Chicago Gameday XII is Nov 12th: Planning Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

William Ronald

Explorer
Well, perhaps we can see if we have a few products to donate to the giveaway table.

Also, do we want to have mini-games. I enhoyed the two mini-games that I played in the morning at the last Gameday. They do give some people the option of showing up later than 9:30 a.m.

Ninjacat

First Post
William Ronald said:
Also, do we want to have mini-games. I enhoyed the two mini-games that I played in the morning at the last Gameday. They do give some people the option of showing up later than 9:30 a.m.

Actually, I was wondering about this myself. I ran two of the half-slot events last time, and I think they went quite well. Pbar ran the other two, and he can't make it this time, so that begs the question: Is anyone else willing to run two half-slots? I'm more than willing to do so again this time around, since I have two different ideas I'd love to run, but I would also like to PLAY... .so half-slots would be great by me.

I fear part of the success the half-slots enjoyed last time was due to the craziness of cancelations at the last minute, etc., so a number of players defaulted to the half-slots, but if there's an interest...

What's any- or every- body think? Good idea, bad idea, anybody else wanna be my partner in crime?

William Ronald

Explorer
Ninjacat said:
Actually, I was wondering about this myself. I ran two of the half-slot events last time, and I think they went quite well. Pbar ran the other two, and he can't make it this time, so that begs the question: Is anyone else willing to run two half-slots? I'm more than willing to do so again this time around, since I have two different ideas I'd love to run, but I would also like to PLAY... .so half-slots would be great by me.

I fear part of the success the half-slots enjoyed last time was due to the craziness of cancelations at the last minute, etc., so a number of players defaulted to the half-slots, but if there's an interest...

What's any- or every- body think? Good idea, bad idea, anybody else wanna be my partner in crime?

Good points, but first....

"I need Ninjetti power, NOW!" (Those at Ninjacat's Mutants and Masterminds game last time should get the reference.)

I think having a few half-game slots might be good, as they can quickly introduce people to new games without requiring a five hour commitment.

Hopefully, everyone who DMs will get a chance to play. (I think this should be a motto.) We can also perhaps discuss the sort of events that we want to run. For example, I would like to have a mixture of roleplaying and action in most events. (I am already working on a scenario over the Labor Day weekend.)

buzz

Adventurer
Reidzilla said:
Thought #1: Everybody pitches in $5-6 and we get a catered lunch.
This seems sort of problematic, as thalmin mentioned. All the events don't always break at the same time, so what happens if all the food is gone by the time a late-running event ends? How do we know if someone has paid or not (i.e., what's to prevent walk-ins from just grabbing chow; nobody has time to police that)? Not to mention, I think the probability of being able to successfully coordinate this with all the sign-ups is pretty small.

And, honestly, it's nice to get out of the store for a bit and grab lunch out among the Muggles. :)

Reidzilla said:
Thought #2: A prize raffle.
I seem to remeber there's been talk of a raffle in the past, and the idea never went over. Suddenly our "day of free gaming" doesn't seem so free anymore, and now someone involved (me? thalmin?) has to handle people's money, monitor that the raffle is fair, etc. Too many headaches.

Still, keep those ideas comin'. What are some other ways we may be able to improve the Gameday experience?

William Ronald said:
Also, do we want to have mini-games.
I think people enjoyed them last time around. Really, though, it's up to our volunteer GMs. If they want to run some (and having at least two GMs running minis seems wise), then by all means, make it so!

GORAK

First Post
Old school D&D event

Hey folks,
What are your thoughts on running an old school D&D event like Basic D&D or AD&D 1st ed for the next gameday?
I like the idea of a change of pace for us old school fans away from the world of 3.0/3.5/D20 systems and take a stroll back down memory lane to the old D&D red box set.
Besides, it may even stir up enough interest in the old vintage games for people to buy stuff out of Curt's collection.
I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
regards
Gorak

TracerBullet42

First Post
GORAK said:
Hey folks,
What are your thoughts on running an old school D&D event like Basic D&D or AD&D 1st ed for the next gameday?
I like the idea of a change of pace for us old school fans away from the world of 3.0/3.5/D20 systems and take a stroll back down memory lane to the old D&D red box set.
Besides, it may even stir up enough interest in the old vintage games for people to buy stuff out of Curt's collection.
I would appreciate any thoughts on this.
regards
Gorak
For what it's worth, the group I game with went "old school" not too long ago for a little change of pace and we all had a blast.

I'm sure there'd be interest.

Halfling as a class rules!

William Ronald

Explorer
Now that the long Labor Day weekend is over, hopefully more people will show up and express interest in running games.

I do think that mini-games might be a good idea, as they can help people try some new games -- and make a smaller commitiment to learning about that game.

MattyHelms

First Post
Oh, I thought we were holding off on setting up games...

I'm totally willing to run a game - even other than Synnibarr :). I've got a nice little horror scenario in mind - originally statted for Call of Cthulhu, but should be easy to run in any system.

And I can totally play "old school" - not only am I from that old school, I just played me some Tunnels and Trolls tonight!

William Ronald

Explorer
MattyHelms said:
Oh, I thought we were holding off on setting up games...

I'm totally willing to run a game - even other than Synnibarr :). I've got a nice little horror scenario in mind - originally statted for Call of Cthulhu, but should be easy to run in any system.

And I can totally play "old school" - not only am I from that old school, I just played me some Tunnels and Trolls tonight!

I think that we are holding of on setting up games, but mostly expressing interest. I think some minigames might work well, for the reasons I previously stated.

It is good to know you will be back this Gameday!

Reidzilla

Explorer
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I was not too sure about either idea but I thought they would as least kick off some discussion. :cool:

Thought #3: A change in schedule to accommodate more gaming.
* Morning slot: 9:30am – 12:30pm
* Lunch break: 12:30pm – 1:30pm
* Swag Time: 1:30pm – 2:00pm
* Afternoon slot: 2:00pm – 6:00pm
* Dinner break: 6:00pm – 6:30pm
* Evening slot: 6:30pm ‘til whenever
This would mean that the games would all be a bit shorter but you could play/run in three events instead of just two. You could also show up after lunch and still get in two games.

Feedback is, of course, appreciated. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads