D&D Movie/TV D&D: Honor Among Thieves Open Discussion [Full Spoilers]

Cruentus

Adventurer
Saw it this am with my son (13), both enjoyed it immensely, discussed all sorts of what ifs and future plot points (and plot holes). It felt just about right, given that you can’t ever please the entire fan base.

I’m now going to do more research on the Red Wizards…

zero chemistry between Simon and Doric
Doric didn't have chemistry with anyone, which had to be a direction issue since the actress is definitely capable of it, and the directors were content with that performance.

I'm not sure what they were trying to go for making that choice for her character. The distrust of humans thing wasn't even relevant in the movie.

Undrave

Legend

Did not make opening week projections. Being called a flop.

I specifically did not attend opening weekend as a reaction to the OGL mess they created.
Being called a flop by 'Giantgreakinrobot.com'...

Why don't you read Variety instead for a more nuanced position. It was anticipated to land between 30 and 40 million on its opening weekend and it almost reached 40 million. That's not a flop, that's within expectations. It's also 70% of what Shazam 2 has brought in so far. In one weekend.

And let’s not forget that most of the Midwest was hit by massive tornadoes at the end of last week, leaving devastation, death and power outage all over the place. Dunno about you, but that MIGHT have made some folks less likely to go to the movie theatre over the weekend.

That article appeared in my Facebook feed. I am well aware of click bait titles. The fact is that movies generally need to gross 2x their cost to start making enough profit to be worth it. Hasbro is trying to sell eOne and needed a very good result. Not covering the cost of their major release is not a good result.
Yeah and movies don’t make that money back over a single weekend.

J-H

Hero
Doric didn't have chemistry with anyone, which had to be a direction issue since the actress is definitely capable of it, and the directors were content with that performance.

I'm not sure what they were trying to go for making that choice for her character. The distrust of humans thing wasn't even relevant in the movie.
Do we really need yet another romance subplot cluttering up the story?
IMO most movies would be better without it. This one was.

JohnSnow

Hero
It feels like a leftover from another version of the script, for sure. There are certainly ways for those two know each other other than romance.
I mean, I thought it felt like the half-hearted attempt players make at connecting their PCs in an adventuring party by coming up with an intricate but entirely irrelevant backstory - in other words; exactly like most characters in a game of Dungeons & Dragons.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I mean, I thought it felt like the half-hearted attempt players make at connecting their PCs in an adventuring party by coming up with an intricate but entirely irrelevant backstory - in other words; exactly like most characters in a game of Dungeons & Dragons.
"You saved me when those bandits were going to kill me in the forest" would have worked, too. But like @J-H, I'm generally against shoehorning romance in to movies that already have plenty of other things going on.

Remove ads