GREYHAWK CY963 GOLDEN ERA CAMPAIGN: HEROES OF DYVERS: CHAPTER 4

Waynan

Adventurer
Tam-Tam hops on the horse behind Thallok, pulls his bow from his shoulders to have at the ready and says:

"Ready when you are, Red."

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale Goes w/ Sylvar

~ Val, it seems as if we are wading into the fray again. ~

"Val, watch our flanks and our back please. Sylvar, if you do not mind, I shall ride along with you. We'll keep our distance until Lathir unleashes his traps. I shan't remain on the horse for long. As soon as we start our attack, we should dismount and keep the horses out of the range of their range weapons. The others that we encountered yesterday carried bows and the like, but we were close enough in that they didn't have a chance to hit back I don't want this group to be able to do that either. And though we relish wading into battle, our horses shouldn't have to. I brought rope to tie any we obtain as prisoners. "

Before getting on to the horse, Vale surveys their camp, making sure that everything is in its proper place, and observing carefully a mental image of it to know if it has been disturbed when they return.

Vale smiles. "It's time to beat the children."

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Druidical Ambush! (PART TWO)

The party comes down the end of the switchback at the beginning of the third round.

GM:
Map of Patrol Composition / Position:
[sblock=Previous Map, For Reference.]
00-Muddy-Road-Ambush-Base-Map-001.png
[/sblock]

GM:
Map of Party Position:
(Yellow areas indicate the limits of Lathir's spells.)

00-Muddy-Road-Ambush-Base-Map-001b.png

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Combat Preparations

GM:
Initiative Order For Round 3:

Dewydd: 25
Tam-Tam: 23a
Kleborn: 23b
Vale: 23c
Thallok: 20a

Orcs: 20b
Lathir: 17

Sylvar: 12
Ogres:

FYI: OTTER Rules of Initiative Order:

In the event of a tie initiative:

1) Elite NPCs (GA's discretion) are treated as PCs.
2) PCs always win ties vs. NPCs.
3) Ties between PCs are decided in order of highest Dex score.
4) In the case of tied PCs with identical Dex scores, look at natural Dex vs. magically enhanced Dex.
(Favoring natural Dex.)

5) If criteria 4 still results in a tie, then it is up to the GA to determine the order; there cannot be TRUE simultaneous action.

One suggested rule of thumb would be that these ties could be broken by a roll-off, or the GA might use some mundane method to decide, such as the first letter of the PCs' names (alphabetical order) or perhaps judging by physical characteristics (the small, light-weight Halfling can probably edge out the larger, bulkier, less-nimble-footed Dwarf, etc.)

GM:
Some guidelines for missile fire:

The entire encounter area (which spans two maps) is 26 squares (130 ft.) wide.
If you are at the extreme ends of the map, firing across it with a longbow will be at the second range increment, i.e., 111-220 ft., which is a -2 range penalty to hit.
If you are at the extreme ends of the map, firing across it with a shortbow will be at the third range increment, i.e., 121-180 ft., which is a -4 range penalty to hit.
If you can get to within 110 ft. with a longbow, or within 60 ft. with a shortbow, you will eliminate your range penalty.
For reference, the range between Sylvar and Pomarj Orc #4 = 14 squares (70 ft.)

DEWYDD: It's Your Turn! What Do You Do?

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Taking a five foot step down and forward one square, I draw the borrowed Elven Composite Longbow back to take aim at P4, P5, and P6. I will not switch from the initial target until it is downed.

OOC: First attack roll: 19. 8 damage if hit.
Second attack roll: 27. 8 damage if hit.
Third attack roll: 24 (natural 20), 20 to confirm. 24 damage if confirmed, 8 if not confirmed.

*Edited because I forgot the -2 from Whirling Frenzy to attack rolls. Normally in melee it's offset by the Strength bonus it gives, but these attacks are ranged.

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Dewydd Cleans House Once Again!

Dewydd takes a slight step diagonally forward, and lets loose on the trapped Orcs; it's like shooting fish in a barrel. They are almost completely helpless, and quite vulnerable to a few well-placed shots.

GM:
19 Hits. Orc #4 is down. [-6, Dying]
27 Hits. Orc #5 is down. [-6, Dying]
24/20 Confirms. Orc #6 is down. [-22, Dead.]

Two Orcs catch an arrow in the chest, and slump into unconsciousness, bleeding out among the spikes.
The third Orc catches an arrow in his left eye, killing him instantly.

As this is happening, the Ogres and remaining Orcs begin screaming at each other. From observation, it appears as if the lead Ogre is ordering a retreat, or perhaps a counter-attack. The other Ogres and Orcs yell back at him bitterly, obviously in disagreement.

GM:
Of course, since it's not either of the monster groups' turn, all they can do is talk. They still can't take action until their initiative comes up, no matter what they decide to do.

Current Positions:

00-Muddy-Road-Ambush-Base-Map-001c.png

TAM-TAM: It's Your Turn! What do you do?

Waynan

Adventurer
Tam-Tam quickly dismounts and moves to the diagonal square (let's call it northeast) of Dewydd, grabbing two of his new Elven arrows along the way --- nocking one, readying it to fire. He takes aim at Ogre 10, muttering to himself:

"By all the gods damned and blesséd, guide my darts and make them strike true."

Fires once: 16+4+1(magic elven arrow)=21
fires twice: 17+4+1 (magic elven arrow)=22

If these are hits:
First arrow: 7 hp
Second arrow: 2 hp (Ugh!)

Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tam-Tam Takes A Prisoner!

Tam dismounts Thallok's horse, leaping down to land lightly, as only a Halfling can, in the sandy mud; Tam trudges forward another 15 feet, just ahead of Dewydd, before drawing his bow, and letting his new Elven arrows take flight.

Both arrows thud into the Ogre's chest, although they do not sink as deep as Tam had hoped. The Ogre clutches desperately at the arrows, trying to pull them out, but he looks weak, and appears to be having trouble breathing. He wheezes loudly, coughs twice, and collapses, unconscious, although Tam's keen eyes notice that the Ogre is still breathing somewhat. Sylvar's earlier comment comes to Tam's mind, bringing a smile to his lips.

Sylvar said:
"I just had a thought, let's keep one Orc alive and question him..."

It was an Ogre, not an Orc, but it would serve the same purpose. They now had a prisoner.

GM:
Tam spends 5 ft. worth of movement to dismount Thallok's horse, landing in the square directly South (below) Thallok. [15 ft. of movement remaining.]
Distance to desired square = 10 more feet.
Sandy mud = 25% penalty. Adjusted distance = 10 x 1.25 = 12.5 = 12 feet.
Tam has just enough movement left to reach that square.
(21) = Hit
(22) = Hit
Damage = 7+2 = 9 pts. damage. Ogre is unconscious [0, Stable]

Current Positions:

00-Muddy-Road-Ambush-Base-Map-001d.png

KLEBORN: It's Your Turn! What Do You Do?

Last edited:

redraider629

Explorer
Kleborn dismounts, and grabs a composite bow along with a couple of arrows, and takes aim at Ogre #9, and fires.

first roll d20+10=23
Second roll d20+5=23

If first shot hits: 1d8+3=4
If second shot hits=8

GM:
Indeed, those shots hit.
Total Damage = 12 pts.
Ogre #9 is down. [-3, Dying]

GM:
Kleborn fires twice, admiring the heft and pull of the Elven Strongbow. (The name for such bows used by Elven archers, because they are known to have a heavy draw weight.)

The first arrow is slightly misplaced, thunking into the Ogre's left leg. He screams in pain as the arrow slams home.

The Ogre's scream is cut short by the second arrow, which catches him in the throat, turning his scream into a gurgle. The Ogre collapses immediately, his life's blood flowing from the neck wound like a river.

Current Positions:

00-Muddy-Road-Ambush-Base-Map-001e.png

VALE: It's Your Turn! What Do You Do?

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases