Paragon Revision Discussion Thread

dante58701

Banned
Banned
Ok, given that the paragon is tightly linked with the Amidah I gave it some thought and came up with this half-strength variation of the Amidah.

I took into consideration the Amidah's nastier abilities and made it so that even an Amidah would have to remain at least somewhat wary of paragons.

I gave the paragon Inner Eye because it allows the paragon to counter the Amidah's Evil Eye ability, which was changed when Krusty made Ascension.

While this is certainly a homebrew paragon template. I decided to post it for constructive criticism and perhaps some ideas.

I'm going to playtest it soon, but I'm concerned about the challenge rating and level adjustment. I'm unsure how accurate they are.

I'm also interested in seeing other peoples variations on the paragon.

Paragon (Perfect One)

Creating a Paragon

“Paragon” is a template that can be added to any creature (referred to hereafter as the base creature).

The paragon uses all the base creature’s statistics and special abilities except as noted here.

Size and Type: Animals or vermin with this template become magical beasts, but otherwise the creature type is unchanged. Size is unchanged.

Hit Dice: A paragon uses d20's for Hit Dice and always has maximum hit points per die.

Speed: All movement speeds are tripled.

Armor Class: A paragon retains the armor bonuses of the base creature and acquires the following.

- Deflection Bonus (Ex): A paragon gains a deflection bonus equal to it's Charisma modifier.

- Luck Bonus (Ex): A paragon gains a +30 luck bonus to it's armor class (see Fortuity).

Special Attacks: A paragon retains all the special attacks of the base creature and gains those described below. Save DCs are 10 + 1/2 the paragon's Hit Dice/Level + the paragon's Charisma modifier + 30 (see Fortuity), unless noted otherwise.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): At will - limited wish. Caster Level equals Hit Dice/Level + 30 (see Fortuity).

Special Qualities: A paragon retains all the special qualities of the base creature and also gains the following.

- Damage Reduction (Ex): A paragon gains damage reduction 75/cursed and epic.

- Fast Healing (Ex): A paragon gains fast healing 50.

- Fortuity (Ex): A paragon adds a +30 luck bonus to: armor class; attack rolls; checks (ability checks, caster level checks, skill checks, turning checks); damage rolls; difficulty class (for any special abilities, spell-like abilities, spells); initiative; saving throws; spell resistance; and turn resistance (if applicable).

- Inner Eye (Ex): A paragon can bend fate to it's will. A paragon always gains the best dice rolls in any given situation. However, a natural '20' is not an automatic success when using this ability.

- Resistances (Ex): A paragon gains resistance to cold 50 and fire 50.

- Spell Resistance (Su): A paragon gains spell resistance equal to 10 + Hit Dice/Level + 30 (see Fortuity).

Saves: A paragon gains a +30 luck bonus on all its saving throws (see Fortuity).

Abilities: A paragon gains a +37 bonus to all ability scores.

Skills: A paragon gains a +30 luck bonus on all it's skill checks (see Fortuity).

- Maven (Ex): A paragon has mastered many skills. A paragon gains maximum ranks in all it's class skills and half it's maximum in all cross class skills.

Feats: A paragon gains 5 bonus feats.

Organization: Any, usually same as the base creature.

Challenge Rating: Same as the base creature +26.

Treasure: Double standard.

Alignment: Any, usually same as the base creature.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +40.

Last edited:

Belzamus

First Post
The only problem I have with this, (and its a problem I have with every Immortals template so far) is the level adjustment. Even considering the massive bonuses, I just don't understand how this is better than 60 character levels.

I mean, I could be wrong, but it seems to me like a Paragon Fighter 40 would be vastly inferior to a Fighter 100.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
A fighter 60 should have this template, at the very least. I think Alabaster was an exception as his level doesn't match the Amidah template's level adjustment.

Hey all! :)

Tried posting this last night but ENWorld timed me out again. :(

I think the best way of judging the template is seeing it on a monster/npc and then rating it to another monster of the same CR (probably an dragon from the IH, since you are bound to get a similar CR amongst all those).

dante58701 said:
A fighter 60 should have this template, at the very least. I think Alabaster was an exception as his level doesn't match the Amidah template's level adjustment.

Levels don't need to match, just be higher than the ECL of the Template. Although usually you try and set them fairly equal (as you say) to give people an entry level monster/NPC.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
o_O So then...I pass? lulz

What would be my grade mighty guru of epic? A? B? C? D?

Anyway =^.^= is it a good template for paragons? Or does it need something?

Hey dante mate! :)

dante58701 said:
o_O So then...I pass? lulz

What would be my grade mighty guru of epic? A? B? C? D?

Anyway =^.^= is it a good template for paragons? Or does it need something?

I think that you should leave the Paragon as is. Basically I don't think the Paragon, or the Amidah are great templates. They are sort of bland, power-filling quick-fix templates for those looking an alternative to immortality.

dante58701

Banned
Banned
=^.^= I always kinda liked them myself. They make sense. =^.^=

Of course I don't see them as an alternative to immortality. There just isn't an alternative to immortality.

Even immortal's can be paragons.

Side Question (Off Topic)

Shuriken

When throwing shuriken in excess of 2 (one per hand), how exactly does one throw more without having to draw them?

Do they draw and fire off shuriken?

Do they hold gobs of shuriken in their hands?

Do they juggle the shuriken?

Or does it depend on the type of shuriken?

Examples: Deck of Cards + Eclectic Shot, Needle shuriken, Star Shuriken, ect.

How exactly does this work when you can throw 36 shuriken in a single round (it is possible with the proper feats...we have a shuriken monkey in our gaming group).

Also...do deities get a divine bonus to damage? Because if they do...it isn't listed under their divine bonus for any deity.

Last edited:

Howdy! )

I imagine you could explain the shuriken any of the ways you suggested.

Of course shuriken don't deal that much damage (relative to other weapons) so I imagine they are fairly weak against damage reduction of most opponents?

dante58701

Banned
Banned
This is very true until you start using adamantine/orichalcum shuriken possessed by devils that are bound to serve you until the day you die.

Remove ads