log in or register to remove this ad

 

GREYHAWK CY963 GOLDEN ERA CAMPAIGN: HEROES OF DYVERS: CHAPTER 4

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir engages Vale

When Lathir finishes his morning ritual, he returns to the company of the group, being informed that a scout party has departed from the fort below.

Aust Thale said:
Upon seeing the patrol leave the garrison, Vale quietly nudges Lathir, "You want to try a similar approach as yesterday? We are going to lose our surprise when they come back. It will take some three or four hours before they find them, and the same on the return trip. Either way, we are going to have to deal with them. This is the urgent before the important."
Lathir carefully surveys the departing company of foes.
"I can shift into a bird and fly from here to get ahead of that crew to lay an effective trap. Some kind of unobtrusive bird not likely to attract attention, say a vulture. I will set the trap close to where that scout party would be coming up on the other group we eliminated. Others of you will be able to hit them from behind while I have them distracted.

Are we all in agreement, here
?"

OOC: Lathir's New Spell List:
0
1
2
Detect Magic
3
Ensnare
2
Bull Strength
3
Light
3
Cure Light
4
Lesser Restore
2
Read Magic
3
Produce Flame
2
Heat Metal
2
Purify
2
Speak w/ Animals
1
Cat's Grace
2
3
4
5
Cure Moderate
2
Cure Serious
1
Call Lightning Storm
1
Neutralize Poison
2
Dispel Magic
1
Cure Critical
1
Remove Disease
2
Flame Strike
1
Rock to Mud
1
Magic Fang
1
Ice Storm
1
Tree Stride
1
Spike Growth
1
Repel Vermin
1
Wall of Fire
1
Rusting Grasp
1
Wall of Thorns
1
Spike Stones
1
 
Last edited:

log in or register to remove this ad

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar agrees with Lathir and looks at Tam... Lets take care of the patrol and we will handle the Fortress and Orcs when we get back.... he looks at Lathir...light a fire as part of your distraction... then he address the whole group... when we get there, turn your eyes away from the fire Lathir lights. I will cast my spell and blind the patrol, making it very easy for us to finish them off.

OOC: Sylvar Spell list
1st Level Spells Known:

1. Comprehend Languages
2. Expeditious Retreat
3. Grease
4. Animate Rope

1. Cure Mod Wounds
2. Pyrotechnics
3. Summon Swarm
4. Mirror Image

1. Summon Monster III
2. Blink
3. Invisibility Sphere


OOC: When we get back.

1) we burrow into the fortress and rob them blind using my invisibility sphere spell to remain out of sight. While there we steal some sort of oil and cover the place in oil and light it on fire. We clean up stragglers.

2) I cast invisibility sphere on Tam, he goes in by himself and spreads oil all over the place, ties the doors shut then lights the place up with a fire arrow, we clean up the ones who manage to get out. At worst everyone gets out and they have to set up a new base of operations. At best we manage to kill or damage most of them and we have an easy fight of it.

BUUUT there is the matter of the Orc camp.

I can conjure a rat swarm to attack the camp. They will cause physical and disease damage.

Sorry GM, too much for me to type into LINE messenger.
 
Last edited:

Diarmadhim

Explorer
After preparing my spells for the day, I rejoin the others. "I agree that we should kill these stragglers. The fewer we have to fight at one time, the better. We have enough food to allow us to pick them off bit by bit. Soon, they will increase the size of the group they send to check on the others. Either that or they will go on high alert and we will have no chance to attack them safely," I finish with a shrug.
 

Sylvar B.

Explorer
The group follows a path that will bring them up behind the new patrol. They stay far enough behind that they will not be seen, but close enough that when the patrol stops Respen's Raiders will find themselves behind the patrol in a few moments.
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM: WEATHER ALERT


As the party begins to backtrack along the switchback, following the Ogres and Orcs, thunder is heard overhead, and it starts to rain once more. The rain is heavier than a sprinkle, but it's not yet a complete downpour, and it's steady and consistent.

GM:
Ok, you guys need to decide:

a) Who goes where.
b) What traps are set and how.
c) What spells are cast and where.
d) Any other details of your planned ambush.

Discuss it on LINE, then have ONE party member ("The Caller") post the party's intentions.

[sblock=What's a Caller?]
000 - Organizing a Party 001.png
[/sblock]
 

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir Declares Action

Lathir -
"Since there is no objection I intend to fly from here and get ahead of the departing scout party. Once that party arrives just short of the intersection with the demise of the previous party, I intend to cast Spike Growth centered on the center of their group, while I am still flying in the form of a vulture. Once that is complete I intend to cast Stone Spikes in the same area. From there, I will decide based on the damage those two have caused."
 

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Druidical Ambush!

Ok, this is a map showing the marching order of the patrol within the ravine.

The light, sand-colored squares are the canyon walls.

The gray and brown squares show muddy rock / shale (gray) and the muddy, clay road (brown.)

OOC: As discussed in our LINE app chat, Lathir can surround the patrol with spikes on all sides. The first spell will occur during a surprise round, and the second spell will occur during round 1. Since the patrol has no idea that the vulture overhead is the source of the attack, Lathir automatically wins initiative for Round 1.


GM:
The patrol left the fort at 9:40 AM. Lathir realizes that ambushing them EARLIER will be more advantageous, so he ambushes them just after they reach the switchback, at 11:40 AM. There is still almost three miles of twisting ravine between the ambush site and the fort, so the distance, coupled with the sound of the rain, will conceal the fate of the patrol.



00-Muddy-Road-Ambush-Base-Map-001.png

GM:
Surprise Round: Lathir casts Spike Growth. Patrol blunders into it for 1d2 squares.

First Round: Lathir casts Stone Spikes in the same area. Patrol tries to exit the way they came, moving 1 square backwards. After discovering that they are trapped, they must succeed on a morale check, with a DC equal to the average DC of Lathir's two spells. (Taking Average: 19+20 = 39, avg = 19.5, round down to 19.) Rolling Morale (WIS check) for each group as a whole (Orcs, Ogres): Orcs: (14) Fail; Ogres (11) Fail. The spell is scary, and the patrol panics.

Second Round: Patrol moves 1d2 more squares before realizing that flight is futile.

Initial Blunder: Patrol moves 2 squares through Spike Growth.
Retreat Movement: Patrol moves 1 square through both spells (Spike Growth and Stone Spikes.)
Panic: Patrol moves 2 squares through both spells.

Damage inflicted: Initial Blunder: 2d4 (3 pts.); Retreat: 1d8+1d4 (8 pts.); Panic: 2d4+2d8 (9 pts.); Every patrol member suffers a total of 20 pts. damage, which means ALL OF THEM are still alive, albeit SERIOUSLY INJURED. (Especially the Orcs, none of whom have the desire now to move.)

Saving throws: Ogres (7) Fail; Orcs (5) Fail; All patrol members suffer grievous wounds to their legs that slows their movement by 1/2 for 24 hours. I did not roll for both spells, because the effects overlap, rather than stack. If they had made their saves for the spell, they would have had to roll for the second spell. But since they all failed the first spell, the second save is a moot point.

Spell Duration (Both spells): 9 Hours.


OOC: End of part one; part two coming soon.
 
Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Supporter
Tam-Tam, eager to get into the action, asks to ride with one of the others (the "big people"), who can successfully control a full-sized horse, he only able to ride a Mastiff Mount or War Pony, at best.

"Friend Sylvar, or Friend Red, may I ride with you? I could be ready to fire as we approach them. What say you?
 

redraider629

Explorer
Thallok looks at Tam smiles and says, "you are more than welcome to ride with me my little friend."

Kleborn hops on a horse and says, "let's ride lads."
 
Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
Supporter
Tam-Tam hops on the horse behind Thallok, pulls his bow from his shoulders to have at the ready and says:

"Ready when you are, Red."
 

Aust Thale

Explorer
Vale Goes w/ Sylvar

~ Val, it seems as if we are wading into the fray again. ~

"Val, watch our flanks and our back please. Sylvar, if you do not mind, I shall ride along with you. We'll keep our distance until Lathir unleashes his traps. I shan't remain on the horse for long. As soon as we start our attack, we should dismount and keep the horses out of the range of their range weapons. The others that we encountered yesterday carried bows and the like, but we were close enough in that they didn't have a chance to hit back I don't want this group to be able to do that either. And though we relish wading into battle, our horses shouldn't have to. I brought rope to tie any we obtain as prisoners. "

Before getting on to the horse, Vale surveys their camp, making sure that everything is in its proper place, and observing carefully a mental image of it to know if it has been disturbed when they return.

Vale smiles. "It's time to beat the children."
 


Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Druidical Ambush! (PART TWO)

The party comes down the end of the switchback at the beginning of the third round.

GM:
Map of Patrol Composition / Position:
[sblock=Previous Map, For Reference.]
00-Muddy-Road-Ambush-Base-Map-001.png
[/sblock]



GM:
Map of Party Position:
(Yellow areas indicate the limits of Lathir's spells.)


00-Muddy-Road-Ambush-Base-Map-001b.png
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Combat Preparations

GM:
Initiative Order For Round 3:

Dewydd: 25
Tam-Tam: 23a
Kleborn: 23b
Vale: 23c
Thallok: 20a

Orcs: 20b
Lathir: 17

Sylvar: 12
Ogres:
2

FYI: OTTER Rules of Initiative Order:


In the event of a tie initiative:

1) Elite NPCs (GA's discretion) are treated as PCs.
2) PCs always win ties vs. NPCs.
3) Ties between PCs are decided in order of highest Dex score.
4) In the case of tied PCs with identical Dex scores, look at natural Dex vs. magically enhanced Dex.
(Favoring natural Dex.)

5) If criteria 4 still results in a tie, then it is up to the GA to determine the order; there cannot be TRUE simultaneous action.

One suggested rule of thumb would be that these ties could be broken by a roll-off, or the GA might use some mundane method to decide, such as the first letter of the PCs' names (alphabetical order) or perhaps judging by physical characteristics (the small, light-weight Halfling can probably edge out the larger, bulkier, less-nimble-footed Dwarf, etc.)



GM:
Some guidelines for missile fire:

The entire encounter area (which spans two maps) is 26 squares (130 ft.) wide.
If you are at the extreme ends of the map, firing across it with a longbow will be at the second range increment, i.e., 111-220 ft., which is a -2 range penalty to hit.
If you are at the extreme ends of the map, firing across it with a shortbow will be at the third range increment, i.e., 121-180 ft., which is a -4 range penalty to hit.
If you can get to within 110 ft. with a longbow, or within 60 ft. with a shortbow, you will eliminate your range penalty.
For reference, the range between Sylvar and Pomarj Orc #4 = 14 squares (70 ft.)


DEWYDD: It's Your Turn! What Do You Do?
 

Diarmadhim

Explorer
Taking a five foot step down and forward one square, I draw the borrowed Elven Composite Longbow back to take aim at P4, P5, and P6. I will not switch from the initial target until it is downed.

OOC: First attack roll: 19. 8 damage if hit.
Second attack roll: 27. 8 damage if hit.
Third attack roll: 24 (natural 20), 20 to confirm. 24 damage if confirmed, 8 if not confirmed.

*Edited because I forgot the -2 from Whirling Frenzy to attack rolls. Normally in melee it's offset by the Strength bonus it gives, but these attacks are ranged.
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Dewydd Cleans House Once Again!

Dewydd takes a slight step diagonally forward, and lets loose on the trapped Orcs; it's like shooting fish in a barrel. They are almost completely helpless, and quite vulnerable to a few well-placed shots.

GM:
19 Hits. Orc #4 is down. [-6, Dying]
27 Hits. Orc #5 is down. [-6, Dying]
24/20 Confirms. Orc #6 is down. [-22, Dead.]


Two Orcs catch an arrow in the chest, and slump into unconsciousness, bleeding out among the spikes.
The third Orc catches an arrow in his left eye, killing him instantly.

As this is happening, the Ogres and remaining Orcs begin screaming at each other. From observation, it appears as if the lead Ogre is ordering a retreat, or perhaps a counter-attack. The other Ogres and Orcs yell back at him bitterly, obviously in disagreement.

GM:
Of course, since it's not either of the monster groups' turn, all they can do is talk. They still can't take action until their initiative comes up, no matter what they decide to do.


Current Positions:

00-Muddy-Road-Ambush-Base-Map-001c.png

TAM-TAM: It's Your Turn! What do you do?
 

Waynan

Adventurer
Supporter
Tam-Tam quickly dismounts and moves to the diagonal square (let's call it northeast) of Dewydd, grabbing two of his new Elven arrows along the way --- nocking one, readying it to fire. He takes aim at Ogre 10, muttering to himself:

"By all the gods damned and blesséd, guide my darts and make them strike true."

Fires once: 16+4+1(magic elven arrow)=21
fires twice: 17+4+1 (magic elven arrow)=22

If these are hits:
First arrow: 7 hp
Second arrow: 2 hp (Ugh!)
 
Last edited:

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tam-Tam Takes A Prisoner!

Tam dismounts Thallok's horse, leaping down to land lightly, as only a Halfling can, in the sandy mud; Tam trudges forward another 15 feet, just ahead of Dewydd, before drawing his bow, and letting his new Elven arrows take flight.

Both arrows thud into the Ogre's chest, although they do not sink as deep as Tam had hoped. The Ogre clutches desperately at the arrows, trying to pull them out, but he looks weak, and appears to be having trouble breathing. He wheezes loudly, coughs twice, and collapses, unconscious, although Tam's keen eyes notice that the Ogre is still breathing somewhat. Sylvar's earlier comment comes to Tam's mind, bringing a smile to his lips.

Sylvar said:
"I just had a thought, let's keep one Orc alive and question him..."

It was an Ogre, not an Orc, but it would serve the same purpose. They now had a prisoner.

GM:
Tam spends 5 ft. worth of movement to dismount Thallok's horse, landing in the square directly South (below) Thallok. [15 ft. of movement remaining.]
Distance to desired square = 10 more feet.
Sandy mud = 25% penalty. Adjusted distance = 10 x 1.25 = 12.5 = 12 feet.
Tam has just enough movement left to reach that square.
(21) = Hit
(22) = Hit
Damage = 7+2 = 9 pts. damage. Ogre is unconscious [0, Stable]


Current Positions:

00-Muddy-Road-Ambush-Base-Map-001d.png

KLEBORN: It's Your Turn! What Do You Do?
 
Last edited:

redraider629

Explorer
Kleborn dismounts, and grabs a composite bow along with a couple of arrows, and takes aim at Ogre #9, and fires.

first roll d20+10=23
Second roll d20+5=23

If first shot hits: 1d8+3=4
If second shot hits=8

GM:
Indeed, those shots hit.
Total Damage = 12 pts.
Ogre #9 is down. [-3, Dying]


GM:
Kleborn fires twice, admiring the heft and pull of the Elven Strongbow. (The name for such bows used by Elven archers, because they are known to have a heavy draw weight.)

The first arrow is slightly misplaced, thunking into the Ogre's left leg. He screams in pain as the arrow slams home.

The Ogre's scream is cut short by the second arrow, which catches him in the throat, turning his scream into a gurgle. The Ogre collapses immediately, his life's blood flowing from the neck wound like a river.


Current Positions:

00-Muddy-Road-Ambush-Base-Map-001e.png



VALE: It's Your Turn! What Do You Do?
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Presents for Goblins

Advertisement2

Advertisement4

Top