IC - Mad King's Monkey

doghead

thotd
At Henri's House, In the Forest.

"Right then", says Henri. "I suppose now is a good a time as any to tell you what I know and answer your questions.

"The gnoll tribes have been looking for the exiles since they fled. For many years the tribes activities have been fairly consistent; one or two hunting packs a year, ranging all over the mountains to the north and east of here.

"A few years ago things changed. The gnoll presence became more persistent. They spent more time going over the same area. At first I was relieved as the area in which they were concentrating their efforts was far from where the exiles were living. After a while I started to suspect that something else was going on. The gnolls came to an agreement of some sort with the Yar Gock, Copperhead's tribe. It was brokered by Nerrek Spleenbiter, a particularly clever and dangerous goblin. Over the last few years Nerrek has been building his support in the tribe. He does not yet have enough to challenge the current leadership. Copperhead believes that there is something going on between Nerrek and the gnolls.

"I used to have an understanding of sorts with the Yar Gock. In return for my occasional assistance, they largely kept away from the local village and farms, and left travellers alone. That came to an end about the same time as the agreement with the gnolls. While it was not Nerrek who ended things, I think his hand was in it. Since then I have had much less visibility of what is happening with the Yar Gock.

"Copperhead said that the gnolls have found something. It makes sense. It explains much of what has been happening recently. I don't know what they have found. But I think it is vital to find out."

... Bayar turns to Walter, who has remained suspiciously quiet through the conversation. "Walter, if you be knowing the way, we be appreciating your help. And your donkey. I be happy to pay for your time."

Walter looks dubiously at Bayar.

"You don't even know what you are looking for, so how do I be knowing the way?

"But it be true that I know these parts. And you be needing a donkey or else you be struggling to walk more than a few miles. I be too old to go chasing adventures and the like.

"But a little bit of coin would not go amiss, that is true."

[sblock=OOC]Its a bit rough and ready. And there are gaps I am sure you will pick up on. But I can't sleep, and I wanted to give you something to get started on. Hopefully this helps.[/sblock]

Axel

First Post
Bayar grins, and offers his hand to Walter. "Be good to have you along. If you not be minding the walk, we needs be getting to town for supplies and back before dark."

doghead

thotd
Back at the Village, Late Afternoon, Day 4.

The trip to the village and back is uneventful. The mundane items are, with a little assistance from the Kovic and some of the villagers, all obtainable. There is however, no shop in the village selling magic items. The two ever-burning torches and the wand require a little more work.

A couple of the villagers have ever-burning torches which they are will to sell for 150 gp each. As for the wand, that is a bit more tricky. The local mid-wife and healer has one. She bought it from a trader who swore blind that it was new. But the woman can't verify that, and somewhat doubts that it is true. She has used it 18 times, and indeed there is a length of thread tied to one end with eighteen knots in it. It is very useful to her, but she might be convinced to sell it for the right price.

[sblock=OOC]Scott, I thought that this might be a chance to give the GitP Diplomacy rules a spin.

I have worked out the initial DC (Target and Relationship modifiers included). The only thing remaining to determine before rolling is the Risk/Reward modifier. The amount you offer will be one aspect of that.[/sblock]

In the Forest, At Henri's house, Day 5, Part One

Henri considers the various drawings done while at the gnoll camp. He spends a bit of time turning the 'maps' round, and even more time leaning back in his chair with his eyes closed.

"Dark-wood valley maybe," he says, pointing to one of the features. "But this could be the Troll hill, which would make it further west. But if this is Sick-stream swamp, it would be further north."

Walter shrugs. "I stay away from that part of the world myself. Nothing good to be found there."

doghead

thotd
In the Forest, At Henri's house, Day 5, Part Two

"Ajsaran ghush'lhaei," Henri says, pointing to the copies made of the images on the wall of the cliff. "Old magic. It's the magic of blood and earth and muscle and stone. Primative, or maybe a better description would be Primal, in some ways. But dangerous. Its time was long ago, before the gods and world we know today. Where is should have stayed.

"It was the rise to power of a cult of Ajsaran ghush'lhaei that lead to the gnoll exiles fleeing their homelands. Of course, they don't call it by this name. To them he is the Bloody Fangs of the Stone Dog or some something like. It doesn't translate well.

"But you can see the basic elements of Ajsaran ghush'lhaei symbols in these images.

"Chaos," he says pointing to one. "Or at least derivative of."

Henri dips his finger into his drink and make a couple of marks on the surface of the table.

"See, you can see the underlying elements here."

"This one; Energy or life force. This one; Decay, death or inevitability. Despair in the context of ones enemies or opponents."

"I believe Nerrek is a also a worshiper of Ajsaran, although he is yet to reveal himself as such. And he is not alone. Throughout the goblin tribes there seems to others like Nerrek, working towards taking power.

"That is where I was for the last few weeks. Visiting friends and trying to find out a little more. I was able to confirm my suspicions but little more. We ran into some trouble, which is why I was away longer than I expected."

Axel

First Post
After the long day's hike Bayar took the opportunity to remove his armour and air out the undershirt and padded layers. Well, actually they needed a wash in the stream before being allowed in the house so ripe did they smell. Lacking any alternate clothing, he unselfconsciously sat around in pants and boots for the afternoon and evening cleaning, polishing and maintaining the various pieces of steel used in his trade.

Henri's outburt, and subsequent aside about old magic left Bayar no clearer to understanding what was going on. "Henri, be speaking plainly for once," he retorted. "You be asking for help, and we be happy to do what we can. But for the love of all the gods, what you be wanting? Where..." he trailed off, clearly at a loss to express his thoughts. He scratched his days old stubble, thinking.

Clearing his throat, Bayar tried again. "Goblins. We be starting at these goblins I think."

doghead

thotd
"Goblins. We be starting at these goblins I think."

"The goblins, or at least some of them, are likely to know what the gnolls have found. Or at least where it is.

"But how are you planning on asking them. They are not that welcoming of outsiders. Copperhead is perhaps the only one who would speak with you."

[sblock=OOC]There is something else that you may have overlooked. But I suspect that your characters would probably pick up on the ... smell.[/sblock]

Axel

First Post
"By banging heads together and cutting off hands until they be listening!" Bayar laughed coarsely at his own joke before turning around to see the others' reactions. "None of you thinking types be having any better ideas then?"

doghead

thotd
In the Forest, At Henri's house, Day 5

Henri looks a mite concerned.

"You are not thinking of attacking the den?"

"There are at least two dozen warriors in the Yar Gock, including half a dozen elite warriors and a few wolf riders. Half of the rest maybe are more craftsmen than warriors, but they all know how to fight. There are three or four shamen and priests in the tribe, three bugbear mercenaries and ... something else. I don't know what exactly, but it is The Mogur's, the leader's, personal guard.

"Goblins have been fighting things bigger than them for hundreds of years. Their dens are designed for defence. They are riddled with small passages. They will draw you in, try and split you up and come at you from all sides. The females as well as the males.

"Some of you might survive. But I doubt it."

Henri stares across the room for a moment before shaking his head.

"If you want to bang some heads, you might want to start downstairs."

Axel

First Post
Bayar's eyes narrowed. "Downstairs??" he said doubtfully, before rising and heading downstrairs to see what on earth Henri was on about.

doghead

thotd
The air in the basement is thick with the smell of animal fur, piss, and raw meat.

Downstairs are the two captive gnolls, bound and tied to posts, and a bear.

"Don't poke the bear."

Remove ads