D&D 5E (OOC) Rise of the Dracolich (Full)

tglassy

Adventurer
That Wall spell + Hunger of Hadar is brutal. I know the DM would just have whoever's inside try to attack the wall, be it a Force Wall, Telekinetic Barrier, Ice wall, Stone wall, or whatever, but in reality what person inside icy cold blackness, unable to see, being attacked by slimy, acidic tentacles, would actually think to ATTACK the wall they bump into? i think they'd actually just bounce off it and go in another direction. If you could block off the whole thing, they'd just die of fright/cold/acid. Maybe a few would think to attack the barrier, but they don't know what the barrier is, for all they know it's just the wall. They can't see it. They may pound on it, but that's not the same as attacking it. That's more like knocking.

DM can rule what he wants, but I'd just have them all die in there. I think we found a very potent combination.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
It does seem pretty nasty. I figure some would stay, thinking they had the right place and some would try to wander off. But, imagine trying to wade from one end to the other of that thinking they could just get out that way only to find the way blocked and have to try to wade back the way they came? A 40' diameter circle of difficult terrain has got to catch more than one of them for at least one full turn. And no way to know which way 'is' out.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
It might be tricky to line it up perfectly. Would the spell damage the wall if the wall is slightly inside?

That being said, walls win fights. And this is a particularly devastating use!

tglassy

Adventurer
It would depend on how the grid was used, I guess. Can you be in one five foot square and have only part of it be in the darkness and let if it not? With a sphere you could, but using a grid based map makes that troublesome.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Generally very few things fully occupy a 5' square. It's a very approximate measurement two melee combatants certainly DON'T take up TWO of them, but can also take up MORE space when they clash as well.

I agree with Ancalagon that if you imagine that the monsters can't see anything at all between the Darkness and the Wall, then the Darkness would be eating at the wall where they meet (and the wall taking damage).

Of course, I am also willing to keep most of that kind of thing as fluff. After all, anything that does not occupy the same space as the spell is not going to take any damage, so why should the wall?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
... So I've sat down to actually do it, and I've noticed a few things worth mentioning: Obviously, the 40' wall can't wrap all the way around the 20' radius sphere. This would be why tglassy mentioned wrapping it back on itself, I assume. So it's only going to be effective in stopping them from running FORWARD, not from running away. Of course, they barely know what's going on.

Another note on Hunger of Hadar: This is the kind of spell that would give PTSD to people who see it in use. It might be powerful, but it's very likely to colour the way NPCs look at the caster (and the party in general). I can see people having an easier time justifying the Necromancy, which is notoriously unpopular itself.

tglassy

Adventurer
I'd rather it keep them from coming forward than keep them from going back. It depends on where it lands in the room and how the grid is covered, but definitely keep them from coming to us.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
... So I've sat down to actually do it, and I've noticed a few things worth mentioning: Obviously, the 40' wall can't wrap all the way around the 20' radius sphere. This would be why tglassy mentioned wrapping it back on itself, I assume. So it's only going to be effective in stopping them from running FORWARD, not from running away. Of course, they barely know what's going on.

Another note on Hunger of Hadar: This is the kind of spell that would give PTSD to people who see it in use. It might be powerful, but it's very likely to colour the way NPCs look at the caster (and the party in general). I can see people having an easier time justifying the Necromancy, which is notoriously unpopular itself.
This is why I had Kalorn - who's a pretty hard fellow - react like that. His magical education was very "meat and potatoes" , he didn't understand his warlock powers well. So to see another warlock do that is shocking. He wouldn't have batted an eye at incinerating the kobolds with a fireball.

Remove ads