Ceramic Dm (final judgement posted, New Champion announced!)

alsih2o

First Post
carpedavid said:
Thanks Ao - it was a tough fight, and PC's a great writer, which makes the victory that much sweeter.

Oh, no problem. Just amazed delight :)

Oh, but there is a problem, fastest draw always has all the young gunfighters out to prove themselves against you.

Never sleep restfully again :)

Zhaneel

First Post
Wow... I haven't had time to read CarpeDavid's story, but to take out PC is the first round. Congrats. Quite the upset as I had a betting pool going for PC to make it to the finals.

Zhaneel

Zhaneel

First Post
Reposted from Other Thread, per PC's suggestion:

(I found some down time & it was a quick read)

-----------------------------

Okay, now having read CarpeDavid's story, I have to say I go against the judges here. Which is not surprising as all 3 were borderline and I just fell on the other side of the border.

That said:

Neat use of the kids smoking. But I really wanted more. Who are those kids? What relation do they have to the doctor in RL?

I loved the list of things Kat hadn't done, but at the end I wondered who's memories we were seeing: AI-Kat or RL-Kat, or did RL-Kat's memories somehow get into AI-Kat? Very confused.

I think that's why I fell to PC's story. While both are EXCELLENT stories and make great use of pictures, I felt I understood what was going on in PC's story where as I felt wanted for CarpeDavid's Story.

Regardless, Congrats to CarpeDavid and I look forward to more of your stuff.

Zhaneel

dravot

First Post
Ao the Overkitty said:
And another fairy dies.

Congrats carpedavid. You smacked down the cat. Quite impressive for your first time.
Oooh noooo! I'm sorry fairy! :\

In all seriousness, I want to pay my thanks to the participants and the judges. All of the stories have been great, and I don't envy the judges' task.

carpedavid

First Post
Zhaneel said:
Reposted from Other Thread, per PC's suggestion:

(I found some down time & it was a quick read)

-----------------------------

Okay, now having read CarpeDavid's story, I have to say I go against the judges here. Which is not surprising as all 3 were borderline and I just fell on the other side of the border.

That said:

Neat use of the kids smoking. But I really wanted more. Who are those kids? What relation do they have to the doctor in RL?

I loved the list of things Kat hadn't done, but at the end I wondered who's memories we were seeing: AI-Kat or RL-Kat, or did RL-Kat's memories somehow get into AI-Kat? Very confused.

I think that's why I fell to PC's story. While both are EXCELLENT stories and make great use of pictures, I felt I understood what was going on in PC's story where as I felt wanted for CarpeDavid's Story.

Regardless, Congrats to CarpeDavid and I look forward to more of your stuff.

Zhaneel
Thanks for the kind words, Zhaneel. All of your comments are vey good - and seem to fit into what others have said as well. Based upon the feedback that I'm getting from both the judges and contestants and other readers, I think I'm going to revise the story and post it in the Kiln-fired thread after the contest is over.

Specifically, it looks like I need to better define and expand the relationship between Kat and the doctor, better explain whose memories are being related at any given point, and better flesh out some of the background. I want to maintain some ambiguity in certain places, but I think I can do that and make it intelligible to people who don't have the benefit of living inside my head.

One of the goals of writing this was to make the whole thing a strange little loop that wraps in on itself, but it looks like I have some work to do to reach that goal. Thanks to all so far for the comments - the more I get, the better I can make the story!

Berandor

lunatic
Commentary copied from other thread, and yes, I use that many smilies
---

(ACK! Commentary to unjudged story! Deleted now, though)

Piratecat: First off, I am a big fan of your literary voice. So it comes as no big surprise that I totally loved your story! The only thing I thought when you incorporated "Snulap Kpogyk" the way you did was, "I'm not worthy!"
Also, the sarcastic narrator really drove me to laughter more than once. Whistling the tune to "Cheers", indeed :)

Macbeth: Excellent story! The "in Las Vegas" comments were cool, but I think I would have liked one or two less of them, especially since you repeated Dopamine ;)

And the Ending... well, you know - what can I do when Sialia and PCat agree, expect agreeing as well?
I loved that the narrator (do we even get to know his/her gender?) tried to built an arc, and that there's a real flood pouring down then. Certainly shines a different light on Noah :)

Morpheus: The story was cool; I liked the switch between action and "play", but I think I would have liked it better if you'd put the flashbacks in italics or something. Also, I think the first two pics were throw-aways. What was their function in the story? I probably didn't get it, though
A good story, nevertheless. Poor marine!
ETA: Did you make up the poem from Unaussprechliche Kulte, or is it real?That was a great touch!

(ETA: Morpheus already answered that the quote was indeed a quote)

Carpedavid: I'm at a loss for words right now. Really, the story just blew me away. And a hopeful finish to boot! Great, great, great! Of course, I don't smoke, so that helped ;)

As last time, I feel honored to have written a story among these great artists.

(ETA: And I will feel even more honored once I rule supreme :D)

Last edited:

mythago

Hero
And another fairy dies.

Wow, this is easier than shooting 'em in the chest!

I made a big boo-boo. I meant to say "Let's not pretend this was OTHER THAN a tough set of pictures," and the typo gave the exact opposite meaning. Sorry about that, guys. I was trying to applaud you for working with a tough set, not tsk at you for having gotten an easy bunch.

I mean, it's not like your round had the pic of hands in it.

Remove ads