Rokugan: Blood and Cherry Blossoms OOC

Festy_Dog

First Post
Just doing equipment now. I read back earlier in the thread about mithral being hard to come by in Rokugan, how much does that increase the cost of it by?

Festy_Dog

First Post
Well, here's the (almost) finished product. Any advice in regards to the character construction or background is quite welcome. I don't have a wish list or anything for the additional given items, anything creative and/or useful would be plenty satisfying. Once I'm given the green light (and made any suggested changes) I'll post it in the Rogues Gallery:

Name: Daidoji Kaji
Male Samurai 5 / Daidoji Bodyguard 1
Level:
Experience 15,001

Hair: Dyed White
Eyes: Brown
Height: 5’7’’
Weight: 154 lb

Str: 16 (6 points)
Dex: 14 (5 points, +1 at 4th lvl)
Con: 16 (10 points)
Int: 14 (6 points)
Wis: 12 (4 points)
Cha: 14 (6 points)

Clan: Crane
Honor: 2
Glory: 1
Languages: High Rokugani, Rokugani
HD: 5d10 + 1d12 + 21
Hit points: 73
Armor Class: 21 (+9 armour, +2 dex)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 20'
Void points: 2

BAB: +6/+1
-Melee: +9/+4
-Ranged: +8/+3

Saves
-Fortitude:
+9 (6 base + 3 con)
-Reflex: +3 (1 base + 2 dex)
-Will: +5 (4 base + 1 wis)

Feats
-Void Use:
ancestral feat
-Improved Initiative: 1st lvl
-Toughness: 2nd lvl Samurai bonus
-Dodge: 3rd lvl
-Weapon Focus (katana): 4th lvl Samurai bonus
-Quickdraw: 6th lvl

Skills
-climb
+7/4
-craft (calligraphy) +6/4
-diplomacy +9/5
-intimidate +7/5
-iaijutsu focus +14/8.5
-knowledge (law) +6/4
-listen +2/1
-ride +8/8
-sense motive +10/9
-spot +2/1
-swim +7/4

Class Abilities
-ancestral daisho:
Samurai ability
-defensive refocus: a Daidoji bodyguard can refocus while using the total defense action

Equipment 1165 koku
ancestral katana +1, focus
ancestral wakizashi
masterworked naginata
tanto
yumi
40 arrows
great armour +2
ring of sustenance
explorer's outfit
noble's outfit
calligraphy brush, inking stone, ink
scroll case
a few scrolls
signet ring
sealing wax
whetstone
heavy warhorse
+1 lamellar barding
bit and bridle
military saddle
saddle bags
5 noble's outfits (for Ayame)
miscellaneous expenses over time (500 koku)

Ancestors
Daidoji Yohko (-3):
Characters with Daidoji Yohko as an Ancestor inherit her devotion, and cannot be affected by Fear as long as they are aiding someone else. However, they can never knowingly abandon someone who needs their help. This includes championing courtiers in duels (whether or not you agree with them), always being the last to leave a battlefield of retreating men, and pursuing friends lost to the Shadowlands.

Advantages
Inner Gift: Danger sense (6):
The character with this Inner Gift cannot be ambushed, regardless of the circumstances or the skills of his opponents. He cannot be caught flat-footed, and sneak attack may not be used on him.
Quick (3): You're just faster than other folks. When determining Initiative, roll two dice and keep the higher.

Disadvantages
Can’t Lie (3):
A character with this disadvantage just can't tell a good lie. He is at –4 to any Bluff check.
Adult Dependent (1): You have someone who is completely dependent upon you. Who it is (a child, grandparent, etc.) is up to you, but they are helpless without you. Good examples of dependents include small children and aged grandparents, but a naive spouse could also be included as a dependent.
Lame (3): You have a crippled leg. Your base speed is decreased by 10 feet, and all Dexterity based skills are at –2.

Description
Kaji could have been be an imposing figure were it not for his limp and naturally kind disposition. He was not a large man, but there was a solidarity and purpose in him which justified his samurai status. Aside from his limp he was characterised by dark brown eyes, a fair complexion and dyed white hair common among the Daidoji. He was not exceptionally attractive, but he was a charismatic man, and always made an effort to be polite. His wife, Ayame, was an exceptionally attractive women in her early twenties, of small build with brown hair and hazel eyes. She had a keen sense of fashion and loved entertaining guests, but she was incredibly naive, making her very dependent on her husband. She was also quite inquisitive, and tended to become excessively fretful when she knew her husband would be at risk of harm. Thus when business took Kaji far from home he found himself bringing Ayame to ensure she didn't get into trouble during his absence.

Background
Kaji was born to be a yojimbo, and he gladly took that path. He possessed impressive reaction times, and a sixth sense about impending danger. This combined with the natural devotion inherited from one of his ancestors made him a daunting challenge for anyone who would desire to harm his master. He acquired considerable experience during the early days of his career, and was respected in his field. Kaji made his parents proud, as his father was a yojimbo before him and saw the potential in his son.

Kaji's parents, Daidoji Shikamaru and Yasuki Ritsuko had three children. Kaji was the middle child, the eldest was his brother Batou who was also a samurai and was heavily involved with the military, and the youngest was his sister Hakane, who became a courtier. Kaji on occasion had seen some military service with his brother, fighting in minor conflicts, but most of the time he protected a courtier by the name of Doji Kaiten. Kaiten may have had his share of illwishers, but it was not while protecting him that Kaji acquired his leg injury, it was while protecting an old friend of his. Kasuga Shino, a useful ally of Kaiten's from the Turtle clan, was visiting Kaiten so the two of them could make arrangements. On a particularly rainy day, while Kaiten and Shino were moving about town, an enemy of Shino's saw ample opportunity to make their move.

In hindsight, Kaji found the trap was set out intricately. Whoever's Shino's enemy was had originally intended for his death to look accidental in front of the many people in the street, and had gone to great lengths to make sure Shino was the only one who came to harm. As Shino crossed the street a scuffle started on the road opposite, and his yojimbo strode over to clear the way for his master. As this happened an acquaintane of Kaiten suddenly started appeared, starting conversation with Kaji's master. Shino stood close to the middle of the road, waiting for his bodyguard to give him the all clear. It was then that Kaji felt something, and he let his instincts react. He darted over to Shino and shoved him clear as a pair of paniced horses drawing a cart materialised out of the heavy rain. Kaji was trampled in the place of Shino, and lay bloody and broken in the wake of the cart, barely conscious. Had the horses failed, a less subtle means of killing Shino had been arranged, and half a dozen thugs exited a back alley intending to kill the Turtle courtier.

Shino's yojimbo acted swiftly and professionally in the wake of the initial attack, moving to protect his master. Kaiten's initial impression was that Kaji was dead, but the alarm bells were still going off in Kaji's head. His left leg had been mangled, but as the thugs closed in to attack he rose back up from the mud and fought alongside Shino's bodyguard. The combat was brief and brutal, Shino's bodyguard slew four of the thugs and Kaji, even in his state, slew the remaining two. Once the thugs were dealt with and the threat had passed, Kaji collapsed back into the mud, finally unconscious. Over time he was brought back to good health with magic, but his left leg was so badly damaged that the best effort could only allow him to keep it at a significantly decreased degree of functionality. Even after recovery his left foot pointed inward somewhat and he had a noticable limp.

Shino was deeply thankful for the actions of Kaiten's yojimbo, and gained such respect for Kaji that he arranged for him to marry his youngest daughter, Kasuga Ayame, who quickly came to adore the samurai who saved her dear father's life. Unfortunately, to this day Kaji is unsure of whether the marriage was just a convenient excuse for Shino to put his naive and somewhat difficult daughter into the care of someone else. Kaji grew to care deeply for Ayame nonetheless, and always did his utmost to ensure her well-being. Kaji resumed working for Doji Kaiten, and though he did not doubt his ability with the katana he felt himself as being less capable of the job than before due to his lack of speed. He began trying to compensate for it through improving his swordsmanship.

Last edited:

Dark Nemesis

First Post
Pyske and Festy Dog,
Your characters both look great! Go ahead and post them to the Rogues Gallery, and I will post an intro for them in the In Character Thread shortly.

I did not forget about bonus equipment, though. Let me know if these meet with approval; if they don’t, then I’ll be happy to come up with something else.

Psyke: How about an obsidian snake choker, with small rubies for eyes. It was given to you by Shosuro Takemono, one of the sensei of the Shosuro ninja school. Once per day, it can be commanded to bite you, which will confer one of the following abilities.
-When your character attempts to poison someone, the DC of the save is increased by your Int modifier.
-Confers a +4 Inherent bonus to Move Silent, Hide, or Poison Use.
-Grants +2 to Saves vs poison.

Festy Dog: For you, I was thinking of a katana scabbard, wrapped in blue and white silks. It was given to you as a gift by Shino after saving his life. Whenever Kaji draws it to defend the life of another, it confers a +2 sacred bonus to AC and attack.

Also, because mithral is rare, its cost is increased by 50%.

Fujaiwei: I am strongly encouraging people to have the Rokugan book, but it is not a requirement. There are some differences between the OA book and the Rokugan book, but most of it is cultural information, such as details about the families. As far as the party, we’ve got a monk, a courtier and a shugenja. I would not mind having another samurai in the party, though, if you were interested in playing one.

Gomez: There’s still room left! What sort of character were you thinking of?

Pyske

Explorer
I've added the choker to the character sheet, as well as a link to the character portrait, and posted in the Rogues Gallery thread.

I eagerly await the killing and the maiming that will surely follow.

fujaiwei

First Post
Oh ok, after reading through more of the thread and seeing the characters, I totally agree. I'll enjoy reading the game though. Have fun. :D

Dark Nemesis

First Post
Fujaiwei: There were a few people who did not have the Rokugan book, and did not seem to have difficulty in the game. I won't turn a person away just because they don't have a book. If you want to play, you are welcome to. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads