GREYHAWK CY963 GOLDEN ERA CAMPAIGN: HEROES OF DYVERS: CHAPTER 4

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir engages Vale

When Lathir finishes his morning ritual, he returns to the company of the group, being informed that a scout party has departed from the fort below.

Aust Thale said:
Upon seeing the patrol leave the garrison, Vale quietly nudges Lathir, "You want to try a similar approach as yesterday? We are going to lose our surprise when they come back. It will take some three or four hours before they find them, and the same on the return trip. Either way, we are going to have to deal with them. This is the urgent before the important."
Lathir carefully surveys the departing company of foes.
"I can shift into a bird and fly from here to get ahead of that crew to lay an effective trap. Some kind of unobtrusive bird not likely to attract attention, say a vulture. I will set the trap close to where that scout party would be coming up on the other group we eliminated. Others of you will be able to hit them from behind while I have them distracted.

Are we all in agreement, here
?"

OOC: Lathir's New Spell List:
Detect Magic
Ensnare
Bull Strength
Light
Cure Light
Lesser Restore
Read Magic
Produce Flame
Heat Metal
Purify
Speak w/ Animals
Cat's Grace
Cure Moderate
Cure Serious
Call Lightning Storm
Neutralize Poison
Dispel Magic
Cure Critical
Remove Disease
Flame Strike
Rock to Mud
Magic Fang
Ice Storm
Tree Stride
Spike Growth
Repel Vermin
Wall of Fire
Rusting Grasp
Wall of Thorns
Spike Stones

Last edited:

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar agrees with Lathir and looks at Tam... Lets take care of the patrol and we will handle the Fortress and Orcs when we get back.... he looks at Lathir...light a fire as part of your distraction... then he address the whole group... when we get there, turn your eyes away from the fire Lathir lights. I will cast my spell and blind the patrol, making it very easy for us to finish them off.

OOC: Sylvar Spell list
1st Level Spells Known:

1. Comprehend Languages
2. Expeditious Retreat
3. Grease
4. Animate Rope

1. Cure Mod Wounds
2. Pyrotechnics
3. Summon Swarm
4. Mirror Image

1. Summon Monster III
2. Blink
3. Invisibility Sphere

OOC: When we get back.

1) we burrow into the fortress and rob them blind using my invisibility sphere spell to remain out of sight. While there we steal some sort of oil and cover the place in oil and light it on fire. We clean up stragglers.

2) I cast invisibility sphere on Tam, he goes in by himself and spreads oil all over the place, ties the doors shut then lights the place up with a fire arrow, we clean up the ones who manage to get out. At worst everyone gets out and they have to set up a new base of operations. At best we manage to kill or damage most of them and we have an easy fight of it.

BUUUT there is the matter of the Orc camp.

I can conjure a rat swarm to attack the camp. They will cause physical and disease damage.

Sorry GM, too much for me to type into LINE messenger.

Last edited:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
After preparing my spells for the day, I rejoin the others. "I agree that we should kill these stragglers. The fewer we have to fight at one time, the better. We have enough food to allow us to pick them off bit by bit. Soon, they will increase the size of the group they send to check on the others. Either that or they will go on high alert and we will have no chance to attack them safely," I finish with a shrug.

Sylvar B.

Explorer
The group follows a path that will bring them up behind the new patrol. They stay far enough behind that they will not be seen, but close enough that when the patrol stops Respen's Raiders will find themselves behind the patrol in a few moments.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM: WEATHER ALERT

As the party begins to backtrack along the switchback, following the Ogres and Orcs, thunder is heard overhead, and it starts to rain once more. The rain is heavier than a sprinkle, but it's not yet a complete downpour, and it's steady and consistent.

GM:
Ok, you guys need to decide:

a) Who goes where.
b) What traps are set and how.
c) What spells are cast and where.
d) Any other details of your planned ambush.

Discuss it on LINE, then have ONE party member ("The Caller") post the party's intentions.

[sblock=What's a Caller?]
000 - Organizing a Party 001.png
[/sblock]

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir Declares Action

Lathir -
"Since there is no objection I intend to fly from here and get ahead of the departing scout party. Once that party arrives just short of the intersection with the demise of the previous party, I intend to cast Spike Growth centered on the center of their group, while I am still flying in the form of a vulture. Once that is complete I intend to cast Stone Spikes in the same area. From there, I will decide based on the damage those two have caused."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Druidical Ambush!

Ok, this is a map showing the marching order of the patrol within the ravine.

The light, sand-colored squares are the canyon walls.

The gray and brown squares show muddy rock / shale (gray) and the muddy, clay road (brown.)

OOC: As discussed in our LINE app chat, Lathir can surround the patrol with spikes on all sides. The first spell will occur during a surprise round, and the second spell will occur during round 1. Since the patrol has no idea that the vulture overhead is the source of the attack, Lathir automatically wins initiative for Round 1.

GM:
The patrol left the fort at 9:40 AM. Lathir realizes that ambushing them EARLIER will be more advantageous, so he ambushes them just after they reach the switchback, at 11:40 AM. There is still almost three miles of twisting ravine between the ambush site and the fort, so the distance, coupled with the sound of the rain, will conceal the fate of the patrol.

00-Muddy-Road-Ambush-Base-Map-001.png

GM:
Surprise Round: Lathir casts Spike Growth. Patrol blunders into it for 1d2 squares.

First Round: Lathir casts Stone Spikes in the same area. Patrol tries to exit the way they came, moving 1 square backwards. After discovering that they are trapped, they must succeed on a morale check, with a DC equal to the average DC of Lathir's two spells. (Taking Average: 19+20 = 39, avg = 19.5, round down to 19.) Rolling Morale (WIS check) for each group as a whole (Orcs, Ogres): Orcs: (14) Fail; Ogres (11) Fail. The spell is scary, and the patrol panics.

Second Round: Patrol moves 1d2 more squares before realizing that flight is futile.

Initial Blunder: Patrol moves 2 squares through Spike Growth.
Retreat Movement: Patrol moves 1 square through both spells (Spike Growth and Stone Spikes.)
Panic: Patrol moves 2 squares through both spells.

Damage inflicted: Initial Blunder: 2d4 (3 pts.); Retreat: 1d8+1d4 (8 pts.); Panic: 2d4+2d8 (9 pts.); Every patrol member suffers a total of 20 pts. damage, which means ALL OF THEM are still alive, albeit SERIOUSLY INJURED. (Especially the Orcs, none of whom have the desire now to move.)

Saving throws: Ogres (7) Fail; Orcs (5) Fail; All patrol members suffer grievous wounds to their legs that slows their movement by 1/2 for 24 hours. I did not roll for both spells, because the effects overlap, rather than stack. If they had made their saves for the spell, they would have had to roll for the second spell. But since they all failed the first spell, the second save is a moot point.

Spell Duration (Both spells): 9 Hours.

OOC: End of part one; part two coming soon.

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Tam-Tam, eager to get into the action, asks to ride with one of the others (the "big people"), who can successfully control a full-sized horse, he only able to ride a Mastiff Mount or War Pony, at best.

"Friend Sylvar, or Friend Red, may I ride with you? I could be ready to fire as we approach them. What say you?

redraider629

Explorer
Thallok looks at Tam smiles and says, "you are more than welcome to ride with me my little friend."

Kleborn hops on a horse and says, "let's ride lads."

Last edited:

Remove ads