briefly. I mean if we can discuss salsa for five posts I hope this won't be a problem.

Again, I apologize for the thread hijacking.

BSF

Explorer
Mmmmm Salsa! ;)

Obviously a google search for Gnome Names will provide quite a variety. I am not overly familiar with Eberron. I have had a Gnomish NPC with the first name of Kasselwort, but I don't remember where I picked that up from.

Hmm, how about something like Willem Nettlethrush? Maybe he just goes by the name Nettle to his friends and foes?

EDIT: It's a hard call when you are doing a proposal, but can you give a little more insight into background for the character? Maybe there will be something suggestive of a name in the background? As I said, it is a tough call because you are doing a proposal.

Last edited:

BSF

Explorer
Bleah - bag the Willem. It sounds a bit too anglicized maybe. Swap some letters around and you have Wimmel. Wimmel Nettlethrush, just call me Nettle because if you make me mad I am a pain in your rear.

Maybe a bit garden gnomish?
Roonwick Sparklemoss

Wait, isn't there some porcelain maker named kimmel? Maybe Wimmel is not so clever.

Bah, I'm a bit stuck. Kasselwort has always been my favorite, but perhaps that is part of the reason why I have so few Gnomish NPC's. I'll see if I can dig up my 2nd Ed Complete Halflings & Gnomes Handbook late tonight for more ideas.

Oh, Zhaneel, you are always free to email me. davidmoore @ zianet.com.

Eeralai

First Post
Hey BSF! Don't start giving your names away. Then I'll have to rewrite my book! ;)

I did like the Wimmel Nettlethrush name and Roonwick is cool. Good luck Zhaneel. I have trouble with names myself. We can't even come up with one for our baby that's due today. I hope your proposal goes well!

Remove ads