• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (OOC) Rise of the Dracolich (Full)

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
So I'm back in town and will try to wrap my head around where I'm supposed to be...

I like the group, I really like my character, but this battle has been strange and frustrating a bit. If we were to continue this game, I wouldn't mind tweaking my character a touch to make him a bit tankier while maintaining the "flavor/essence".

I'm also a bit disillusioned with the gaming "method" of play by post. I would LOVE to game with you all in person, or maybe online, but with different schedule and time zones that's probably not doable :(

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Okay, something has got to be done, I mean, I enjoyed most of it, but it took me an hour and a half to do that post for the Eastern Lair and I'm controlling most of the characters there myself at this point. It feels a bit too much like playing with myself, if you know what I mean. I don't blame anyone really, I should have left that whole scene off-camera while the PCs fought the dragon, but I thought it would be fun.

One of the problems, of course, is that everything at this level has too many HP compared to how much damage is being done. Especially with Regenerating Trolls and Thick-with-ice undead. Between that and our slow post-rate (my fault too, it wouldn't be as bad for me if I resolved a few posts at a time, as I mean to do, but I've been getting behind - it's certainly too much work to do the whole round in one post).

I'm not sure what to do, either. I mean, I don't want to gloss over everything because I don't know how it will play out. Suggestions?

gargoyleking

Adventurer
Mord could teleport to the other side of the chamber and let you just run one side of the battle. He just needs a way to know just where to go to.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Mord could teleport to the other side of the chamber and let you just run one side of the battle. He just needs a way to know just where to go to.

It's a hard choice. I mean, I like the trolls. They amuse me. And I like Arrufel, I think I made an interesting villain. Buuuuut.... not only is it looking dire for the PCs against the Dragon, and they could use Mord's help, but that would also drop the workload and speed things up. I'll give it some thought.

(Also, feel free to chime in if you're playing a Troll. Do you want to see how the troll does, or is it more of a burden at this point?)

tglassy

Adventurer
I kind of like the troll, even if I'm not as involved as I'd like to be. I typically play so reserved in my games. I like that I can just throw him on a bad guy and see what happens.

The main problem is the regeneration. Even Primus' attack against the other troll. it didn't do enough damage to really hurt the thing. It'll heal after the next attack. Trolls are NOT one on one opponents. It takes an entire party, or a fire based magic user, to kill one. And unfortunately, Pyrus did not join in this trip.

I miss Pyrus. And Terrus. They were fun. Aquaria and Auraia were alright. I might reimagine them as normal classes. Rune Knight Fighter for Terrus, Phoenix Sorcerer for Pyrus, Water Based Land Druid for Aquaria and Shadow Monk for Auraia. It'll wind up being the same thing, and then I can use them for other games without dealing with all the Mystic stuff.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Yeah, just give 'em the same otherworldly origin for their abilities, and you're good to go with them being relatively unchanged from a story-perspective, while being mechanically slightly-different.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The troll fight is interesting but... it doesn't really matter. If it's an obstacle, we can skip it. Essentially, the PCs gained some allies, and the allies negated allies of the dragon. That's a win.

The fight vs the dragon is not going well for several factor. Two of our most useful PCs in this situation (Lorenn because of mobility, Alhana because of range) have players unable to play them for a number of reasons. The party tank is A: not a great tank (because I designed him thinking we were going to have 2 other tans) and B: really not good in this situation (vision, lack of speed/mobility, low dex, mediocre ranged attack). To make matters worse, we didn't have the kind of "10-20 minute planning session" that happens in face to face game, where we come up with a decent plan - play by post just doesn't does this very well I find. We have next to no mitigation vs the breath weapon which we knew was coming. If we get TPKed we kind of deserve it :/

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Ha! If I were to re-design Kalorn, instead of a 3rd level eldrich knight, I would make him a 3rd level Rune Fighter with the magical adept feat. :)

That would be interesting to see. Speaking of Kalorn, I need a post for him to roll the round. For now, I think we should all push on. See if we can make a few strides forward. Blow some big spells.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
That would be interesting to see. Speaking of Kalorn, I need a post for him to roll the round. For now, I think we should all push on. See if we can make a few strides forward. Blow some big spells.
The Hill Giant Rune would synergize very well with Armor of Agathys and give him tankiness for one...

Ok, I should be able to post this evening!

Remove ads