(OOC) Emerald City Knights

rangerjohn

Explorer
That is your prerogative of course, but I would like to remind everyone that this is not first come first served recruitment, nor have any submissions been even really reviewed much less selected.
Also please refer to my first post wherein I announced that I will preserving niche protection. Which means I will be striving for every character selected to have relevance within a team dynamic.
I just don't see what he would bring to the table. I expected her to better in combat, but she's better out of combat as well. Investigate, Perception, Invention, multimillionaire, contacts, super engineer form etc.

Graybeard

Explorer
My initial idea would have been an energy controller but now I am working on a couple of other concepts. One is a paragon, another is a weather controller, another is an animal totem, and the other is a wealthy thrillseeker. I will do each one and decide which one I want to submit.

Thanee

First Post
I just don't see what he would bring to the table. I expected her to better in combat, but she's better out of combat as well. Investigate, Perception, Invention, multimillionaire, contacts, super engineer form etc.

No need to get worried, really. Right now it is just a proposal.

As H4H said, if there are other characters, whose niche are - for example - the whole techy stuff, then I can easily narrow it down some (i.e. dropping the whole Inventor / Engineering stuff would be no problem, if someone else wants to play a character with that shtick, but if noone does, I see no harm in her being able to be useful in that field).

That really depends a lot on what other characters are there...

BTW, Fusion isn't particularily good at combat. She only has straightforward damage attacks (there are a lot more options than just that) and only few combat-related Advantages. I would consider her combat-abilities pretty average for the PL.

As for the skills... those are quite average, too. Only Technology and Vehicles are very good. +10 is useful, but not that much, when the maximum at the PL is +20.

Benefit: Wealth is mostly just fluff... it is the most useless Advantage, ever (because there is nothing useful in the game, that you can buy with money... everything costs PP ;)).

Bye
Thanee

Walking Dad

First Post
Okay so far we have
Player/Character/Niche/Status

Insight/Momentum/Energy Controller/Sheet needs review
Thanee/Fusion/Battlesuit/Sheet needs review
Walking Dad/Pulse or Clay or Greyhound/Energy Controller or Elemental or Speedster/Various Stages of Build
Voda Vosa/Paramax or Green Dragon/Alien Ooze or Martial Artist with Ki Powers/no sheet
Shayuri/unknown/Speedster/no sheet
Graybeard/none/none/no concept submitted
rangerjohn/Rook/Crimefighter/interest withdrawn

Thanks, this list is very helpful :)

[MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION] , are you still interested in the Speedster?

If not, I'm still undecided between Clay and Greyhound...
(both sheets are basically finished)

Pulse is out for being a Green Lantern rip-off without redeeming qualities.

In-depth backgrounds after my final decision :)

rangerjohn

Explorer
No need to get worried, really. Right now it is just a proposal.

As H4H said, if there are other characters, whose niche are - for example - the whole techy stuff, then I can easily narrow it down some (i.e. dropping the whole Inventor / Engineering stuff would be no problem, if someone else wants to play a character with that shtick, but if noone does, I see no harm in her being able to be useful in that field).

That really depends a lot on what other characters are there...

BTW, Fusion isn't particularily good at combat. She only has straightforward damage attacks (there are a lot more options than just that) and only few combat-related Advantages. I would consider her combat-abilities pretty average for the PL.

As for the skills... those are quite average, too. Only Technology and Vehicles are very good. +10 is useful, but not that much, when the maximum at the PL is +20.

Benefit: Wealth is mostly just fluff... it is the most useless Advantage, ever (because there is nothing useful in the game, that you can buy with money... everything costs PP ;)).

Bye
Thanee
Well then The Rook is a poorly designed character. Because Fusion is better at everything. The only thing I see he has that she doesn't is move by attack and a headquarters.

Walking Dad

First Post
With fly speed, close and ranged attacks that hit the PL cap and Toughness/Parry&Dodge hitting the PL as well plus Move-by and Power Attack, the Rook is far from a bad combatant. He has also a burst attack and powers that 'hit' Fortitude.

BTW, the 'Costumed Adventurer' archetype isn't only about combat. For this, look at the 'Warrior' or 'Weaponmaster' p 48f.
The CA is also about Intimidation, Investigation and Stealth.

rangerjohn

Explorer
With fly speed, close and ranged attacks that hit the PL cap and Toughness/Parry&Dodge hitting the PL as well plus Move-by and Power Attack, the Rook is far from a bad combatant. He has also a burst attack and powers that 'hit' Fortitude.

BTW, the 'Costumed Adventurer' archetype isn't only about combat. For this, look at the 'Warrior' or 'Weaponmaster' p 48f.
The CA is also about Intimidation, Investigation and Stealth.
Agreed, which is why I sited Investigation, Perception and other out of combat things, not combat. As I said, I expect battlesuit to be better in combat. The Rook has 6-8 in these areas, Fusion has 10+.

Shayuri

First Post
I have other ideas I'm nursing besides the speedster.

One problem Im having with the speedster is that she doesn't have a lot in the way of attacks. Though perhaps I could extend the time control to some Afflictions slowing or stopping folks in time...

But I'm starting to have second thoughts on the excuse that the concept may be too complicated.

I'm also tinkering with a blaster type, and an ectoplasm manipulator (basically Move object with some AP's and so on. :))

Though the temporal manipulator could Summon alternate versions of herself. Hee hee...that would be pretty cool...

Thanee

First Post
I would say Fusion is closer to the Gadgeteer as an Archetype for comparison, though not quite as techy, with some Shapeshifter (more like Autobot-Transformer) mixed in. Battlesuit isn't really fitting.

6-8 is not much for skills, really. That's just something you are trained in, but not particularily good at. The Archetype Crime Fighter has 12-14 in all those skills, for example, while his main shtick seems to be Stealth plus Intimidation and then Investigation/Perception and Martial Arts with some gimmicky attacks (Utility Belt), of course. The only thing that Fusion is also about equally good at (apart from combat) is Investigation/Perception (though she lacks any extra sense powers (ok, she can listen to the local radio station :lol: ) to accompany that; someone who is really good at this would certainly have more in that direction).

The main question, however, is... what do you want your character's main area of expertise be? What do you see him being good at?

Maybe it would be better to actually build one from scratch (we can certainly help you with that; or take The Rook or the Archetype Crime Fighter and apply some changes to them) to meet those expectations?

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Remove ads