GREYHAWK CY963 GOLDEN ERA CAMPAIGN: HEROES OF DYVERS: CHAPTER 4

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
GM:
Dewydd’s attack hits AC 31 (hit)
Damage = 43 pts.
Troll #1 has taken a total of 85 pts. of damage.
Troll = -22, Incapacitated, Regenerating

As the Troll charges by, Dewydd recovers his footing and steps sideways, sweeping the blade of his sword across the Troll’s abdomen, disemboweling him. The Troll does a faceplant, sliding to a muddy, squishy halt at Lathir’s feet.

VALE: IT’S YOUR TURN. WHAT DO YOU DO?

Sylvar B.

Explorer
Sylvar's Song :

Facing us, carnage

In your heart decide

Allies! have courage!

Loose your feet and stride

Wade into bedlam

Do not choose to flee

Rise above mayhem

Courage, all to see

Death comes for us all

Today it is near

None know when they fall

Do not bend to fear

Fear benefits none

Valor all should know

We may carve to one

Courage, it must flow

Allies! Hear my songs

Deimos and Phobos

They are paired wrongs

Fight with dignity

Fight with mighty strength

OOC: Each line is 5 syllables :) [\ooc]

Aust Thale

Adventurer
Vale vs. The Orcs, Trolls, Giants, and Ogres

~ Val, if you have anything you want to say...~

For a moment that seems like many more minutes, Vale assesses the battlefield. The movements of his comrades as they charge, parry, riposte, and engage. The movements of their enemies as they react to Sylvar's tunes. The druid's bait and attack and the simultaneous melee helps make their opponents' numbers more even. He grits his teeth and smiles, eager to weigh in himself.

Dewydd and Thallok seem as if they have known each other for years, almost preternaturally moving into melee. Kleborn's movements are smooth and true. Vale's own Prayer, cast immediately before they engaged the orcs, gives a modest lift to the party and presses their foes. He sees Sylvar exposed, and eager to give their newfound Halfling friend the freedom to use his size and stealth, Vale summons the protective power of Silverbeard again, moving quickly past Sylvar and in front of Tam-Tam, tapping Sylvar on the shoulder as he passes him.

OOC: Vale casts Sanctuary on Sylvar as a standard action, and he take his move action in front of Sylvar and Tam-Tam toward the space between Dewydd and Lathir in the direction of the downed troll and the advancing giant.

Addressing the giant in his native language, Vale curses him vociferously, "You will meet your brother soon, you blustering oaf. Your mother dressed you and him funny. "

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Val communicates telepathically with Vale.
[sblock=What the axe told his master.]
Orcs and similar cave-dwelling beasties are dazzled in bright sunlight, because their eyes are so sensitive. The gloom from the rainy conditions has abated that disadvantage. I could rectify that, but the drawback is that our new buddy Thallok will be affected as well. But I’ll do it if ya want. Just say the word.
[/sblock]

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
The Battle RAGES On!

Vale slogs through the sucking mud, not quite getting as far as he'd hoped.

GM:
Movement is halved in the brown squares, which represent clay mud.

Vale casts Sanctuary on Sylvar as he passes by.

GM:
Sanctuary
Duration: 5 Rounds
Target: Sylvar

GM:
Vale From Facebook Chat said:
"...Vale tells Val to light it up, and he shouts to Thallok to keep eyes front!"

Vale says, "Light 'em up, Val! Hey, Thallok! Eyes front, brother!"

At this point, the axe activates its Daylight power.

GM:
Daylight: 60' radius
Caster Level: 20th
Duration: 200 Minutes / 3.3 Hours (2,000 combat rounds)

Thallok, despite the fact that the light source is coming from behind you, and you are not looking directly at it, you still have trouble seeing in the bright light. The glare from the light washes everything out, making everything beyond about 10 feet distant into one, big, yellow blur.

GM:
Dazzled Condition 001.png

This penalty applies to all of the enemy Orcs, and to Thallok.

GM:
Current Positions:

00-Muddy-Road-Battle-Base-Map-004.png

Without moving, the first Ogre, who towers over the Orcs in front of him, uses his reach to attack Kleborn with his club. This Ogre is apparently the leader among the Ogres, because (now that you've gotten a closer look at him) he's wearing better-looking hides, as well as a golden ring on his left hand which bears some sort of insignia. His Greatclub also looks to be of higher quality, actually being wrapped with iron bands.

GM:
Ogre #1, Full Attack.
Attack 1: 20 (miss)
Attack 2: 13 (miss)

The Ogre roars in defiance, and attacks in a rage, but his anger works against him, as Kleborn deftly sidesteps the first massive blow, and uses his shield to knock the Ogre's second blow out of position.

DEWYDD: IT'S YOUR TURN. WHAT DO YOU DO?

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Dewydd Strikes A Telling Blow!

GM:
Sylvar's Song:
Inspire Courage
+2 Morale Bonus To Hit
+2 Morale Bonus To Damage
+2 Morale Bonus To Charm & Fear Saves

GM:
Prayer
+1 Luck Bonus To Hit
+1 Luck Bonus To Damage
+1 Luck Bonus To All Saves
+1 Luck Bonus To All Skill Checks

Enemies Recieve -1 To All Of These Things

Duration: 5 Rounds

GM:
As per Dewydd's comments in Facebook chat:

Momentum Swing (Combat Brute):
To use this maneuver, you must charge a foe in the first round, and you must make an attack using your Power Attack feat in the second round. The penalty you take on your attack roll must be -5 or worse. Your attacks during the second round gain a bonus equal to your attack roll penalty x1-1/2, or x3 if you're using a two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands.

For instance, if you choose to take a -6 penalty on your attack roll, you can deal an extra 9 points of damage, or an extra 18 points if you're using a two-handed weapon or a one-handed weapon wielded in two hands.

Dewydd said:
OOC: My AC is back to normal now. I'll be using Momentum Swing (Combat Brute) this round for the bonuses. Probably won't hit as hard, but it's safer.

BASE w/ Whirling Frenzy: +11 / +11 / +6
w/PRAYER & COURAGE: +14 / +14 / +9
Power Attack: (-8 Pts): +6 / +6 / +1
(I think you forgot to add in your Power Attack penalty on your attack rolls; since you're no longer using Heedless Charge, the penalty is no longer to AC, but rather, to Attack Rolls.)

Attack Rolls:
17 + 6 = 23 (Hit)
8+6 = 14 (Miss)
16+1 = 17 (Miss)

DM NOTE: If I'm wrong, I will come back and correct this. But I don't think that I am. However, since I can't tell how much Power Attack you actually meant to call, I will give you the benefit of the doubt, and call the minimum, which is 5 pts.

For 5 pts., it would be:
+9/+9/+4
Which would make your numbers:
17+9 = 23 (Hit)
8+9 = 17 (Miss)
16+4 = 20 (Hit)

Damage:
BASE w/ Whirling Frenzy: +7
Power Attack (5 pts): (2-H): +5, Doubled to +10
REPLACE WITH: Combat Brute: (2-H): +5, Tripled to +15
Prayer & Courage: +3
TOTAL: 7+15+3 = +25 To Damage Each Hit

Attack 1:3d6 + 25 = 1+5+3+25 = 34 Pts.
Attack 3:3d6 + 25 = 4+6+1+25 = 36 Pts.

Previous Damage: 29 pts. Total Damage: 34+36+29 = 99 pts.

Dewydd uses the remaining momentum from his charge to drive his Greatsword into the Hill Giant's legs; he manages to slice open the Giant's calf, spewing blood everywhere. The Giant screams in agony, as he tries to re-balance himself; but Dewydd is not finished; he stabs the Greatsword deep into the instep of the Giant's remaining, unblemished foot. The sound of the big blade punching through the flesh of the Giant's foot, and snapping the bones, is sickening. The wound bleeds profusely; the fact that the Giant is still standing is a miracle. One good blow will likely finish him.

THALLOK: IT'S YOUR TURN. WHAT DO YOU DO?

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Thallok Steps Up And Faces His Past!

Thallok engages his former countryman, showing him no mercy. He brings the big Falchion down twice on his less-skilled opponent, who simply isn't a good enough swordsman to deflect Thallok's blade.

GM:
Stances / Maneuvers In Use By Thallok:

Iron Guard's Glare 001.jpg Mountain Hammer 001.jpg

Thallok threatens Orcs 2 & 3; Both of these Opponents have a -4 to hit vs. all party members.

Thallok Attacks Orc #2
Attack 1: (26) -1=25: Hit; Damage = 19 pts.
Attack 2: (25) -1=24: Hit; Damage = 24 pts.

Total Damage: 43 Pts.

Orc #2: -21 hit pts. (Dead)

Thallok's first swing catches the Orc is his mid-section; as the Orc doubles over to protect his profusely bleeding abdomen, Thallok's second swing beheads him.

GM:
Current Positions:

00-Muddy-Road-Battle-Base-Map-004a.png

GM:
Initiative Order:

Dewydd: 24
Thallok: 22
Tam-Tam: 20
Lathir: 17
Kleborn: 17
Giants: 15
Orcs: 12
Sylvar: 11
Vale: 10 (Forgot to add in his Improved Initiative feat last round.)
Trolls: 8
Ogres: 5

Tam-Tam: It's Your Turn. WHAT DO YOU DO?

Last edited:

Waynan

Adventurer
From the corner of his eye, Tam-Tam has seen the blow Dewydd took from the second giant. He quickly spins to change his target from the Ogre (#1) to the remaining giant.

Taking his two shots at the giant with:
Weapon Finesse (+4)
Range bonus, within 30' or less: (+1)
Inspired (+2)
Prayer (+1)
for a total of +8 to hit.

Tam-Tam fires:
Once --- 16+8=24
Twice --- 10+8 = 18

First strike causes, with Inspire (+2 dam) and Prayer (+1 dam): 7 points of damage
IF, second arrow strikes: 6 more points of damage.

Thus, 7 (or 13) points of damage to the second giant.

Tellerian Hawke

Defender of Oerth
Tam’s Two Arrows: Little Stings, Big Consequences.

GM: Posted from my phone; map update coming later today.

Tam-Tam knocks an arrow, and takes aim at the Giant; the big brute is in the process of trying to fight through the pain, and steady himself for a counter-attack on Dewydd. But he is destined to never have that chance.

Tam’s first arrow hits the Giant square in his left eye. The effect is akin to a normal-sized man being struck by a flying needle. The blow itself is not fatal; but it causes the Giant intense pain. The big oaf clutches at his eye, loses his balance, and falls to the ground, twisting his neck in the process, with a sickening crunch.

GM:
To-Hit: 24 (Hit)
Damage: 7 pts.
Giant has now taken a total of 106 pts. damage.

GM:
Giant: -4, Dying

GM:
To-Hit: 18 (Normally a miss)
Giant is unconscious and prone; helpless defender. (3.5 PHB, pp. 153)
Dex 0 = -5 AC (Adjusted AC: 15)
Tam’s arrow hits.
Damage: 6 pts.
Giant = -10, dead.

Tam follows up with a second shot, for good measure. The arrow strikes the giant in the head, striking perfectly into his earhole, burrowing deep, making it all the way to the Giant’s brain. The Giant shudders violently for a moment, and then goes still, forever.

LATHIR: It’s your turn. What do you do?

MacConnell

Creator of The Untamed Wilds
Lathir moves back and left 5' away from the fallen Troll at his feet. He scans the scene, assessing the progress, then gestures toward the the standing troll with his left hand calling forth another bolt of lightning.

OOC: GM, I will need you to roll damage. Base is 3d10 at this time.

Remove ads