D&D 5E How on earth is this balanced?! Twilight cleric, more in-play evidence

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
I don't allow summoner type archetypes in the party.

Best case scenario they choke up combat and slow everything down.

Worst case you get something like your description.
I don't think I would again... or if I did I would put a strict limit on the number of beings summoned. Summon one fat elemental? Sure I'm cool with that. You have 11 skeleton archers? eeeerrrrm no.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The CD, darkvision, spells, martial weapons, and heavy armor are all the type of things that boost the party without making the cleric itself look actively busted and allow the party to breeze through encounters.

And those are exactly the type of mechanics that will make an inexperienced DM ramp up the difficulty and TPK the party accidentally.

OP defeses nudges DMs into samey tactics in order to provide challenge.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
I've heard that from a number of people. I'm very disappointed with the alchemist. I haven't seen any of them in play to be frank. (and yet I've seen shepherd druid, bladesigner, rune knight, hexblades... strange how that goes).
The Alchemist sucks, but the other subclasses are perfectly fine, IME and IMO. I currently have an Eberron campaign with a Warforged Battlesmith that is a great support character and good damage dealer, and have also had experiences with Artillerists and Armorers being effective in one-shots and short campaigns.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Not every encounter has an enemy spellcaster, or anyone good at dealing with the backline really.
That's fine though, not every encounter should. But in other encounters this ability may not be as powerful as it otherwise seems as the cleric can be otherwise dealt with. I'm not saying it isn't, damage mitigation can be incredible, but it is also something that can be dealt with in some encounters whereas in others it's the cleric's chance to shine.

It sounds overpowered.

How much though is because a lot of equivalent type abilities are also underpowered.

I've found damage mitigation and healing abilities in 5e to be generally not that worrthwhile.

Zardnaar

Legend
I've heard that from a number of people. I'm very disappointed with the alchemist. I haven't seen any of them in play to be frank. (and yet I've seen shepherd druid, bladesigner, rune knight, hexblades... strange how that goes).

The battlesmith is the best of them and I thought it was totally underwhelming.

Alchemist is an outright failure of a class.

The artificer might get good later on around level 10 but that's toate and doesn't look that great.

Zardnaar

Legend
I don't think I would again... or if I did I would put a strict limit on the number of beings summoned. Summon one fat elemental? Sure I'm cool with that. You have 11 skeleton archers? eeeerrrrm no.

Summoners only good in a small group. That's purely on pacing irl.

Larger groups you get things like side effects interns of interactions with class abilities.

Zardnaar

Legend
It sounds overpowered.

How much though is because a lot of equivalent type abilities are also underpowered.

I've found damage mitigation and healing abilities in 5e to be generally not that worrthwhile.

It's damage mitigation at alow cost in top of other great abilities eg bonus action flying not requiring a spell or Concentration.

Decent domain spells and still a cleric as well.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases